Springsteen at Count Basie Theater

This would have been some show to be at, it sounds like...Damn. :blink Those who were lucky enough to see Wilco at the Count Basie in Red Bank last summer know that place isn't that big.

I know there's some Bruce fans here... :cheers

From the recap on Backstreets:

May 7 / The Count Basie Theatre / Red Bank, NJ

Notes: Ah, the stuff that dreams are made of... or at least the stuff that fan rap sessions are made of: "They should do the Darkness album start to finish!" Well, they just did. And it wasn't just a Darkness 30th anniversary celebration -- they tackled the full Born to Run album in order, too, for what Bruce described at the outset as "something we've never done before and you're not gonna see anywhere else." An E Street Band theater show -- finding them packed tighter than ever on a small stage like this, with Nils, Patti, and Soozie all added to the line-up since the theater days -- would have been exceptional enough, but the four Perfect Album Sides of the setlist put this one over the top.

Setlist:

Badlands

Adam Raised a Cain

Something in the Night

Candy's Room

Racing in the Street

The Promised Land

Factory

Streets of Fire

Prove It All Night

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Thunder Road

Tenth Avenue Freeze-out (w/ horns)

Night

Backstreets

Born to Run

She's the One

Meeting Across the River (w/ Mark Pender)

Jungleland

So Young and in Love (w/ horns)

Kitty's Back (w/ horns)

Rosalita (w/ horns)

Raise Your Hand (w/ horns)

WOW. Don't think id pay to see Bruce again unless it was something like this, lucky group of people.

I wish it wasn't $1,000 a ticket! But it was a benefit. I have seen Springsteen a handful of times and heard all but 3 of these songs from the whole show live before but never in a venue as such! Hope a tape surfaces!

>holy crap!

Funny,. the couple a people I've emailed the review to have had the exact same reaction.

Yeah, I mean looking over the setlist, I realize that I've seen most of those songs played live. But kind of in the same spirit as the Wilco Residency, to have them tackle those two albums as complete albums, played live in their intended sequence, would really have been something.

Now if they ever do The River in complete form, fuhgeddaboutit. That would be tremendous.

Seems like Danny Federici's death has really spurred something in Bruce these last couple of weeks. I mean, I don't know that they weren't already planning on doing Darkness and BtR for this benefit before Danny passed, but I've definitely heard some phenomenal reviews of Bruce's shows in recent weeks.

Wonder if anyone from VC was actually there last night...Please chime in! :thumbup

It's up at dime a dozen.

Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band

2008-05-07

Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank NJ

Description:

This historic Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band show features the Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born To Run albums in their entirety, plus encores. The band has never performed these albums in their entirety before.

The Count Basie Theatre holds about 1500 and this was the band's first performance in a venue this small in 30 years.

The show was a benefit to raise money to renovate the historic Count Basie Theatre; it raised $3 million, with auction ticket prices ranging from $1,000 to $15,000 per seat.

The recording sounds quite good for an audience recording from the back of the orchestra. There is some crowd clapping, yelling, singing along, and a little talking, but it's not too obnoxious. The band drowns out the audience during most songs. I'd rate it 8.5/10.

This is my first torrent and I hope you enjoy it!

Includes:

Disc 1 - Darkness on the Edge of Town

01 Intro - Rusty Young, Patti Scialfa, Brian Williams, Bruce Springsteen

02 Badlands

03 Adam Raised a Cain

04 Something in the Night

05 Candy's Room

06 Racing in the Street

07 The Promised Land

08 Factory

09 Streets of Fire

10 Prove It All Night

11 Darkness on the Edge of Town

Disc 2 - Born to Run

01 Bruce Intro

02 Thunder Road

03 Tenth Avenue Freeze-out

04 Night

05 Backstreets

06 Born to Run

07 She's the One

08 Meeting Across the River (w/ Mark Pender)

09 Jungleland

Disc 3- Encores

01 So Young and in Love

02 Kitty's Back

03 Rosalita

04 Raise Your Hand

05 Outro

Plus a couple of concert photos in .jpg format.

Lineage:

Orchestra 20' to the side of the soundboard

Zoom H2 Recorder (90 degree stereo 44.1kHz / 16 bit Stereo WAV) > AUdacity (Amplify 3 db) > CDWave (track split) > dbPoweramp (WAV > flac) > FastSum (md5)

No EQ or other file modification.

I have never actually messed with any Bruce shows - I am surprised he actually allows taping. Which reminds me, I am looking for this: A Pocketful Of Demo's (The Complete Demo Recordings 1972-1973).

I never did get around to posting a review of the show from Charlottesville last week, but we got a healthy dose of BTR and Darkness there as well, including Meeting Across the River, Jungleland, BTR and 10th Ave in the encore. They opened with a great late 70's outtake, "Loose Ends." They also played a full band version of "For You" from Greetings, but oddly enough nothing from TWTITES, The River, or anything between 1978 and 2002 save for "No Surrender." The pacing was off, and later I found out they cut several songs from the set. The crowd was sort of lame, and maybe it weighed on the band.

As for the Count Basie show, Wow! Full album run throughs are so great. If he did a whole tour where he rotated two different albums per show, I'd be in serious debt. I just wish the Wild the Innocent ... would have been done in its entirety. There are so many epic songs on that album, that get very little love.

