Favorite album(s) by....

List your single favorite; rank your Top 5, or whatever.

But an explanation as to what about the album MAKES it your favorite would be nice.

For me:

Younger Than Yesterday

Just the songs. I don't know. It's the first of their albums that has NO involvement, whatsoever, from Gene Clark. And, while his presence is certainly missed, there's an intangible quality to the record that just keeps me going with it. The first Chris Hillman compositions are on here and, Clarence White's playing on "Time Between" is freaking sublime.

After that one, it's probably:

Mr. Tambourine Man

Sweethearts Of the Rodeo

Fifth Dimension

Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde

and then everything else.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Tambourine Man

Turn! Turn! Turn!

Fifth Dimension

Younger Than Yesterday

The Notorious Byrd Brothers

Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde

Ballad of Easy Rider

(Untitled)

Byrdmaniax

Farther Along

Byrds

Live at the Fillmore

The Preflyte Sessions

I have all of the above - the re-issues are very nice sound and package wise.

I have all of the original vinyls (except for the Filmore which was only on CD). All of the Pre-flyte records are great. There are several of them.

I particularly like Untitled among the later stuff.

LouieB

5D was one of the first, if not the first, LPs I ever owned ( The Stones' "High Tide and Green Grass" hits LP was probably the first) so I would have to say it's still my favorite. I love "Yesterday" as well - the song "Mind Gardens" is one of the most acid-drenched things the band ever did.

I also love Untitled and the Live Fillmore records. They are a showcase for the amazing Clarence White. And of course, "Sweetheart" still gets a lot of spins here.

(untitled)

although the cd version (untitled)/(unissued) is great when you don't want to sit through the 16 minute version of Eight Miles High. The Byrds are one of my favorite bands but I listen to them as more of a singles band. Not necessarily their official singles but rather I jump around and become obsessed with a number of songs at a time. I love the "Ballad of Easy Rider" live version on the (untitled)/(unissued) disc. Clarence White was a great addition to that band at the time.

Younger Than Yesterday is my favorite as well, their cover of My Back Pages is one of my favorite songs ever. Sweetheart of the Rodeo was huge in my development as a music listener, it really got me interested in country-rock, which lead me to Wilco, ultimately. Notorious Byrd Brothers and 5D are a close tie for third, and Untitled is a great record. Clarence White is one of my favorite guitar players.

--Mike

Sweetheart of the Rodeo - how many times has this been re-released now? 4?
It could be...frankly the first single disk reissue is good enough. I picked up the double and it has interesting stuff for those who want everything, but nothing else essential.

Untitled is a really underrated record. Clarence White's vocals sound like butter on Truck Stop Girl.
Exactly... (I actually saw this version of the Byrds at Royal Albert Hall....)

LouieB

Younger Than Yesterday is my favorite.

When I'm in the mood for an album like Sweetheart, I tend to find myself reaching for Flying Burrito Brothers instead, to be honest. Still a great album though.

01. Younger Than Yesterday

02. Sweetheart of the Rodeo

03. Mr. Tambourine Man

04. Notorious Byrd Brothers

05. Fifth Dimension

06. Turn! Turn! Turn!

those are the only albums i have by the Byrds sadly.

Younger Than Yesterday and Turn Turn Turn have both been on my list of CDs I'd like to buy for some time now, so I can't comment on them (although I do know the Byrds' version of My Back Pages is great). Of the ones I have, I'd order them as follows:

5D

Mr. Tambourine Man

Notorious Byrd Bros.

Sweetheart

Never a big fan of the Graham Parsons era, though I know that's sacrilege around here. :lol

• 3 weeks later...

I've just listened to the first six albums in a row, and my favourites go like this:

1. Younger than Yesterday (though I dislike the opener) - the most interesting as a whole album

2. Mr Tambourine Man - the most harmonious of the early phase

3. Sweet heart of the Rodeo - it's like another band - a good country album

4. Fifth Dimension (don't like the opner either) - uneven, but the high sides are the most adventurous of their whole body of work

5. Turn Turn Turn - interesting formula: put traditional stuff in electric fashion

6. The Notorious Byrd Brothers - really weird stuff, hard to connect to - but some nice moments

general observation: I'm not a fan of the Byrds and prefer the Doors by a wide marge

general observation: I'm not a fan of the Byrds and prefer the Doors by a wide marge
No offense, but you have to be kidding....

But then again maybe you didn't grow up having to listen to the Doors be played to death on the radio.

The importance of the Byrds can't ever be minimized.

LouieB