The Black Keys - Attack & Release

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this new one.It seemed a bit strange at first, laid back as some have said, but is for sure a grower. I cannot get the "no love" for Magic Potion though, I really love that one.

Man this album is fucking good. I've spun it 4 times in the last 24 hours. "Things Ain't Like They Used to Be" is killer. "I Got Mine" rocks very hard. :rock "Strange Times" has very cruchy guitars as has a bit of a Radiohead feel to it. :dancing I LOVE the bass and banjo in "Lies." Great key playing on "All You Ever Wanted." The production on this album is perfect. A few Keys fans I've talked to were very concerned about them losing their "garage sound" with Danger Mouse on board. I think they maintain it well and take their sound to another level.

I'm a big fan, and I like every single album - including this one. Simple band, they do what they do well and that rhymes with swell - *thanks to all who contributed to my "college" fund, cough - cough, which allowed me to get my degree in Attack & release, we couldn't have done it without you :cheers

• 5 weeks later...

I picked it up yesterday and this is a very solid record. I was a little skeptical at first with Danger Mouse as the producer, but it sounds good. They sound more like a complete band, but I am sure they will rock this shit live! They have sold out most of their North American tour and the shows are going to be great!

Anyone else pick this up?

it's their best and most divedse record yet for me...

as for the new stuff live... i gotta be honest, other than "I Got Mine" i was disappointed with all of the new songs live compared to the record. they could stand to employ a 3rd touring member for organs/bass.

hopefully they figure stuff out by next Friday when i see them again though...

it's their best and most divedse record yet for me...

as for the new stuff live... i gotta be honest, other than "I Got Mine" i was disappointed with all of the new songs live compared to the record. they could stand to employ a 3rd touring member for organs/bass.

hopefully they figure stuff out by next Friday when i see them again though...

I only have the new one, Magic Potion and Rubber Factory. I like the direction on this one in a big way.

I haven't had a chance to see them live yet but they were on my 'short list'. Disappointing that they haven't been able to reproduce live. Let us know how Friday goes.

I only have the new one, Magic Potion and Rubber Factory. I like the direction on this one in a big way.

I haven't had a chance to see them live yet but they were on my 'short list'. Disappointing that they haven't been able to reproduce live. Let us know how Friday goes.

no no no!

i didn't mean that... they're incredible live... i just meant that the new stuff has a lot more layers (organs, bass, banjo, etc.) that they sort of compensate and re-arrange with just the two of them, and for me the songs suffer a bit live, but their old stuff is as amazing as ever live :)

no no no!

i didn't mean that... they're incredible live... i just meant that the new stuff has a lot more layers (organs, bass, banjo, etc.) that they sort of compensate and re-arrange with just the two of them, and for me the songs suffer a bit live, but their old stuff is as amazing as ever live :)

I'm liking all the layers, but I could do without the flute on "Same Old Thing".

More tour dates please!! Specifically Cincinnati or Louisville... :pray

I'm liking all the layers, but I could do without the flute on "Same Old Thing".

More tour dates please!! Specifically Cincinnati or Louisville... :pray

haha, yeah it threw me off a bit, but i think it's kinda cool, reminds me of Beck. i'm pretty sure it's just a sample, so they may use it live? guess we'll see.

haha, yeah it threw me off a bit, but i think it's kinda cool, reminds me of Beck. i'm pretty sure it's just a sample, so they may use it live? guess we'll see.

some hear Beck, others hear Jethro Tull. :hmm

Apologies for the misinterpration on the live show. I can see where they would stumble a bit with the newest album. Still very high on the list of bands to see live.

Alright, so I listened to this a few more times and I like it better every time I hear it. There is so much more subtle instrumentation and layering on this album than their previous ones. Really glad to see they have tried to branch out, at least some, and try some different things.

IMO this is the best album they've released yet. I love the variety on it, but I still find myself coming back to that "same old" Black Keys sound on the album; meaning, I can't get the riff to "Strange Times" out of my head for more than a few hours at a time. I'm still working in a small place where I can put on whatever music I choose and I find myself coming back to this one daily. :thumbup

Just got and listened to this. its a very good record, I like it.

This record is my first real exposure to The Black keys, and I have to say that they have huge, brass balls. To have a band and a sound that is so much like The White Stripes takes a lot of gall. And the last track "Things Ain't Like they Used to Be" is such a blatant, yet artful rip-off of The Beatles "Don't Let Me Down", I give them kudos.

it's too bad that 2 piece blues rock bands are going to be compared to the White Stripes until the end of time now it seems, especially since TBK have been around for over 7 years now.

i gotta say that after the last 3 White Striples records, i much prefer the Black Keys at this point. mostly because i prefer Dan's smooth yet gravelly rasp of a voice to Jack's by quite a bit, and live they do it for me a lot more (mostly because Patrick is an amazing drummer). i also prefer Dan's guitar tone live to Jack's high pitched squeal these days.

as for Things, i think the drums & bass line sound more like Pink Floyd's "Breathe" to me. amazing song tho.

it's too bad that 2 piece blues rock bands are going to be compared to the White Stripes until the end of time now it seems, especially since TBK have been around for over 7 years now.

Like I said, I am not all that familiar with The Black Keys, but they definitely share that common blues thread with the White Stripes. The 2 piece band can be limiting to a core sound. I'm not sure its coincidental either, The BLACK Keys and the WHITE Stripes. "Attack and Release" is a good record and I will definitely check out some of the other records mentioned here.