What's the rarest record or memorabilia you have from any band?

I have 2 copies of R.E.M.'s first single on vinyl of Radio Free Europe/Sitting Still on the Hib Tone label. I have seen them go anywhere from $100-500 on ebay based on the condition. I also have a Bruce Springsteen and Eric Clapton signed picture. The best autographs I obtained in person were Billy Joel ,Tom Petty and Elliott Smith who signed cd's for me. I also have almost all the Led Zepplin albums on vinyl..not sure how much that is worth but I am glad I have em. :monkey

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Original vinyl of:

Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (MGM)

Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground (MGM)

Velvet Underground - Loaded (Cotillion)

Emmitt Rhodes - Emmitt Rhodes (Dunhill)

At least, I think that they're rare. Not really a collector, so I'm not too hip on that. I just like the music.

I really don't have anything (I'm a digital music white guy) but there is a box full of records at my grandparents that I'm sure are worth thousands.. Several Beatles albums, Rolling stones, CCR, all in mint condition..

Oh, I also have a test-pressing of some late-period Benny Goodman record on Chess Records.

It's multi-colored vinyl and pretty swank-looking.

Can't remember the name of the album, but my mom's family was friends with the Chesses in the 50's when they lived on the South Side, so she got it from them.

I have some fairly rare vinyl, but it's been so long since I dusted it off that I barely remember what's there anymore. I believe I have a first pressing of Surrealistic Pillow, but I don't think it's that rare. Hmmm. Maybe I should flip through my records tonight.

My rarest CD is probably Powerbill by The Semantics. Never released in the U.S., and I doubt there are more than a handful of copies on these shores.

Probably the Misfits 12 Hits From Hell cd, which was never officially released (the story is that thousands of these cds were destroyed when legal issues stopped the release a couple weeks before it was supposed to hit stores, but a few dozen discs were "saved" by opportunistic people working in the Caroline Records warehouse).

don't know if these are rare necessarily...

Original U2-3 7" (& originals of pretty much all of U2's 45 releases thru The Joshua Tree)

Police Regatta de Blanc on 2 10" records

Bunch of 45s on vinyl of various colors, including some Prince 45s on purple vinyl

I have a solo record by Zal Yanovsky of the Lovin Spoonful on KamaSutra records. It may not be worth all that much (pretty beat up and was 99 cents when I bought it) but I have never seen it since.

I also have Garland Jeffery's first album on Atlantic (two copies actually) and his original album with Grinderswitch.

LouieB

I have a solo record by Zal Yanovsky of the Lovin Spoonful on KamaSutra records. It may not be worth all that much (pretty beat up and was 99 cents when I bought it) but I have never seen it since.

LouieB

Alive and Well In Argentina

Alive and Well In Argentina
Yup...see it can't be that rare.

Frankly I don't know how rare most vinyl is. Most records, even the Velvet Underground albums, were made by the thousands, tens of thousands probably. Albums that appeared to be rare at one time now show up in stores with some regularity, since more people are parting with them.

LouieB

Yup...see it can't be that rare.

Frankly I don't know how rare most vinyl is. Most records, even the Velvet Underground albums, were made by the thousands, tens of thousands probably. Albums that appeared to be rare at one time now show up in stores with some regularity, since more people are parting with them.

LouieB

I don't think it is on cd - at least not here. I have noticed that sometimes, albums have been released on cd, but only Japan or whatever. For example, one of the Who cds I don't have is Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy. I have owned the record since I was a kid - but I would like to have the actual cd.

There are several Hendrix albums that do not exist on cd - but the family has actually released most of those tracks in a different configuration. Hendrix in the West - for example.

There are several Hendrix albums that do not exist on cd - but the family has actually released most of those tracks in a different configuration. Hendrix in the West - for example.

I'd love a new copy of "Nine to the Universe". My tape of that squeals when I play it. Do you know if those tunes are on any of the newer Hendrix releases?

Back to rarities...

I have the Hampton Grease Band lp. I've only seen it two other times. It's supposedly the second worst selling album in Columbia Records history. I suspect it's not as rare as some would like to think, though.

Feelies "Crazy Rhythms" on white vinyl. I don't know if that's rare, but I've never seen another copy.

Nels Cline Trio "Ground" triple 7".

Roy Haynes "We Three" signed by Haynes.

Pere Ubu "Hearthen Singles" box set. I bought it new in the mid '90s, but I've never seen another copy of this.

