Opening Act for May shows

I am really hoping for Andrew Bird, or (it's a long shot) Eef Barzelay. But yeah, a longer night of all Wilco would be great. I have really liked their setlists lately. A good mix of songs.

I hope it's somebody good, since I'll be hearing him/her/them two (hopefully three) nights in a row. I was hoping Carla Bozulich's group Evangelista might open, since they're touring now and have a new album out (which, incidentally, is amazing), but they'll be in Europe during that time.

I think if we hype Eef enough around here, maybe someone will take notice. He does have a new album to pimp and all. Not that it matters too much to me as I won't be making it to any shows.

Boo hoo hoo! Hoo hoo! :cryin

Does anyone know Stubbs? What is it like?

it's a great little outdoor amphitheater type place. it's not "little" i guess, it probably holds around 1500 people. the stage is at the bottom of a slope so you can see from almost any spot in the crowd. the drinks are usually pretty strong, the bbq is delish, and since these shows are in may it shouldn't be too unbearably hot. some of the best shows i've ever seen have been at stubb's.

The shows for StL don't start til 8 pm each night..wouldn't that lead you to believe there wouldn't be an opening act? Wouldn't the shows start at 7 or 7:30 if they had an opener?

do they start at 8:00 or is that when doors open? i've been to plenty of shows that started after 8:00 that had opening acts, especially on weekends. i think the show i went to in houston a few weeks ago started at 8:00, john doe opened.

it's a great little outdoor amphitheater type place. it's not "little" i guess, it probably holds around 1500 people. the stage is at the bottom of a slope so you can see from almost any spot in the crowd. the drinks are usually pretty strong, the bbq is delish, and since these shows are in may it shouldn't be too unbearably hot. some of the best shows i've ever seen have been at stubb's.

Hey thanks that sounds great - we will be at 2 Stubbs shows. barbecue for sure

do they start at 8:00 or is that when doors open? i've been to plenty of shows that started after 8:00 that had opening acts, especially on weekends. i think the show i went to in houston a few weeks ago started at 8:00, john doe opened.

According to wilcoworld

Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:00 PM

Doors: 7:00 PM

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:00 PM

Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:00 PM

So doors open at 7...and you have an hour or so to wait before the show starts :)

unfortunately the great little mexican food place across the street from stubb's is closed on sundays and closes at 2:00 on mondays. total bummer because they have huge pitchers of patron margaritas for like $28. it's the perfect place for pre-show drinks.

When I saw them in Philadelphia, doors opened at 7, John Doe played from 8 to about 8:30, and Wilco was on a little after 9 and played until 11:15.

yeah, that's pretty much exactly how the houston show was.

Unfortunately, the barbecue at Stubb's is nothing to write home about. I would recommend visiting one of many other restaurants in Austin (Curras, Manuel's, Eastside Cafe, Threadgills, Suzi's, Romeo's, the list is endless) for a late lunch before heading over to Stubb's to get in line. At least, that's my plan.

Unfortunately, the barbecue at Stubb's is nothing to write home about. I would recommend visiting one of many other restaurants in Austin (Curras, Manuel's, Eastside Cafe, Threadgills, Suzi's, Romeo's, the list is endless) for a late lunch before heading over to Stubb's to get in line. At least, that's my plan.

it's not bad bbq though, and it's easy since it's sold at the venue.

i've only eaten at romeo's once but it was the most disgusting meal i've ever had. very disappointing.

the best pizza in town is just a couple blocks away from stubb's (for after the show since they're not usually open during the day). it's on 7th street next to red 7. hoek's. DELICIOUS! it used to be on 6th next to the ritz but when the drafthouse bought out the ritz, they closed the pizza window. they just re-opened on 7th right before sxsw and i couldn't be more excited!!

it's not bad bbq though, and it's easy since it's sold at the venue.

i've only eaten at romeo's once but it was the most disgusting meal i've ever had. very disappointing.

the best pizza in town is just a couple blocks away from stubb's (for after the show since they're not usually open during the day). it's on 7th street next to red 7. hoek's. DELICIOUS! it used to be on 6th next to the ritz but when the drafthouse bought out the ritz, they closed the pizza window. they just re-opened on 7th right before sxsw and i couldn't be more excited!!

Hey anyone know if you can bring a camera in to Stubbs? I was wondering too if you eat there if they give you priority in line - this happened at house of Blues in NOLA - we ate and then got near front of the GA line. I would suffer bad barbecue if that is true! We should plan to gather for brews and pizza post show or something, if not pre-show -

Hey anyone know if you can bring a camera in to Stubbs? I was wondering too if you eat there if they give you priority in line - this happened at house of Blues in NOLA - we ate and then got near front of the GA line. I would suffer bad barbecue if that is true! We should plan to gather for brews and pizza post show or something, if not pre-show -

no, the line to get into the venue is separate from the restaurant. i've been to a venue in seattle that gives priority to the people in the attached restaurant but i've never seen them do it at stubb's. stubb's allows cameras as long as the bands do.

post show i will probably get a slice of pizza and head to side bar on 7th to finish off the night. they let you bring food in, i love it!