Favorite album(s) by....

Indeed. It's been a while since I watched it; I thought there was no crowd shots at all on the video, but the youtube clip does show a long shot.

I think it was called "Hard To Handle". Really good concert flick, imo. I saw that tour when it hit the States.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is most assuredly blasphemy here, but I wouldn't rank Blood on the Tracks in my top 10. The rest shift in precedence. BOTT has it's moments, but I think it gets a bit more credit than deserved. It's certainly one of his most accessible albums.

I don't know why the word "Accessible" has to be the kiss of death for some fans (not just for Dylan). It's accesible because it's good to most people. It does not have to be "Challenging" to be good. I'm not busting your chops, I can see how for true fans, going deeper in the mix rewards repeated listening. The accessible stuff gets overplayed and starts to get tiresome so I see that side. But damn, Blood on the Tracks is just great.

I don't know why the word "Accessible" has to be the kiss of death for some fans (not just for Dylan). It's accesible because it's good to most people. It does not have to be "Challenging" to be good. I'm not busting your chops, I can see how for true fans, going deeper in the mix rewards repeated listening. The accessible stuff gets overplayed and starts to get tiresome so I see that side. But damn, Blood on the Tracks is just great.

I mean accessible is that people claim to be Dylan fans and that is the entire depth of his catalogue. And I don't mean that to sound elitist because I'm anything but.

I took Blood on the Tracks out and played it for about a week. And to make sure it wasn't just my mood at the time, or setting, I listened to it under a variety of conditions.

I listened to it in a house, I listened to it with a mouse, I listened to it in a boat with a goat, in a box with a fox,

I listened to it here and there, I listened to it everywhere.

I did not hate Blood on the Tracks.

But it's not my fave so I can't take it back.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
I mean accessible is that people claim to be Dylan fans and that is the entire depth of his catalogue.

i don't understand that line.

EDIT - i mean that i literally don't understand it. can you please explain?

i don't understand that line.

They don't dig any deeper into his music, his catalog. They'll sing loudly to the chorus of Like a Rolling Stone. You can pick those people out at a Dylan concert.

Yes, there is great music that is not intricate, highly worked, or mused over; nor do they require more than mere listening enjoyment. But in the scheme of Dylan's catalog I don't rank it very highly.

i've never liked Ballad of a thin man, but apart from that - PERFECT!. he should have shoved Can you please crawl out your window in the place of Ballad and it will be perfect, IMO

I love Ballad of a Thin Man.

What do you not like about it?

I've never heard Crawl though.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
They don't dig any deeper into his music, his catalog.

i see. i think you just a had typo in the original comment.

however, i have not heard every dylan record, as he has a shit ton and i don't have the money to buy them all. i still consider myself to be a big dylan fan. is fanship only to be based on the depth of his catalog that we've heard or had access to?

I think it was called "Hard To Handle". Really good concert flick, imo. I saw that tour when it hit the States.

thats the one. it was filmed in sydney over the 24th and 25th of feb that year. my favourite bit of it is as he's introducing In the garden and mentions Springsteen, he belches into the microphone :lol

I love Ballad of a Thin Man.

What do you not like about it?

I've never heard Crawl though.

i dont know.. it just never grabbed me compared to the rest of the tunes on the album. it might be the weird melody. Crawl can also be found on Masterpieces (japan only release). there are a few outtakes too

thats the one. it was filmed in sydney over the 24th and 25th of feb that year. my favourite bit of it is as he's introducing In the garden and mentions Springsteen, he belches into the microphone :lol

"I'm gonna do a song about my hero....you might have your own hero. Maybe, I don't know, maybe Mel Gibson...or Micheal Jackson or Bruce Springsteen. But I don't care nothin' about none of those people". :lol

yep, that's my favorite bit too Froggie. :thumbup

however, i have not heard every dylan record, as he has a shit ton and i don't have the money to buy them all. i still consider myself to be a big dylan fan. is fanship only to be based on the depth of his catalog that we've heard or had access to?

