How in the hell did this pass under the radar?

Well, I say that the Democratic Party changed. The Democratic Party

today was not the party it was in 2000. It's not the Bill Clinton-Al

Gore party, which was strong internationalists, strong on defense, pro-

trade, pro-reform in our domestic government. It's been effectively

taken over by a small group on the left of the party that is

protectionist, isolationist and basically will --and very, very

hyperpartisan. So it pains me. I'm a Democrat who came to the party in

the era of President John F. Kennedy. It's a strange turn of the road

when I find among the candidates running this year that the one, in my

opinion, closest to the Kennedy legacy, the John F. Kennedy legacy, is

John S. McCain.

-- Joe Lieberman

ABC's "This Week"

March 30, 2008

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this on NPR a couple days ago. Don't get me started on my opinions about Lieberman swinging from party to party. I personally felt that once he lost the CT Democratic primary he shouldn't have been allowed to switch to Independent status and run again. But that he did, still touting the Democratic priorities. And now, here he is, siding with a Republican.

maybe everyone has been too swept up with the start of baseball?????? haha i dont have a clue, i dont think obama would want that to get out, which means the media wont cover it

I do not engage much in the political discussions around here (I don't think anybody here could accurately identify my political thoughts).

However, I find this current Presidential campaign fascinating. I know the Democrat powers that be want Hillary to throw in the towel; but, God help me, I want this thing to go to the convention undecided. Can you imagine the compelling political theater that would come out of that convention? Sweet fancy Moses...It would be compelling.

The Democrats have managed to take what in January looked like a slam dunk win in November to a real horse race.

I know I will take some hits here, but Obama reminds me a bit of the Robert Redford character in The Candidate.

If the campaigns manage to stay out of the gutter, this could be the most interesting and entertaining race in modern American Presidential history.

I heard this on NPR a couple days ago. Don't get me started on my opinions about Lieberman swinging from party to party. I personally felt that once he lost the CT Democratic primary he shouldn't have been allowed to switch to Independent status and run again. But that he did, still touting the Democratic priorities. And now, here he is, siding with a Republican.

No better or worse than what happened in elections past in Missouri, New Jersey and Illinois.

Lieberman is a worthless sack of dogshit.

Why?

I find myself agreeing with Lieberman, to an extent. I also don't have a problem with politicains jumping ship from one party to another if the party lines become too muddied or lose the perspective/ideals/etc. that drew the person to them in the first place.

Lieberman is a worthless sack of dogshit.

I am guessing that you didn't have that opinion in 2000.

Why?

I find myself agreeing with Lieberman, to an extent. I also don't have a problem with politicains jumping ship from one party to another if the party lines become too muddied or lose the perspective/ideals/etc. that drew the person to them in the first place.

But he jumped from Democrat to Independent only because he lost. That's not a valid reason in my book.

I did, actually. Worst decision Gore ever made.

:yes

I can't go along with much of Leeb's voting record. Pro retroactive immunity (for the telecoms), pro -Iraq war, and on and on.

I'm not necessarily a supporter of Lieberman, just curious what makes him a sack of shit compared to any other politician. Also, I still have no problem with him becoming an Independent even if it is partially due to losing an election. I'm sure he's aware of the support he lost in doing so as well as the support he gained in doing so.

I'm more offended by politicians towing the party line regardless of their personal beliefs than I am of politicians crossing party lines to justify their beliefs. I'm not saying this is evident in what Lieberman did, but it could be a contributing factor.

I'm not necessarily a supporter of Lieberman, just curious what makes him a sack of shit compared to any other politician.

He's a warmonger. He consistently lies about our middle east policy and perpetuates falsehoods to try to go to war with Iran.

I'm more offended by politicians towing the party line regardless of their personal belives than I am of politicians crossing party lines to justify their beliefs. I'm not saying this is evident in what Lieberman did, but it could be a contributing factor.

I have no problem with the guy changing parties. I don't want him as a Democrat, and he fits with the Republicans better anyway, on the important issues. I just wish he'd be honest about it rather than blaming the Democrats for being too partisan by not kowtowing to the Bush agenda enough (which is absurd on it's face considering how much they do let Bush get away with).

So you disagree with him on things, is what you are trying to say.

maybe what he's saying is not simply that he disagrees with him but that his moral compass is generally reprehensible, making him a "sack of shit". It would be one thing if it were his policy that he thought made him a sack of shit, but to me it seems like he thinks he's just a bad guy due to the fact he makes up generally faulty claims to send people to war.

maybe what he's saying is not simply that he disagrees with him but that his moral compass is generally reprehensible, making him a "sack of shit". It would be one thing if it were his policy that he thought made him a sack of shit, but to me it seems like he thinks he's just a bad guy due to the fact he makes up generally faulty claims to send people to war.

Ahhh...the coarsening of discourse compliments of the internet. :monkey

I have no problem with the guy changing parties. I don't want him as a Democrat, and he fits with the Republicans better anyway, on the important issues. I just wish he'd be honest about it rather than blaming the Democrats for being too partisan by not kowtowing to the Bush agenda enough (which is absurd on it's face considering how much they do let Bush get away with).

I don't think he's being dishonest. He's liberal on most issues, but I guess he considers national defense/foreign policy to be the overriding issue. And he's correct about Democrats moving away from the hawkish foreign policy of JFK (and to some degree Clinton) even if you disagree with him that it's a bad thing.

What's with all the hatin' on sacks of shit?

So you disagree with him on things, is what you are trying to say.

Sometimes issues are important enough to get angry about. Some political disagreements are just wanky pissing contests. Others are the difference between people living and dying.

Why would Obama care? Seriously.

cause of this "the John F. Kennedy legacy, is John S. McCain." Dems love obama, he is like their new kennedy, i think obama wouldnt want that title given to mccain, and lets be serious the real story is why obama can only manage a 37 in bowling haha

Sometimes issues are important enough to get angry about. Some political disagreements are just wanky pissing contests. Others are the difference between people living and dying.

But all that about lying and what not has more to do with you being in disagreement with him on this issues.

Sure, but why would Obama care that Lieberman is saying that? There are few people less influential with Democratic voters than Joe Lieberman. I don't see why he should be afraid of Lieberman's words "getting out". He's endorsed McCain already. Anything he says is going to be seen in that context, and this isn't a particularly damaging charge anyway.