DeNiro or Pacino.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heat was a good flick, but it suffered from DeNiro/Pacino hype. My favorite scene is the one with the blue-print Pacino overacting: They are interrogating Hank Azaria and out of nowhere Pacino yells "I bet she's got a greaaaaaaat ass". It seems so inappropriate and I crack up every time I see that scene.

I think Al Pacino has totally lost it. He doesn't even act anymore. he just shows up in his black suit and yells.

Long story short: DeNiro. Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter, Godfather II, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, jackie Brown, King of Comedy, the very underrated The Score, This Boys Life, Mad Dog and Glory, Cape Fear, Guilty by Suspicion, ANGEL HEART (Louis Cipher!), The Mission (underrated), BRAZIL, and he directed A Bronx Tale.

Pacino can't touch that. Plus, Deniro has yet to star opposite of keanu reeves.

There's a nice homage to Heat in Rushmore.

From Shitley's.com:

"In Michael Mann's 1995 classic, Heat, Val Kilmer's character Chris buys some dynamite and requests the order be charged to Ready Demolition, Tucson, Arizona. Three years later in Wes Anderson's Rushmore, Max also buys 15 sticks of dynamite for his production of Heaven and Hell. He also ask the order be made out to Ready Demolition, Tucson, Arizona."

Now, you can own a piece of Ready Demolition.

I saw DeNiro for for the first time in Taxi Driver. With other films like The Deer Hunter, Raging Bull, Jackie Brown and The King Of Comedy, his acting has more percision and is more believable than a Pacino performance, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like Al but he's not even better than Robert Duvall.

I'd just like to say that this is one of the few threads that, instead of spiraling into absurdity, was born out of absurdity and spiraled into a serious discussion.

Pacino takes himself too seriously, that's HIS problem. He'd never take a chance playing Fearless Leader in Rocky and Bullwinkle.

He'd never take a chance playing Fearless Leader in Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I think a better choice might be Awakenings. I don't see Pacino in such a vulnerable role.

Overall, I don't even think Pacino is a close 2nd to DeNiro. However, there is no accounting for personal preference.

Bobby D smokes Al Paco for breakfast. Pacino hasn't done anything remotely inspired since Scent Of A Woman. He seems almost one-dimensinal...at least by comparison. DeNiro is still evolving, and you get the feeling he has a few more great performances still left to unveil.

I would also add that while DeNiro and Pacino were ground breaking in a number of ways, some of the character sketch performances that made them have now been surpassed by others. Gandolfini, McShane, Kingsley, and others have all played scarier/more realistic gangsters..for example. And in some cases sustained those characters (to perfection) over several years of tv episodes.