A few high-quality rap artists

The Roots, The Roots, The Roots.

If you don't enjoy them on record, see them live. Easily the best hip hop band around, and one of the best live bands around, period.

This.

And, I am really digging the Diplo remix of Gucci Mane's "Danger's Not A Stranger."

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good call on big l.was always amazed.but yeah sage francis,atmosphere,pos,mac lethal are all dope if you like to think about what your listening to.never understood why i liked shit,like too short, all he does is try to convince you how many bitches hes got, and how dangerous he is.pete rock and cl smooth "t.r.o.y." definately got me into hip hop.tribes midnight marauders,wu tangs 36 chambers,gza liquid swords.even will smiths summertime.i could go on forever.

My sentiments exactly....

Actually I can, but how many really good rap artists are there at this point (not talking about Public Enemy.) I know we have been done this road a thousand times. The current crop seems fairly pedestrian. (Kanye West is practically old school at this point.....and getting more pointless by the day..}

LouieB

What is the "current crop"? Why is Kanye West "more pointless by the day"? How are you so in tune with today's hip hop scene?

There has probably never been a time in history in any genre when an older person hasn't said "today's crop seems fairly pedestrian."

What is the "current crop"? Why is Kanye West "more pointless by the day"? How are you so in tune with today's hip hop scene?

There has probably never been a time in history in any genre when an older person hasn't said "today's crop seems fairly pedestrian."

I definitely notice myself reprimanding these kids today with their taste in music.

Lupe Fiasco's pretty good for a noob. Common's still droppin good stuff. Mos Def's last album was re-freakin-freshing after his last pile of hot garbage.

The Roots, The Roots, The Roots.

If you don't enjoy them on record, see them live. Easily the best hip hop band around, and one of the best live bands around, period.

I was fortunate to see them open for Wilco at Red Rocks and they tore it up. They were really good. Great live sound.

Yea, you are right. I said that stuff just to piss you off. Kanye West is a fucking genius, we all know that.

I am totally not in touch with any hip hop nor do I claim to be. I do occasionally listen to it on the radio.

LouieB

Yea, you are right. I said that stuff just to piss you off. Kanye West is a fucking genius, we all know that.

I am totally not in touch with any hip hop nor do I claim to be. I do occasionally listen to it on the radio.

LouieB

I was asking serious questions because I really didn't know what you meant and it sounded like you were just saying things to say things. There is lot's of great hip hop out there still being made. Stop being so defensive.

Though yeah, I would personally consider Kanye a genius. That's just me, though.

Common - was mentioned before by a couple

Handsome Boy Modeling School - Also mentioned in this thread.

Dr. Dre - Best Rap Producer Ever. If not one of the best overall

Snoop Dogg - His first two albums are straight up jazz

My Favorite: Cee Lo Green - His first solo album is excellent and one of my favorite all time records.

Mickey Avalon: This kid cracks me up, he has a good album and his swagger is as smooth as Mic Jagger.

It is mostly fun with this cat, but he has a serious side to him also.

Check out his songs/video:

My Dick

Jane Fonda

F***in Em All

Yanking people's chains (or should I say bling) is so fun. I know not all rap artists are conceited, over important, misogenist, non-musicians, (etc. etc.), but enough are that it is an easy target. Some rap is genuinely fun to listen to and certainly to dance to (if you dance).

Oh and as for not liking new music, I guess I need to throw away all those CDs and LPs that were produced in 2009 since I am not supposed to like them. Admittedly, none contain any rap music.

LouieB

:lol

Is this the post I didn't read?

Again, I was mostly just screwing around, but I am not the only one who finds rap less than inspiring.

Needless to say it is true when someone older has not dissed new music, it does happen all the time. Also needless to day there is great music being made in all genres. I buy new music all the time, just no rap. I own some rap, but not current, nor do I listen to it with any frequency. I do tune in the occasional rap show on the college stations however. So no, I am not the least bit in touch with it. I just don't even have enough years left to listen to all the music I am actually interested in. (Oh yea, I really like Gnarls Barkley, but that is not exactly rap. And I own a copy of the Grey album too.... :lol )

Kanye is certainly a talented guy, but his also a pompous asshole, something he doesn't HAVE to be.

LouieB

you guys should all get joey beats-indie rock blues.its by far my favorite hip hop type album.download the belle and sebastian track or the ohia track and youll instantly like it and get the vibe of the album.its the hip hop yhf.

