Opening Act for May shows

I just saw on the Pageant's website that Retribution Gospel Choir will be the "special guest" for all 3 wilco shows in STL in May.

Here is the link. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. I didn't see it anywhere else, but also did not look too hard.

I'm at work and can't listen to the songs on their Myspace page, but please let them not be awful, since I'll be seeing them three nights in a row.

Don't know to much about them, but not that excited.

I just did a quick Google search and it looks like it's a side project of Alan Sparhawk from Low. Their MySpace says they're from Duluth, Minnesota, so that seems right. I don't know too much about their actual music, but if it's possible, I bet Nels will probably sit in for a song or two like he did when another of Alan's side projects, The Black-Eyed Snakes, opened for Wilco a couple years back.

I just did a quick Google search and it looks like it's a side project of Alan Sparhawk from Low. Their MySpace says they're from Duluth, Minnesota, so that seems right. I don't know too much about their actual music, but if it's possible, I bet Nels will probably sit in for a song or two like he did when another of Alan's side projects, The Black-Eyed Snakes, opened for Wilco a couple years back.

Thats what I got from it also. I have to be in the right mood at the exact time the moon is in line with Orion's belt to listen to these guys. Will I be seeing you at these shows? We need to do a picnic in Forest Park!

Wilcoworld is showing the Retribution Gospel Choir as the openers for the whole spring tour now.

Sweet! That should be good. I like Low. Thanks for the heads up!

RGC are great! much more rockin' than Low, but not quite as dirty as Black Eyed Snakes. they often play Low songs too, but reworked/sped up. a lot of the songs off Drums and Guns were originally honed during RGC live shows, and i much prefer the RGC versions of almost all of those songs.

Mark Kozelek produced their recently released debut full length as well, and has played/toured with them in the past (he's busy w/ his own touring now tho)

how crazy is it that Alan has now opened up for Wilco with THREE different bands?? :o

Well, I was hoping for Andrew Bird, which would've been great. I don't know Low or this guy and just hope it doesn't suck. I've got tix for all 3 nights and if, watching the opening act that first night, and if they suck, that's gonna be a painful three hours over the course of those nights.

I would love to see them be their own opening act.

:dontgetit

Stay with me on this -

the bill would be as such:

(The side band that Mikael is in whose name escapes me)

Glen Kotche doing selections from Mobile

The Nels Cline Singers

Autumn Defense

Tweedy solo acoustic

Wilco

It could be just a few songs each, and maybe it could just be Wilco playing each group's songs, but it could totally be done.

Will it happen? No. Would it be cool? Hell yes!

Well, I was hoping for Andrew Bird

He is in the middle of recording an album.

(The side band that Mikael is in whose name escapes me)

Pronto is the name and their music is great.

It could be just a few songs each, and maybe it could just be Wilco playing each group's songs, but it could totally be done.

I agree. I think the best way to do that would to have the full band work some of those songs into their set. Some of Mikael's songs, Autumn Defense songs, Loose Fur stuff, etc, etc. The band could easily rock them out if they wanted to. Of course they would never do this, but it would be awesome.