Jack Johnson Headliner

i love the argument: 'how can he/she be so popular when there is so much better music out there: like wilco, etc' but then if wilco,etc were to get real popular these same people would probably bitch that their fave band is too popular!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Johnson is very average, but I also think his music's a lot more likeable than most of the average music out there. For instance, I've reviewed both his new album and Magnetic Fields' new album and I found them about similar in quality, but I've listened to Jack's a lot more because it's just easier to listen to. I think there's something very likable about his music that brings me back, even though I know it's not necessarily great music.

the latest Magnetic Fields album is awful, one of the worst in their catalog actually

Sorry, bobbob, but that's what people do here in Someone Else's Song -- they express opinions about music. "Jack Johnson sucks" is an appropriate response to the initial post in this thread -- an affirmation of its thesis. You're getting a little high and mighty about this, and I don't get it. There are plenty of other threads out there that won't offend your sensibilities ... maybe it's time to move on?

So you think it's cool to say "Jack Johnson blows" 4 times in the span of 25 posts and add nothing else to the conversation?

I understand disagreeing, but be constructive about it. There's no point to posts like his, especially over and over. And I really don't feel like discussing it anymore, since that's exactly what this character wants.

I think you are making it seem like I'm making a bigger deal about this than I was. I said one thing and he started antagonizing. I let it go. I'm over it. I'd prefer if people actually had some substance to their posts, and I suspect if it wasn't a thread about someone who is almost universally disliked on this board, there would be more people agreeing with me.

Case in point, I had some nasty things said to me once because I said I didn't care that Dinosaur Jr were reuniting. I didn't say they sucked, or express any opinion about there music. Just said I didn't really care one way or the other that they were reuniting.

Why is he a headliner? Commerically he is big and he stretches the demographic for these festivals. On a practical note, if you are attending a three day festival this is the perfect opportunity to leave early one night and catch some Z's.... Nice guy, very environmentally conscious and better background music than anything else.

I dunno I think he writes some decent catchy tunes, totally agree that he hasn't evolved musically or lyrically and I don't find that very admirable but at least he isn't a pretentious dick about his music.

I'm sorry that this forum cannot live up to your (impossibly high) expectations.

You realize this is the Internet, right?

yes, but i'd like to think that Via is a bit better on average than the rest of the net...

i love the argument: 'how can he/she be so popular when there is so much better music out there: like wilco, etc' but then if wilco,etc were to get real popular these same people would probably bitch that their fave band is too popular!

I think my original argument is more that Wilco can rock a festival harder than Jack Johnson. The music might be better also but at least it rocks. Jack Johnson sold millions of records with no gimmick; that is amazing. But that music is just not exciting enough to top bills of actual rock bands that actually rock.

Also, I can't see myself bitching about how popular my favorite band is unless I suddenly couldn't get tickets.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize this conversation regarding Jack Johnson's merits has quieted down, but I thought he made some interesting comments about his own music in a story in Paste.

"Sometimes I ask myself, 'Would I listen to my music?' I

Don't they pick headlining acts because they're popular, and appeal to a mass audience? It seems to me that Jack Johnson does that.

I went to a Jack Johnson show at red rocks a few summers ago, and it was enjoyable enough. I didn't feel the need to rush out and buy any of his cds, but it wasn't the worst concert I've ever been to. I was surprised at how loyal his fans seem to be, and how knowledgable they are about his music.

did anybody see the SNL skit from this past weekend spoofing Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews and John Mayer? Kinda funny. I think those 3 guys could make a killling if they had a traveling music fest. Every white suburban kid lacking taste in music would go.

did anybody see the SNL skit from this past weekend spoofing Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews and John Mayer? Kinda funny. I think those 3 guys could make a killling if they had a traveling music fest. Every white suburban kid lacking taste in music would go.

:lol but then again....think of the number of ladies goin' to THAT show.

I would imagine the subtle grooviness of jack johnson's style would come across poorly in any festival environment. I like him 'cause my woman likes him and he's just so consistent with his cheesy goodness. Fine for my patio this summer, but I would pass on him with a large crowd.