M. Ward - 'Sad, Sad Song'

The Black Heart Procession - 'When We Reach The Hill'

90 Day Men - 'Exploration vs. Solution, Baby'/Cursive - 'Dedication'

Belle, Sebastion, & Signify - 'Space Boy Dream'

Ugly Cassanova - 'Ice On The Sheets'

Pinback - 'XIY'/Kid Dakota - 'Winter Kill'

Neutral Milk Hotel - 'Naomi'

June Of 44 - 'Doomsday'

The Minutemen - 'It's Expected I'm Gone'/Neil Hamburger - 'Open Ended Interview'

Andrew Bird - 'I'

Deer Hoof - 'Panda, Panda, Panda'

Make Up - 'Save Yourself'/Scout Niblet - 'It's All For You'

Ohia - 'Coxcomb Red'

Again, I was mostly just screwing around, but I am not the only one who finds rap less than inspiring. Needless to say it is true when someone older has not dissed new music, it does happen all the time. Also needless to day there is great music being made in all genres. I buy new music all the time, just no rap.

Seconded.

Although I'm "only" 45, I've never found the genre inspiring. In fact, I wasn't going to post anything in this thread, for that reason. But it should be acknowledged that it's not just us older dudes like Louie & me who don't have much use for the genre. I disliked it from the beginning, and I might add that the same goes for my wife (who is, incidentally, much younger than Louie or me). It's really not an age thing, it's a musical preference thing.

you guys should all get joey beats-indie rock blues.its by far my favorite hip hop type album.download the belle and sebastian track or the ohia track and youll instantly like it and get the vibe of the album.its the hip hop yhf.

June Of 44 - 'Doomsday'

The Minutemen - 'It's Expected I'm Gone'/Neil Hamburger - 'Open Ended Interview'

Andrew Bird - 'I'

Ohia - 'Coxcomb Red'

I am not sure what this post is about, but it isn't about rap since I listen to several of these artists and none of them rap. Andrew Bird....dude the guy plays violin and actually knows how to sing....

Seconded.

Although I'm "only" 45, I've never found the genre inspiring. In fact, I wasn't going to post anything in this thread, for that reason. But it should be acknowledged that it's not just us older dudes like Louie & me who don't have much use for the genre. I disliked it from the beginning, and I might add that the same goes for my wife (who is, incidentally, much younger than Louie or me). It's really not an age thing, it's a musical preference thing.

Thanks for having my back on this. Since rap has been around for what is now going on many many years (30 or so) and I heard rappers delight when it was new as well as the other old school groups, I too have heard it plenty over the years and some of it is okay. But the some of the gansta stuff which predominated the genre during the 90s and 00s, mostly sucked. Yea, sure someone is going to jump in here and start talking about Gil Scott-Herron and The Last Poets, etc, groups I also listened to when they were new, and it ain't the same thing. I like that kind of stuff and I like political music as well, but alot off the rest of this stuff is useless, just don't have the time.

(now I am on to respond to the thread about how Obama hasn't done a thing...)

LouieB

View Postdthedust, on 25 December 2009 - 02:29 PM, said:

"joey beats-indie rock blues"

June Of 44 - 'Doomsday'

Andrew Bird - 'I'

Ohia - 'Coxcomb Red'

I am not sure what this post is about, but it isn't about rap since I listen to several of these artists and none of them rap. Andrew Bird....dude the guy plays violin and actually knows how to sing....

--these are remixed versions of the songs.i like alot of the remixes better then the regular songs.joey beats makes sage franciss beats and he worked with the artists a little bit and made a somewhat hip hoppish album of it.its my favorite hip hop album.i know half the people mentioned in this thread and am involved with the hip hop scene.i dont like hip hop much, but gotta pay bills.i think this would be a wilco fans favorite hip hop album,or just people with good taste.check it out,like i said, its the hip hop yhf.

Kanye is certainly a talented guy, but his also a pompous asshole, something he doesn't HAVE to be.

LouieB

There's a particular video on Youtube where Kanye challenges Mos Def (or is egged on, I suppose) to a rap battle and gets his bum handed to him on a platter. It's amusing, because you can tell Kanye is struggling while the words flow like fine wine off of the tongue of Mos Def.

So Mos Def is my vote. Alongside the Beastie Boys.

Have the Jungle Brothers been mentioned?

I don't think so, but they are not to be overlooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIl5rVnfDn8