I just got an email from BruceSpringsteen.net today that was an update type thing, that stopped just short of begging people to buy tickets for the Giants Stadium shows later this summer. That certainly wasn't the case at the end of the "Risng" tour when 1o nights there nearly completely sold out. Funny thing is "Magic" is a superior album. I think it has to do with all of the casual jingoistic fans that latched on to the "Rising" because of the heavy 911 content.

I never did get around to posting a review of the show from Charlottesville last week, but we got a healthy dose of BTR and Darkness there as well, including Meeting Across the River, Jungleland, BTR and 10th Ave in the encore. They opened with a great late 70's outtake, "Loose Ends." They also played a full band version of "For You" from Greetings, but oddly enough nothing from TWTITES, The River, or anything between 1978 and 2002 save for "No Surrender." The pacing was off, and later I found out they cut several songs from the set. The crowd was sort of lame, and maybe it weighed on the band.

As for the Count Basie show, Wow! Full album run throughs are so great. If he did a whole tour where he rotated two different albums per show, I'd be in serious debt. I just wish the Wild the Innocent ... would have been done in its entirety. There are so many epic songs on that album, that get very little love.

I just got an email from BruceSpringsteen.net today that was an update type thing, that stopped just short of begging people to buy tickets for the Giants Stadium shows later this summer. That certainly wasn't the case at the end of the "Risng" tour when 1o nights there nearly completely sold out. Funny thing is "Magic" is a superior album. I think it has to do with all of the casual jingoistic fans that latched on to the "Rising" because of the heavy 911 content.

Loose Ends - that song is on Tracks. I wonder if he ever does The Iceman?

I have never actually messed with any Bruce shows - I am surprised he actually allows taping. Which reminds me, I am looking for this: A Pocketful Of Demo's (The Complete Demo Recordings 1972-1973).

He doesn't 'allow'. People record the old fashioned way...sneak in the mics and recorders.

He doesn't 'allow'. People record the old fashioned way...sneak in the mics and recorders.

I thought so - as he took a bunch of bootleggers to court back in the 80s (I think it was) as well as, went to the UK to fight the release of that Before The Flame cd. Of course, live show trading is not bootlegging - but I suppose he does not look at it that way.

Come to think of it - his shows would not be up at dime a dozen if there was a no taping allowed policy - so something must have changed.

Ok - I dug a bit - and did not see any Bruce live show taping policy out there. His shows are allowed on Dime a dozen and Tape City - so he must know about it.

Edited by Analogman
I was just listening to those albums yesterday.
I was just listening to Count Basie the other day. Mosaic put out a nice set of Lester Young material. Oh yea, this thread is about Bruce, he's cool too and from NJ as well.... :thumbup

LouieB

I was just listening to Count Basie the other day. Mosaic put out a nice set of Lester Young material. Oh yea, this thread is about Bruce, he's cool too and from NJ as well.... :thumbup

LouieB

I don't recall ever listening to such music but - I may have seen him in a movie and/or read about him.

I don't recall ever listening to such music but - I may have seen him in a movie and/or read about him.
The collaborations of Lester Young and Count Basie are some of the greatest stuff ever. Both are dead for a long time so no one would mind some free downloading.

But seriously, even if you don't like jazz, much of the feeling of the head arrangements of the early Count Basie Orchestras have the energy of early rock and roll of 15 years later. It took Basie being transplanted to KC to really get him rockin though.

LouieB

Loose Ends - that song is on Tracks. I wonder if he ever does The Iceman?

After a bit of sleuthing, this appears to be the only known time that "The Iceman" was ever played, and at a soundcheck at that. He dug really, really deep into the vaults for the D&D tour. I'm pretty sure he did "Zero & Blind Terry" at least once on that tour. The good news about the soundcheck for the below, it that it was taped, and several sources are listed at the end. That's a song I haven't thought about in a long while. I guess I'll give it a listen sometime soon. Good luck, Greg

17-May-2005 Philadelphia,PA Tower Theatre,USA

Soundcheck included: Iceman (solo piano) / Open all night (electric guitar) / Ramrod

01 My beautiful reward (on pump organ)

02 Reason to believe

03 Devils and dust

04 Youngstown

05 Empty sky

06 Black cowboys

07 Iceman (solo piano)

08 Incident on 57th street (solo piano)

09 Part man part monkey (electric guitar)

10 Maria's bed

11 Silver Palomino

12 Reno

13 Wreck on the Highway (electric piano)

14 Real World (solo piano)

15 The rising

16 Further on (up the road)

17 Jesus was an only son (solo piano)

18 Leah

19 The Hitter

20 Matamoros banks

21 Ramrod

22 Land of hope and dreams

23 The promised land

24 Dream baby dream (on pump organ)

Songs from this show can be found on:

DREAM MILANO DREAM (Godfatherecords)

STOCKHOLM DUST NIGHT (Crystal Cat)

PHILADELPHIA,PA,TOWER THEATRE, 17-MAY-05

Thanks - I dig that song.

I am on a hunt for the Complete Demos collection I mentioned earlier. I will see if I can find that show also.

If you do get your hands on said collection and would consider an old school burn for a Springsteen fanatic who is technologically inept it would be much appreciated.

If you do get your hands on said collection and would consider an old school burn for a Springsteen fanatic who is technologically inept it would be much appreciated.

Sure.