After pagin' through the new photos on WilcoWorld, and seeing them live a few times in the last month, i notice that Jeff's got not only a new pedalboard (no more PedalPad, booo hooo), but also a bunch of new pedals.

the only ones i can see for sure are:

EHX holy grail

Moog Analog Delay

Lovetone Big Cheese

boss tuner

dba Total Sonic Annihilation

it seems to me that the Prunes and Custard, BBE Treble booster, and Prescription Electronics Overdriver are the most conspicuously missing ones.

so what are all the other ones?... lots of little skinny things. anybody got any idea?

a good pic is number 66 from the Charles Harris Residency pics.

Notice he uses 2 Holy Grails, one on his main board and one thats linked to a volume pedal, I guess thats for those reverb swells he likes with acoustics

I still desperately want that Tweedy lead tone on AGIB, trouble is I have a feeling it might have less to do with his gear and more to do with his hands

that first photo on wilcoworld looks like Pat has quite the selection of pedals too, and John, I never understand why bass players would need lots of pedals??

both of you are correct. i got close enough to see some of their pedals at a recent show. here are some of the changes i've noticed:

- he's using a vintage colorsound overdriver instead of the perscription.

- he has a schroeder blister agent which i'm guessing he uses instead of the p&c

- freak show brown rabbit

there are 2 that i didn't recognize

- large white/off white pedal. 6 or more nobs. 2 footswitches????

- small bluish pedal with one switch and one chickenhead nob????

nels has also altered his pedal setup. he had a lovepedal eternity overdrive replacing the marshal guv'nor (or the rat if you are going off of his website). the tremulator was gone. fuzzy nutz distortion and mxr phase 90 were on there.

also, the schroeder amp that he has been using is now on sale on the schroeder site. if i only had $3000...

also, the schroeder amp that he has been using is now on sale on the schroeder site. if i only had $3000...

I'd like to give one a spin...

wilcoamp1.jpg

wilcoamp2.jpg

Specifications are:

Hand built from stem to stern (point to point wiring)

Custom thick gauge aluminum chassis

2 6L6

If yer looking for that AGIB tone, FourStrongWinds, I recently got a Rx Electronics Overdriver... and its does nicely. Of course, a lot of it is the ole Tweedy hands.

and i would love to know what pat has too. however, i think those pedals you think are johns are actually Andrew Bird's.

and yeah, what the hell is that many-knobbed white thing?

Theres a sound he makes, Its hard to descibe but im sure you know what I mean its like a warble but it sounds slightly electronic and glichy too, Neil Young gets it sometimes too

I'll check that out Reflected, I have a T-Rex Mudhoney that does the Crazy Horse thing spot on but I want something alot more fuzzy, with no bass whatsoever, like Syd Barrett Interstellar Overdrive

I was thinking of getting an EQ pedal and using it to cut all the bass out of my signal, along with the rex it could do the trick

Theres a sound he makes, Its hard to descibe but im sure you know what I mean its like a warble but it sounds slightly electronic and glichy too, Neil Young gets it sometimes too

I'll check that out Reflected, I have a T-Rex Mudhoney that does the Crazy Horse thing spot on but I want something alot more fuzzy, with no bass whatsoever, like Syd Barrett Interstellar Overdrive

I was thinking of getting an EQ pedal and using it to cut all the bass out of my signal, along with the rex it could do the trick

Electro Harmonix Microsynth

I think you guys are right those pedals during the Residency are Andrew Birds because on one of the picture you see John has a Boss TU-2 and probably some form of an overdrive right beside his amps.

Also Mikael has a few pedals on his top keyboard. His Nord Stage is on the bottom but I don't know what is on top, looks relatively old and I think he uses it for all the "weird" sounds (Spiders etc. when he's standing up).

Anyone know how these things sound. A traditional overdrive, or a more drastic fuzz?

I've had one for a while (before we saw it on Tweedy's board) ... it's a modified RAT circuit. Same basic tone as a RAT but a little less harsh & the bass is pretty tight. FWIW, it's a great pedal. I had mine built with a few extra options and I do use 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought Tweedy was using a BSM treble booster?

I'd love to get my hands on a Big cheese and colorsound overdrive.

I wonder if the guys would dig the BJF HBOD? I have one and it is a great pedal, it adds a great feel to my amp.

When did Tweedy switch to the new Vox rig?

I can get subtle grit ... but I have 5 clipping options vs. 3 so I'm not sure which ones are missing on the stock Rabbit. The BR is awesome at stage volume but it really shines at low (bedroom) volume too ... it totally blows away a RAT for playing at home. Anyway, not to be a cheerleader but I really love my Brown Rabbit and Digilog. :wub

• 5 weeks later...

So I got up close to the stage before the show in Grand Junction. Unfortunately I would have to climb on to get the full setup, but Tweedy has definitely been trying new things, and moving stuff around. The thing that stumped me was he had two tiny little pedals. Normal pedal length but only two inches or so across. Both just a button and one knob.

I also noticed he was using alot of pedals (I think all drive pedals) in tandem for his leads, probably to get an extra nasty tone. I laughed when he went into a lead and hit like three pedals for it, cocked his head a little and then turned one of them off on second thought, which made his tone louder. I do that sometimes......guitar players are tweakers.

Guest Rufer

I think this warble may be the product of the good ol' fashioned Bigsby trem--applied vigorously!

Perhaps, He does alot of vibrato too, with his fingers like Neil does too, whats nuts about Neil Young is when I saw him last month he played an LP Junior for most of the show and still sounded exactly the same as he does on Old Black

I toyed with the idea of getting a Bigsby on my tele but most people I spoke to about it said it was best left alone

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The big white pedal on Jeff's board is a custom made combo. It's a Glitch Computer Fuzz and a Pitch Pirate in a single (bigger) box made by Mid-Fi Electronics. Doug made that one as a special gift from Nels to Jeff on his birthday. Very cool indeed.