The Black Keys - Attack & Release

This one should only be awesome

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news...produced-album-

The Black Keys Reveal Danger Mouse-Produced Album

It seems like just yesterday when we were WTF-ing at rumors of a collaboration between the Black Keys, Danger Mouse, and the now late Ike Turner... until Keys drummer Patrick Carney confirmed it in an interview last year. Turner's passing seemingly put a damper on the project, but it turns out the songs the Keys were writing for him gave them the foundation for their own record, the follow-up to 2006's Magic Potion.

The result is the Danger Mouse-produced Attack & Release, the duo's fifth album-- but their first recorded in a proper studio. Alas, no Cee-Lo guest spot, but it does feature contributions from experimental guitarist Marc Ribot and multi-instrumentalist Ralph Carney (Patrick's uncle), both of whom have played in Tom Waits' band. There's also a pretty killer slow-burn duet between guitarist/singer Dan Auerbach and 18-year-old bluegrass/country singer Jessica Lea Mayfield on the closing track.

And while in theory, the thought of a Danger Mouse-produced Black Keys record brings to mind a bunch of electronic beats and sound pastiches slapped on stripped-down garage rawk, it's a credit to Danger Mouse as a producer that he manages mostly to stay out of the way of the jams, except for a few little flourishes here and there.

Nonesuch will release Release on April 1, no foolin', and the Black Keys will head out on tour in the spring in support of the album, starting with their appearance at South by Southwest.

Attack & Release:

01 All You Ever Wanted

02 I Got Mine

03 Strange Times

04 Psychotic Girl

05 Lies

06 Remember When (Side A)

07 Remember When (Side B)

08 Same Old Thing

09 So He Won't Break

10 Oceans & Streams

11 Things Ain't Like They Used to Be

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine lives in Akron, and caught the Black Keys' Christmas show. She said they played a bunch of the new stuff and it was awesome. Can't wait to hear it first-hand!

Dates so far:

The Black Keys - 2008 Tour Dates

Mar 27 - Rialto Theatre - | Tucson, Arizona

Mar 28 - Marquee Theatre- Tempe, Arizona

Mar 29 - House of Blues- San Diego, California

Mar 30 - The Glass House- Pomona, California

Apr 1 - Wiltern Theatre - Los Angeles, California

Apr 2 - Warfield Theatre- | San Francisco, California

Apr 4 - Crystal Ballroom- Portland, Oregon

Apr 5 - Showbox SoDo- Seattle, Washington

Apr 6 - Commodore Ballroom- Vancouver, British Columbia

Apr 9 - Ogden Theatre- Denver, Colorado

Apr 10 - The Slowdown - Omaha, Nebraska

Apr 11 - First Avenue- Minneapolis, Minnesota

Apr 12 - Riviera Theatre - Chicago, Illinois

Apr 13 - The Vogue- Indianapolis, Indiana

Apr 15 - Royal Oak Music Theatre- Royal Oak, Michigan

May 12 - 9:30 Club- Washington, DC, Washington DC

May 13 - 9:30 Club- Washington, DC, Washington DC

May 15 - Terminal 5- New York, New York

May 16 - The Fillmore at Theatre of Living Arts- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

May 17 - Orpheum Theatre- Boston, Massachusetts

• 1 month later...

i like the idea of these dudes, but every time i listen i get bored and just want to listen to green era fleetwood mac or zeppelin. a track is up on their myspace...just over produced. the real next step for these guys should have been getting a bass player and making a nice phat blues rock record and none of this studio shit. get steve albini for god's sake.

c

:unsure

there is bass guitar on much of this album...

and Steve Albini is SO SO overrated as a producer, sorry

if the track on their myspace you're referring to is Strange Times... it's the only song that sounds even remotely like that.

:unsure

there is bass guitar on much of this album...

and Steve Albini is SO SO overrated as a producer, sorry

if the track on their myspace you're referring to is Strange Times... it's the only song that sounds even remotely like that.

have you heard the entire album?

as far as albini goes, i am not saying he is the best producer etc. i just like that he tries to capture a band rather than take them apart and put them back together again in some pristine, unnatural way. the keys had a good thing going with just the striped down ensemble, but their albums just keep getting more and more 'produced'. probably because they are running out of ideas for the duo and the riffs are just getting old. it's really gonna be hard for them to ever top thickfreakness.

have you heard the entire album?

as far as albini goes, i am not saying he is the best producer etc. i just like that he tries to capture a band rather than take them apart and put them back together again in some pristine, unnatural way. the keys had a good thing going with just the striped down ensemble, but their albums just keep getting more and more 'produced'. probably because they are running out of ideas for the duo and the riffs are just getting old. it's really gonna be hard for them to ever top thickfreakness.

yes, i've had the album for a few weeks now, i think it's fantastic and might be their best yet (easily their most diverse record).

honestly, before Magic Potion, Thickfreakness was my least favorite. it's got some great rockers, but i don't find it's songwriting as strong as Rubber Factory. The Big Come Up will always have a special place, since it was what got me hooked on them, but it's prolly my 3rd fave now after Attack & Release and Rubber Factory.

this album, while it's more "hi-fi" than their first 2 records, is hardly "produced" or glossy. as for running out of ideas, that's why i think this one is so great, because they branched out a ton musically. it's not the same riff rock from the first 3 records.

i think this record might be their most succesful to date... just a hunch, if i'm wrong i'll admit it.

yes, i've had the album for a few weeks now, i think it's fantastic and might be their best yet (easily their most diverse record).

honestly, before Magic Potion, Thickfreakness was my least favorite. it's got some great rockers, but i don't find it's songwriting as strong as Rubber Factory. The Big Come Up will always have a special place, since it was what got me hooked on them, but it's prolly my 3rd fave now after Attack & Release and Rubber Factory.

this album, while it's more "hi-fi" than their first 2 records, is hardly "produced" or glossy. as for running out of ideas, that's why i think this one is so great, because they branched out a ton musically. it's not the same riff rock from the first 3 records.

i think this record might be their most succesful to date... just a hunch, if i'm wrong i'll admit it.

good points. so, all this talk of the keys got me to check out magic potion. downloaded a few tracks at amazon and am really digging it. so, maybe the new album will be good. i wont hear it until it comes out because, after several attempts, i finally quite 'downloading' early last month. i have been sober for over 6 weeks! now, if i could just stay away from the donuts. :stunned

Well, I just heard it and I'm still convinced Rubber Factory is their best work. This one is better than Magic Potion though.

well that's a good start... see what you think in a few weeks (i didn't think it was their best upon first few listens myself) ;)