The Band - The Last Waltz dvd

hi there.

i posted a while back about a song on their 2nd album, and got some very helpful info from fellow Band fans here. Here's hoping you can help me now, too. i want to buy TLW on dvd, and thought i had read there was a special 4 disc version of it, but having looked around, can't find it anywhere. i've seen a 4 cd version, but not 4 dvd's. was there a 4 dvd edition? also, i read in an Amazon.co.uk review that the dvd has had the song Caravan (performed with Van Morrison) left off it. can anyone confirm that? if there is a version with Caravan on it, how can i identify it?

gracias amigos :)

I know there's a 4 CD version, which is wonderful... but I've never heard of a 4 DVD! Since DVDs can hold a lot more then CDs, it makes me wonder if they even had enough content from that night to make up 4 DVDs, I doubt it.

I know there's a 4 CD version, which is wonderful... but I've never heard of a 4 DVD! Since DVDs can hold a lot more then CDs, it makes me wonder if they even had enough content from that night to make up 4 DVDs, I doubt it.

Hm... I have never heard of a 4 DVD set either. I love "The Last Waltz" and bought it when it first made a debut on DVD format. I'm pretty sure that "Caravan" is on my copy. If not, my memory sure is slipping and I'm confusing the 2 disc audio set of TLW with the DVD.

Sorry, I just realized I'm no help being at work right now. On a related note, however, my iPod randomly chose to throw me "Evangeline" on the way back from Schlotzky's Deli today. I turned it up indeed!

Kevin

I believe there are two DVD versions:

Regular version that came out originally 5+ years ago.

Special Anniversary issue that came out a couple of years ago and features re-mastered sound, and extra bonus stuff like a running commentary by Scorcese and Robbie (which is pretty obnoxious). It also has footage of an intermezzo "extended jam session" - which is pretty boring. No one seemed very into it, except Neil Young and Levon Helm, as I recall.

I have the latter version, but it's at home. AFAIK both versions have 'Caravan' on them....it was definitely a major highlight of that evening.

the 4 disc is the box set, just make sure you get the special edition dvd its only one disc Used to watch this all the time till some asshole stole it.

the 4 disc is the box set, just make sure you get the special edition dvd its only one disc Used to watch this all the time till some asshole stole it.

Ooops....

Yea, the CD box set is pretty cool, but some of the extras are just filler, particularly some of the lame jamming, which is worth listening to exactly once. Some of the other extras are pretty cool though as I recall. (Frankly the three LP set from way back when is cool enough.)

LouieB

Ooops....

Yea, the CD box set is pretty cool, but some of the extras are just filler, particularly some of the lame jamming, which is worth listening to exactly once. Some of the other extras are pretty cool though as I recall. (Frankly the three LP set from way back when is cool enough.)

LouieB

Correct me if I'm wrong but the oringal three LP's didn't have the full concert? Cause the only "filler" on the box is the rehersal takes. I'd say the full show is defintly worth the listen as well as the tracks written for the film.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the oringal three LP's didn't have the full concert? Cause the only "filler" on the box is the rehersal takes. I'd say the full show is defintly worth the listen as well as the tracks written for the film.

I have the LP's in front of me, yes they did have the whole concert including the songs that were never in the film--

Down South In New Orleans - Dr.John w/Bobby Charles

Tura Lura Lural - Van Morrison duet with Richard Manuel (John Simon on piano)

I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) - Bob Dylan

..and also Out Of The Blue, which I don't recall being anywhere in the film.

The "filler" on the newer DVD was just the big jam session, which was a big phat dud.

Keep in mind the entire event was a gigantic cokefest. About the only interesting commentary piece from Scorcese was about how lucky they were to capture many of the scenes. :stunned Okay, really, I don't hate Scorcese or anything....he's brilliant, and he and crew did a great job on TLW. The other commentary I found enlightening was on the decision to use 35mm film -- he described how the cameras were never designed to do long shoots, how hot they would get, and stuff like that. Kinda cool.

There's actually some pretty wild trivia about TLW, over on IMDB. The kind of stuff that was predictably omitted from even the 'collectors edition' dvd...

I believe there are two DVD versions:

Regular version that came out originally 5+ years ago.

Special Anniversary issue that came out a couple of years ago and features re-mastered sound, and extra bonus stuff like a running commentary by Scorcese and Robbie (which is pretty obnoxious). It also has footage of an intermezzo "extended jam session" - which is pretty boring. No one seemed very into it, except Neil Young and Levon Helm, as I recall.

I have the latter version, but it's at home. AFAIK both versions have 'Caravan' on them....it was definitely a major highlight of that evening.

I love the Band.

I watch THE LAST WALTZ at least once a week (on Blu Ray).

Robbie Roberson is a complete and total egomaniacal ass hat.

I love the Band.

I watch THE LAST WALTZ at least once a week (on Blu Ray).

Robbie Roberson is a complete and total egomaniacal ass hat.

The Band is my favorite group outside of Wilco and The Beatles. I agree, Robbie has some ego problems but wow is he a fantastic songwriter. As far as I know, there is 2 versions of the DVD with the second one only adding remastered sound and no new notable footage, maybe a jam or two. There is a 4 disc CD set and I think a 2 disc. It's worth it for the extra stuff, like "Down South in New Orleans" and everything. Listen to how great Levon's drumming and vocals are. His performances are the only things that are completely live. Everything else has been edited at some point during the concert.

No matter how many Rolling Stones articles there are now and everything, the Band never did and will never get their proper due. They are a fantastic Band and Wilco shows some of their influence. Not to sound too creepy nuts, but I think during the commentary of "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" John says the footage of them in the loft reminds him of the old footage of the Band.

The Band is the best group of all time. Rock of Ages is completely amazing... screw the Last Waltz.

Amazing, but a little staid in places..the horns add alot.

The original LPs has more than enough of the original show to be good. Not much is really added with the jams, they are in fact pretty boring considering the talent involved.

LouieB

Amazing, but a little staid in places..the horns add alot.

The original LPs has more than enough of the original show to be good. Not much is really added with the jams, they are in fact pretty boring considering the talent involved.

LouieB

I would take Rock of Ages over the Last Waltz any day. Just for the version of "Unfaithful Servent" Danko's voice is amazing.

They're rerunning an interview with Levon on NPR (Fresh Air), as I type this.

Pretty fantastic interview.

I would take Rock of Ages over the Last Waltz any day. Just for the version of "Unfaithful Servent" Danko's voice is amazing.

true, but 'it makes no difference' on the last waltz is one of the better performances i've ever heard of any song.

They're rerunning an interview with Levon on NPR (Fresh Air), as I type this.

Pretty fantastic interview.

It's amazing he can sing as well as he does these days...he can barely talk.

It's amazing he can sing as well as he does these days...he can barely talk.

He's a throat cancer survivor.

true, but 'it makes no difference' on the last waltz is one of the better performances i've ever heard of any song.

Shit! You're completely right. That is the definitive recording of that song and might just be the best recorded performance of anything ever.

Since it is that time of year, I will say the version of The Weight they do with The Staples Singers is to me like Jesus sending a personal sunbeam right into my soul.

For a while now I've thought, someone should get Jeff to show up for Levon's Midnight Ramble... (hint, hint)

The price of admission is a bit steep, but I'd go.

For a while now I've thought, someone should get Jeff to show up for Levon's Midnight Ramble... (hint, hint)

The price of admission is a bit steep, but I'd go.

Actually a hundred bucks is starting to sound cheap.

LouieB