I have 2 copies of R.E.M.'s first single on vinyl of Radio Free Europe/Sitting Still on the Hib Tone label. I have seen them go anywhere from $100-500 on ebay based on the condition. I also have a Bruce Springsteen and Eric Clapton signed picture. The best autographs I obtained in person were Billy Joel ,Tom Petty and Elliott Smith who signed cd's for me. I also have almost all the Led Zepplin albums on vinyl..not sure how much that is worth but I am glad I have em. :monkey

Have loads of vinyl and none of it worth anything. You see, I actually played the records. Played the a LOT. I mean...I have a LOT of vinyl (upwards of 2000 AFTER I significantly downsized in the mid-90's). The original Capitol Beatles catalogue...extremely worn and used. Original pressing of Led Zeppelin (I)...extremely worn. The REM ep...without a sleeve.

I buy music to consume...enjoy. I do not treat my music as an investment. Albums, books, and bread...CONSUMER ITEMS. It's just that the bread is gone once it is consumed. Books and Albums continue to be consumed.

I have NEVER asked and will never ask an artist for an autograph. I find this to be demeaning to the artist and to myself.

I am a crumudgeon...I admit it.

Have loads of vinyl and none of it worth anything. You see, I actually played the records. Played the a LOT. I buy music to consume...enjoy. I do not treat my music as an investment.

I have NEVER asked and will never ask an artist for an autograph. I find this to be demeaning to the artist and to myself.

I am a crumudgeon...I admit it.

Who said I never played them( I just may have handled these records with a bit of extra care) verse a typical record in my collection? I don't feel an autograph is demeaning depends how it is approached.

Pere Ubu "Hearthen Singles" box set. I bought it new in the mid '90s, but I've never seen another copy of this.
I have a copy of this as well. It was pressed in the 90s in limited release (2000). They are not the original singles (now THOSE would be rare.) I have copy 1147 which I bought in Cleveland Heights at Record Revolution. What number did you get? They are VERY cool. I have some of the original vinyl releases of the albums too, Modern Dance particularly, which has been reissued on vinyl. The later ones are fairly common.

OH another rarity I have is a sort of "beat" copy of Jack Kerouac's album with Steve Allen.

LouieB

I have a ton of vinyl (>2000) but not much of it is rare. Most of my more valuable records are classicals, a few jazz (Mosaic box sets and such). As far as rare/collectible rock, not a lot. I have mint original pressings of Tommy, DSOTM, The Mugwumps, that sort of thing. I have a mint White Album (The Beatles) that is a fairly early mono pressing, I believe it's a 2nd pressing. Paid $20 for that and it's probably worth $100 or so. I have a Hendrix purple box set from the first run, too.

I'd love a new copy of "Nine to the Universe". My tape of that squeals when I play it. Do you know if those tunes are on any of the newer Hendrix releases?

One of the few Hendrix releases I don't have - I almost have everything. I think I have seen it on a torrent site somewhere - it was released on cd at some point.

The family did this:

The complete and unedited recordings of "Drone Blues" and "Jimi/Jimmy Jam" were released in 2004 on the Dagger Records album Hear My Music (Dagger CATF-05153-2)

I have not bothered with the Dagger Records releases - there is a lot of Hendrix unreleased studio stuff on dime a dozen and tape city.

I also have this "bootleg" vinyl compilation of OLD Parliment singles.

The picture of the band on the cover, they looked so clean-cut, like this:

13_parliaments.jpg

Most of the songs made it on to the Osmium album (some of them in different recordings), but some of them didn't.

The original version of "Testify" is a barn-burner.

And you bet your ass I played that thing!!!

There used to be a member of this place with a sealed Beatles baby-massacre lp.

when it came up in one of these type of threads, everything sorta stopped.

Does anyone recall this, and who it might have been? I'd be interested in talking to that member. Thanks.

Who said I never played them( I just may have handled these records with a bit of extra care) verse a typical record in my collection? I don't feel an autograph is demeaning depends how it is approached.

More my problem than yours. When I was a teenager, I cared not for the dust jacket...worn and frayed is a good description of my older records.

Not to derail this thread...but I really dislike the concept of seeking autographs. I could see asking the artist if he minded if I took his picture, but there is something about autograph seeking that is both awkward for the artist and the autograph seeker. I picture the scene in IATTBYH and I literally cringe at the awkwardness of the moment. And in that scenario, Jeff was incredibly gracious and the lady was giddily star struck. It is my hangup, but I would NEVER ask for an autograph.