The Black Keys - Attack & Release

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i gotta say that after the last 3 White Striples records, i much prefer the Black Keys at this point. mostly because i prefer Dan's smooth yet gravelly rasp of a voice to Jack's by quite a bit, and live they do it for me a lot more (mostly because Patrick is an amazing drummer). i also prefer Dan's guitar tone live to Jack's high pitched squeal these days.

as for Things, i think the drums & bass line sound more like Pink Floyd's "Breathe" to me. amazing song tho.

I agree. The Blacks Keys are more about no-nonsense, kick-ass rock, whereas The Stripes seem to be abandoning that approach. I also hear some Cortez The Killer-styled guitar playing on "Things."

Like I said, I am not all that familiar with The Black Keys, but they definitely share that common blues thread with the White Stripes. The 2 piece band can be limiting to a core sound. I'm not sure its coincidental either, The BLACK Keys and the WHITE Stripes. "Attack and Release" is a good record and I will definitely check out some of the other records mentioned here.

well there's certainly SOME similarities, yes, but if you listen to the Black Keys first album, The Big Come Up, it's WAY more traditionally based in the blues than any of the White Stripes records have been.

well there's certainly SOME similarities, yes, but if you listen to the Black Keys first album, The Big Come Up, it's WAY more traditionally based in the blues than any of the White Stripes records have been.

If you took the entire spectrum of music in the entire world and placed them all in a row, The Black Keys and The White Stripes would be placed right next to each other. In the grand scheme of things in the musical world, the SOME similarities are more common, and far outweigh the minor differences. Guitar and Drums. Blues-based rock. Its pretty similar compared to, say, Marvin Gaye or The Carpenters or Bach.

• 2 weeks later...

After twoo weeks of listening, I have to say that I really like this disc. No one song stands out for me, so I'll take that as all of them being fairly equal. But what really stands out in my mind is that they have a fuller more complete sound on this. I still love the other stuff, but this one is special.

if you missed the black keys on letterman, HERE is the link where you can watch it. It's well worth your time and I was really impressed. a lot of bands don't sound so great on TV, but I think this song really captures their music well.

I couldn't get the link video to work but found a copy on youtube. Despite it appearing as if someone just videotaped their tv, it is an awesome performance. The fact that this was on a tv show, is even more impressive. Letterman appeared to be blown away.

These guys are quickly becoming one of my favorite artists.

if you missed the black keys on letterman, HERE is the link where you can watch it. It's well worth your time and I was really impressed. a lot of bands don't sound so great on TV, but I think this song really captures their music well.

Damn!! I waited too long for tickets in Minneapolis and it was sold out before I could grab 'em. Now i am REALLY bummed. Blurg.

just wanted to add my praise for this album. So far I think it is my favorite of the year. everything on it sounds great and I love the new more "sonic" sound that they have on this record.

does anyone else think that the chorus to Oceans & Streams sounds like Cee-Lo singing? everytime I hear it I think it might be a gnarls track

if you missed the black keys on letterman, HERE is the link where you can watch it.

:rock :wub

does anyone have this new album on vinyl? I am holding off on buying it on CD because I am guessing that this will sounds amazing on vinyl.
Yup, got the vinyl which included the CD version.

You can have both!! :thumbup