Raconteurs 2nd Album

After spending a few weeks with this album, I think it's solid all the way through. Seems it missed the mark for many people but I can't count myself among them. Too early to tell but I may prefer this to Broken Boy Soldier. And I'll 3rd, or 4th, "Carolina Drama". Seems an odd choice to close the album but it works.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's still too early to say what will be typical for this tour. I have seen them twice (once was one of their first shows and the other was at a festival) and both were just over an hour. But now that they have a whole 'nother album of material, I'm hoping the shows are a bit longer.

i saw them last night in nashville and they played at least 90 minutes.

the new stuff sounded great live and the bbs material was a blast. very odd and entertaining version of broken boy soldier. was surprised how many of the songs off the new album brendan benson sang.

i saw them last night in nashville and they played at least 90 minutes.

the new stuff sounded great live and the bbs material was a blast. very odd and entertaining version of broken boy soldier. was surprised how many of the songs off the new album brendan benson sang.

Cool, well 90 minutes is better than 60, but I still thik they could do a longer show at this point. Any new covers?

These Stones Will Shout has been on constant rotation for me. The part where he's nearly screaming the lyrics:

"Speak to me and don't speak softly

Talk to me and let me know

Grab hold of my shoulder and tell me

Grab hold and do not let go"

LOVE it.

I can't believe how seriously the Raconteurs are taken. Bought the first album after rave reviews and the hearing the first single and was sorely disappointed. It's like the musical equivalent of that Gus Van Sant remake of "Pyscho". It just seems like a note-by-note recreation of late sixties heavy rock. If it was put out under another imitator's name like Lenny Kravitz most people would run a mile. Fair enough if it was put out as a true side project instead of being hyped to fuck.

I can't believe how seriously the Raconteurs are taken. Bought the first album after rave reviews and the hearing the first single and was sorely disappointed. It's like the musical equivalent of that Gus Van Sant remake of "Pyscho". It just seems like a note-by-note recreation of late sixties heavy rock. If it was put out under another imitator's name like Lenny Kravitz most people would run a mile. Fair enough if it was put out as a true side project instead of being hyped to fuck.

Well, well, well, if it isn't Renee Zellweger. Welcome!

It is definitely a nod to the great music of the past, but these are two of my favorite song writers right now, so you'll have to excuse me if I enjoy their music.

It helps greatly that The Raconteurs actually capture the spirit of the music that inspires them.

It also helps if you know the music of Jack and Brendan, both of whom wear their influences on their sleeves in almost all of their music.

Well, well, well, if it isn't Renee Zellweger. Welcome!

Thanks for that, my face hurts.

Although I respect everyone's right to their opinion -- if you enjoy rock n' roll music, I really don't know how its possible not to like the Raconteurs. It reminds me of Chuck Klosterman's story of interviewing Jeff Tweedy when Tweedy told him his son was in a band that covered Jet.

Klosterman made some sarcastic remark that it would take a band of 2nd graders to want to cover Jet.

Tweedy looked at him "like I had just made fun of a quadriplegic" and asked, "Well, don't you like rock music?"

Klosterman goes on to say he then realized, "A.) Jet plays rock music B.) I like rock music, and C.) I actually like Jet, both tangibly and intangibly."

Although I can't say I'm a fan of Jet (or the Jets, and am barely a fan of "Benny & the Jets") -- I think I'd be hard pressed not to have fun throwing back a few beers at a Jet show. For me, the same concept applies (on a more artistic level) to the Raconteurs. Its well-written, well-executed, poppy, hard rock, blues-based music. Its impossible for me not to like anything that fits that description. On top of meeting that fundamental criteria, I think this is one of the best rock albums I've heard in a while.

As far as why do the Raconteurs when you have the White Stripes -- anyone who knows the Stripes and Raconteurs well knows that their creations (while admittedly similar at times) are mutually exclusive. The Rac give Jack a bassist, a great collaborator and singer, and a drummer with real chops (sorry Meg you know I love you).

Thanks for that, my face hurts.

Although I respect everyone's right to their opinion -- if you enjoy rock n' roll music, I really don't know how its possible not to like the Raconteurs. It reminds me of Chuck Klosterman's story of interviewing Jeff Tweedy when Tweedy told him his son was in a band that covered Jet.

Klosterman made some sarcastic remark that it would take a band of 2nd graders to want to cover Jet.

Tweedy looked at him "like I had just made fun of a quadriplegic" and asked, "Well, don't you like rock music?"

Klosterman goes on to say he then realized, "A.) Jet plays rock music B.) I like rock music, and C.) I actually like Jet, both tangibly and intangibly."

Although I can't say I'm a fan of Jet (or the Jets, and am barely a fan of "Benny & the Jets") -- I think I'd be hard pressed not to have fun throwing back a few beers at a Jet show. For me, the same concept applies (on a more artistic level) to the Raconteurs. Its well-written, well-executed, poppy, hard rock, blues-based music. Its impossible for me not to like anything that fits that description. On top of meeting that fundamental criteria, I think this is one of the best rock albums I've heard in a while.

As far as why do the Raconteurs when you have the White Stripes -- anyone who knows the Stripes and Raconteurs well knows that their creations (while admittedly similar at times) are mutually exclusive. The Rac give Jack a bassist, a great collaborator and singer, and a drummer with real chops (sorry Meg you know I love you).

Point taken. I'd agree that the Raconteurs are on a similar level to Jet. The equivalent of a good looking covers band with attitude.

I think I'd be hard pressed not to have fun throwing back a few beers at a Jet show

I did just this when they came to the Vic a couple years ago and low and behold, The Blisters and their parents were watching from one of the boxes. It was a fun show.

• 5 weeks later...

more dates:

09/16/08 Roseland Theater w/ The Kills Portland, OR 6/7 at 10 am

09/17/08 Roseland Theater w/ The Kills Portland, OR 6/7 at 10 am

09/18/08 Malkin Bowl @ Stanley Park w/ The Kills Vancouver, BC 6/6 at 10 am

09/19/08 WaMu Theater w/ The Kills Seattle, WA 6/6 at 10 am

09/22/08 Greek Theater w/ The Kills Los Angeles, CA 6/7 at 12 pm

09/24/08 SDSU Open Air Theater w/ The Kills San Diego, CA 6/6 at 12 pm

09/25/08 Santa Barbara Bowl w/ The Kills Santa Barbara, CA 6/6 at 11 am

09/29/08 Cannon Center w/ The Kills Memphis, TN 6/6 at 10 am

09/30/08 Ryman Auditorium w/ The Kills Nashville, TN 6/6 at 10 am :dancing

10/01/08 The Tabernacle w/ The Kills Atlanta, GA 6/6 at 10 am