A few high-quality rap artists

I don't listen to a lot of underground hip hop only because I'm still trying to make my way through the older stuff, but my most listened to hip hop artists are:

Lupe Fiasco

Kanye West

Common

Nas

Talib Kwali

Mos Def

Jay Z (Say what you want about him, he's fun to listen to)

Eminem('s first two records)

Beastie Boys

The Roots

Tribe Called Quest

There's more, but that's off the top of my head.

The Roots live are just about the best band I've ever seen. Insane. If you want to say hip hop has no musical merit, go watch these guys and then stop talking.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big L is easiest the most talented rapper of all time and obviously Eminems idol.

Currently Lil Wayne is really making some intresting stuff the guy might be a genius, I highly recomend the drought 3

Lil Wayne is one of the most fascinating characters in hip hop, to say the least. And probably the most prolific. It's not all good, but he's made some really good stuff, and he's always interesting.

Louis Jordan

Yea lil Wayne has really got me excited over the last few years. The Carter 3 just got pushed back again to june 10, apparently none of the leaked tracks will be on it

leading me to think this might be the first Hip Hop classic since Jay-Z''s Blueprint (well besideds every Kanye album)

I still dont understand the lack of attention to Pete Rock and CL Smooth. Those guys were among the best of the best (and intelligent to boot, but they always somehow flew under the radar.

IMO, this is one of all time great hip-songs

And the rest of their stuff is incredibly solid too.

they come up every time a rap thread breaks out...justifiably so, as they are phenomenal, especially pete rock.

Arrested Development hasn't been mentioned (I do not believe....)

Thats because as a rap group, they kinda sucked. They may have been appealing to open-minded honkys trying to get into rap through MTV in the early '90's, but it wasn't all that great.

Where's the love for NWA, one of the most ground-breaking rap acts? They were ahead of the game in subject matter, lyrics and beats. Not to mention "The Chronic" by Dre.

Busdriver

...Beck?

One more attempt to include Beck in this thread and I'm shutting it.

NWA is great. Sadly, I do not know enough about Pete Rock and CL Smooth to judge. Arrested Development is kind of like that G. Love and Special Sauce crap - the Coors Light of hip hop.

...how come nobody's mentioned the best rapper of all time yet?

Rakim has been name-checked.

nope. he's good. but not the best.

Well, then, whatever comes next, I am not prepared to accept.