A few high-quality rap artists

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We" need something new in a genre you pay no attention to?

Seriously, I don't understand why you and (especially) Mr. Heartbreak even open this thread, nevermind post in it.

It's like me going into a thread about a new Jay Farrar project and saying he's gotta do something different, when in reality I don't own a thing the man has produced.

"We" need something new in a genre you pay no attention to?

Seriously, I don't understand why you and (especially) Mr. Heartbreak even open this thread, nevermind post in it.

It's like me going into a thread about a new Jay Farrar project and saying he's gotta do something different, when in reality I don't own a thing the man has produced.

I don't know either....it is just a way to get into trouble.

I do own a few rap records and I do occasionally listen to it and frankly if you interact with any media you hear rap quite alot. (Unlike hearing Jay Farrar which you don't hear and he did do something sort of new this year...) Rap is the predominant popular music or stand in for popular music. You can't turn on the radio and not hear it and it gets played on TV shows, commercials, rap artists are fashion and culture beacons, etc. Yea, it is totally stupid of me to advance an opinion (or actually advance the opinions of others I read) since I am not all that well versed in it.

So I am outta here.

LouieB

I have the first album from those L.I. girls, Northern State. Not bad.

So I can understand that I am not supposed to be here because I either don't know anything about rap or like rap, but simply watching TV for a few minutes last night I got to see Rhianna peform (admittedly she isn't totally rap but close enough) and get to admire her fractured fashion sense and also got to see Jay-Z perform as well and view his somewhat dreadful brand new for 2010 video. (Jay Farrar was nowhere in sight so I can't tell what he is up to in 2010.) Somehow I don't think I am totally unqualified to advance a couple wan opinions about the relative merits of the current crop of rap/pop stars.

LouieB

I saw the new Jay Z video last night as well. I just don't get why he is considered one of the best. I get more entertainment from Ghostface Killah or even Lil Wayne. Then again I'm not going to pretend I have immersed myself in rap music over the years.

I only posted in here because I've got Louie's back on this one. Not here to pick a fight, and hope everybody really, really enjoys the rap they enjoy. Happy New Year. Peace.

jay z can flow with the best of em surprisingly.lil wayne is awesome.hes the james joyce of hip hop.people that cant enjoy his music take themselves way to seriously.as far as girls in the hip hop world.dessa is by far the only one whose worthy of talking about.i guess jean grae and a couple others too, but dessa is tops in my books.my all time fave- cant figure out how to link the youtube video, but artifacts-wrong side of the tracks

I saw the new Jay Z video last night as well. I just don't get why he is considered one of the best. I get more entertainment from Ghostface Killah or even Lil Wayne. Then again I'm not going to pretend I have immersed myself in rap music over the years.

Jay Z has been phoning it in since the Black Album.

Jay Z has been phoning it in since the Black Album.

I don't know about phoning it in so much as enjoying himself. Although, who knows if there's a difference. All I know is he's fun, now that he seems more aware of how unparalleled old school style is.