Jack Johnson Headliner

Calling them "humorous" may be a stretch, but the fact is, Buffett didn't seem to take himself too seriously. That's why his name shouldn't be invoked when talking about Jack Johnson, who seems dead serious about his suckitude.

Johnsin is suck.

I am stunned by the complete lack of redeeming qualities in his music.

There are no melodies. There is no life. There is nothing even remotely musically inventive happening. His songs are a shapeless, lifeless pile of sludge.

He reminds me of the shit some self-absorbed high school kid would write after two weeks of guitar lessons.

The fact that this guy is so popular while a fucking genius like Jay Farrar toils in obscurity blows my mind.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Johnson blows goats. Prefab formulaic radio-ready horseshit.

now... hate his music all you want, but his music is so not "prefab", sorry dude. the guy had no intentions whatsoever of even being a full time musician if you know anything about his past. he was convinced to do so by his friends (one of which who happened to be Ben Harper). had he not had a terrible surfing accident, he'd still be on the pro surfing circuit and/or making surf films. his songs/music were just things he'd play around a campfire, etc. until 8 years ago.

Calling them "humorous" may be a stretch, but the fact is, Buffett didn't seem to take himself too seriously. That's why his name shouldn't be invoked when talking about Jack Johnson, who seems dead serious about his suckitude.

and actually Jack doesn't take himself or his music career all that serious at all to be perfectly honest. he was as shocked as anyone with how much he blew up.

and actually Jack doesn't take himself or his music career all that serious at all to be perfectly honest. he was as shocked as anyone with how much he blew up.

Interesting. I admit I haven't bothered to investigate (because I can't stand his stuff) -- so my impressions are based solely on what little I've seen of him.

Not that this changes my overall opinion of him any.

Interesting. I admit I haven't bothered to investigate (because I can't stand his stuff) -- so my impressions are based solely on what little I've seen of him.

Not that this changes my overall opinion of him any.

funny thing is, my friend who accompanied me to a lot of those Ben Harper shows Jack opened kept telling Jack he was going to be huge in 2 years and even bigger than Ben himself, and Jack just shook his head in disbelief.

the fact that Jack's music has mass appeal doesn't surprise me really, but deep down it is what it is, just fun/light-hearted/sunny day beachcomber surf music.

fwiw, Jack's bass player Merlo played in the band Spain, if you're familiar at all with them, which featured Josh Haden (brother of Rachel & Petra Haden) and has played with Dan the Automator on various projects (Deltron 3030, Lovage, etc.)

dude sucks beyond belief

truly wretched

that's a rough one

both just suck beyond comprehension

Johnsin is suck.

I am stunned by the complete lack of redeeming qualities in his music.

There are no melodies. There is no life. There is nothing even remotely musically inventive happening. His songs are a shapeless, lifeless pile of sludge.

He reminds me of the shit some self-absorbed high school kid would write after two weeks of guitar lessons.

The fact that this guy is so popular while a fucking genius like Jay Farrar toils in obscurity blows my mind.

Not sure what the point of all three of these posts is.

Someone gave me a copy of his first album many years ago and it's listenable in small doeses. I'd probably tend to think of it as background music, but as such it is generally okay. I don't play it often, but I can somewhat understand the guy's popularity. Headlining a major festival seems a bit of a stretch, although I can't really picture Wilco in that spot either.

By the way, if anybody out there knows WTF bubbly toes are, could you please fill me in? Thank you.

So he's our generation's Hootie and the Blowfish - a guy who's success vastly outstrips his talent/ambition?

By the way, if anybody out there knows WTF bubbly toes are, could you please fill me in? Thank you.

Still don't know what those are and that song's lyrics are so absolutely awful it's a turn-off to the whole album. I dig the tune "Flake" to some extent (moreso than anything else in his catalog) but, yeah...awful.

I like Jack Johnson's music. As solace said, it is what it is and I like it for what it is. I don't pretend that it's profound or groundbreaking, and I don't think all music has to be either of those things. I am a recovering music snob, and Jack Johnson is part of that recovery! :D

For whatever reason he's become one of those artists people have decided to hate, and some people hate him with a passion that seems weird/undeserved. I don't think I'd ever go see him in concert, but I like throwing his music on every once in a while. And I agree that it seems weird to choose him as a headliner for a festival.

Now I will proceed to say you suck 5 or 6 times over the course of this thread. Won't that be fun.

that's cool. your opinion is welcome here. like everybody else's

Blah, whatever, you don't like him. Go post about someone you do like.

thanks for the kind words.

seriously, you have a thin skin if a couple negative posts about a hack like Jack Johnson bother you that much

it's a message board, brah ... lighten up ... it's all about opinions

I just think it's useless. I think it's useless when anyone goes into a thread about an artist for the sole purpose of slagging them. Yeah, it's a message board, but you know, saying you don't like him once is plenty. We get it, we are all very intelligent people here.

I just think it's useless. I think it's useless when anyone goes into a thread about an artist for the sole purpose of slagging them. Yeah, it's a message board, but you know, saying you don't like him once is plenty. We get it, we are all very intelligent people here.

kind of like how you've now posted five times how much you dislike me! 14.gif

For whatever reason he's become one of those artists people have decided to hate

Same reason people love to hate Dave Matthews. On its own, the music itself is safe and inoffensive enough that its hard to understand anybody getting too worked up about it. But its the standard backlash for any artist who is perceived to be more popular than their music warrants: "OMG, I can't believe people like this crap when there is obviously so much superior music out there." I dunno. I can think of plenty of acts that annoy me more than Jack Johnson. I can think of plenty that are better, too. I guess I'm kind of indifferent. Then why am I still posting in this thread? Shit, am I still typing? The voices in my head must be taking over...

I think Johnson is very average, but I also think his music's a lot more likeable than most of the average music out there. For instance, I've reviewed both his new album and Magnetic Fields' new album and I found them about similar in quality, but I've listened to Jack's a lot more because it's just easier to listen to. I think there's something very likable about his music that brings me back, even though I know it's not necessarily great music.

Jack is the Jimmy Buffett of this generation, pretty damn sure of that.

I am not a fan of Jack Johnson (sorry Bobbob), but invoking Buffett as a comparison might be a little extreme. I can ignore Jack Johnson's music when it's on, but Buffett's makes me want to either leave the room or destroy the CD player. And I can't forgive his kidnapping of Kenny Loggins Yacht Rock # 11. "It's mellow, but not smooth, kind of shitty... Jimmy Buffett."

--Mike

Sorry, bobbob, but that's what people do here in Someone Else's Song -- they express opinions about music. "Jack Johnson sucks" is an appropriate response to the initial post in this thread -- an affirmation of its thesis. You're getting a little high and mighty about this, and I don't get it. There are plenty of other threads out there that won't offend your sensibilities ... maybe it's time to move on?