Either way, following their track record, it's bound to be great. They haven't released an album that's not great yet.

Lifter Puller either...

if you've yet to check out Craig & Tad's old band, do so now... i still prefer a lot of LP's stuff to THS.

I have Fiestas + Fiascos. It's okay. I don't think it holds up to BAGIA, SS, or AKM, all of which are outstanding in my opinion.

fair enough. i'm certainly biased as i was a LP fan before The Hold Steady and saw them a couple times, but i'd agree that THS's music is more accessible that's for sure.

Hopefully Stay Positive is better than B+G, because B+G, which was a great listen but a lot worse than Seperation Sunday.

I agree with this. Enjoyed B&G to the max, but Separation Sunday was in a whole other league.

And I also agree with Kyle about Lifter Puller. It took me quite awhile to figure out that they weren't horrible. At first, I thought they were just a poor man's Hold Steady. So wrong.

And I also agree with Kyle about Lifter Puller. It took me quite awhile to figure out that they weren't horrible. At first, I thought they were just a poor man's Hold Steady. So wrong.

Lifter Puller are more funny/tongue in cheek than The Hold Steady, is part of why I enjoy them so much.

as for BAGIA vs. Seperation Sunday, well Almost Killed Me is still my favorite for a few reasons, but i'd put the last 2 at about a tie. BAGIA has the bigger anthems, that's for sure.

BAGIA is one of my favorite albums of the last 5 years. I think that's their best. But lyrically their first two albums are killer, more so even than BAGIA. Craig Finn writes some of the best one liners of all time, but the whole songs are great too.

" She said 'It's good to see you back in a bar band, baby.' I said 'Its great to see you're still in the bars"

Brilliant.

The songwriting on AKM is awesome. I remember the first time I listened to it I had a big 'ol shit-eating grin on.

Mary's got a bloody nose from sniffing margarita mix. She licked her lower lip and then she kissed that halleluiah chick. She came off kind of spicy but she tasted like those pickle chips. We thought she was a dancer but her steps they made the records skip. She came off kind of crunchy but she went down like a chicken strip. Dripping wet with the special sauce. She had a confidence smile and a nervous cough. We got off.

Brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

May 16 2008 10:15P The Great Escape @ The Old Market Brighton, UK

Jun 8 2008 8:00P Devore Stadium Field - Southwestern College Chula Vista, California

Jun 27 2008 8:00P Rams Head Live Baltimore, Maryland

Jun 28 2008 12:00P Festival Pier - The Paul Green School of Rock Music Festival w/Devo Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Jun 29 2008 8:00P McCarren Pool - JELLYNYC