A few high-quality rap artists

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eminem......without a doubt....

LouieB

That belongs in the blasphemy thread.

There was a time when Eminem could've been an all time great rap artist, but he got legitimately terrible after his 2nd album. But his first two are brilliant, one of the smartest, funniest rappers of all time. He just got too obsessed with a revolution that never came (by this I mean he thought there would be millions of Eminem clones flooding the market, and he was preparing himself to fight that from his 3rd album on, and it never came. He fizzled out after this.)

There was a time when Eminem could've been an all time great rap artist, but he got legitimately terrible after his 2nd album. But his first two are brilliant, one of the smartest, funniest rappers of all time. He just got too obsessed with a revolution that never came (by this I mean he thought there would be millions of Eminem clones flooding the market, and he was preparing himself to fight that from his 3rd album on, and it never came. He fizzled out after this.)

His albums also became terribly formulaic. There was always the party track, the i hate kim and my mom track, the i love my daughter track, & the angry track. He was a good lyricist but horrible at coming up with a good variety of topics to write about.

I played Public Enemy for my 8-year-old last night...

"Don't Believe the Hype"

He understood much more than an 8-year-old should. About the anger and all that.

• 1 year later...

Sadly I have no idea what makes one rap artist better than another.

My sentiments exactly....

Actually I can, but how many really good rap artists are there at this point (not talking about Public Enemy.) I know we have been done this road a thousand times. The current crop seems fairly pedestrian. (Kanye West is practically old school at this point.....and getting more pointless by the day..}

LouieB

My sentiments exactly....

Actually I can, but how many really good rap artists are there at this point (not talking about Public Enemy.) I know we have been done this road a thousand times. The current crop seems fairly pedestrian. (Kanye West is practically old school at this point.....and getting more pointless by the day..}

LouieB

In the last year or two Brother Ali, Aesop Rock, Sage Francis and Atmosphere have all released good records.

Never head of them, but bonus points for a cool name.

Funny story, I saw them at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT and Evidence, one of the rappers, was outside handing out... Dilated Peoples eyedrops. I still have them to this day. It's one of the coolest promo items I have, just a bottle of eye drops with the dilated peoples logo on them.