Not at all. There are all sorts of constraints that keep you from exploring an artist -- although fewer today than there were 10 years ago or more. If you're interested in listening and expanding, that's my only point. Rather than because you know the words to "Tangled Up in Blue," saying' "I'm done." By all means, dig into the catalog when you have a chance and weigh BOTT against other albums.

"I'm gonna do a song about my hero....you might have your own hero. Maybe, I don't know, maybe Mel Gibson...or Micheal Jackson or Bruce Springsteen. But I don't care nothin' about none of those people". :lol

yep, that's my favorite bit too Froggie. :thumbup

Doesn't he give a snicker after he says Mel Gibson? Like "c'mon"

I mean accessible is that people claim to be Dylan fans and that is the entire depth of his catalogue. And I don't mean that to sound elitist because I'm anything but.

I took Blood on the Tracks out and played it for about a week. And to make sure it wasn't just my mood at the time, or setting, I listened to it under a variety of conditions.

I listened to it in a house, I listened to it with a mouse, I listened to it in a boat with a goat, in a box with a fox,

I listened to it here and there, I listened to it everywhere.

I did not hate Blood on the Tracks.

But it's not my fave so I can't take it back.

Your explanation makes sense. It sounded like you were rejecting it because it was accessible which is clearly not the case. It's very common for zealot music fans (I mean that in a good way) to like the non obvious albums. Like Pearl Jam fans liking No Code the best or how many Zep fans like "Presence" the best. It's because they have put the time in and found the nuance.

That's why I like to hear people's opinions on these things, lets me know what I should listen to that I may not have considered.

you can actually listen to nearly every track from every album online. on bobdylan.com

go here: http://www.bobdylan.com/#/albums

choose an album and then choose a track or two to listen to

Guest Gym Teacher Man
Not at all. There are all sorts of constraints that keep you from exploring an artist -- although fewer today than there were 10 years ago or more. If you're interested in listening and expanding, that's my only point. Rather than because you know the words to "Tangled Up in Blue," saying' "I'm done." By all means, dig into the catalog when you have a chance and weigh BOTT against other albums.

i totally hear ya. and agree. glad to hear that you can listen to any of his stuff on his site. i'll be rummaging through the late 70s/early 80s stuff soon...

I heard "The Man In Me" on the radio on the way to work today. Great song. If you want to dig deeper than BOTT, try New Morning (1970), Planet Waves (1974), and Desire (1976) to see what else he was doing in the '70s.

>i've never liked Ballad of a thin man

Try the version on Live 1966: http://www.bobdylan.com/#/music/live-1966

>It's very common for zealot music fans (I mean that in a good way) to like the non obvious albums. Like Pearl Jam fans liking No Code the best or how many Zep fans like "Presence" the best. It's because they have put the time in and found the nuance.

That's why I like to hear people's opinions on these things, lets me know what I should listen to that I may not have considered

Well said.

Guest Gym Teacher Man

i don't much care for Desire. i am alone there? New Morning and Planet Waves rank among his best in my opinion (see my list posted earlier). i think both out shine BOTT.

Time Out of Mind is quickly rising high on my list these days. I always had a little trouble getting into it just purely because of his age, or I should say, the age of his voice, but now that i've grown to love his singing as an old man, this album is getting a ton of play. I love Trying To Get To Heaven. Among my favorite of his tunes. period.

>Time Out of Mind is quickly rising high on my list these days. I always had a little trouble getting into it just purely because of his age, or I should say, the age of his voice, but now that i've grown to love his singing as an old man, this album is getting a ton of play. I love Trying To Get To Heaven. Among my favorite of his tunes. period.

Yes, Trying to Get to Heaven is incredible and ranks among anything he has written. I'd add Standing in the Doorway, as well. I've seen some incredible live versions of it.

i don't much care for Desire. i am alone there? New Morning and Planet Waves rank among his best in my opinion (see my list posted earlier). i think both out shine BOTT.

Time Out of Mind is quickly rising high on my list these days. I always had a little trouble getting into it just purely because of his age, or I should say, the age of his voice, but now that i've grown to love his singing as an old man, this album is getting a ton of play. I love Trying To Get To Heaven. Among my favorite of his tunes. period.

I like Desire. Romance in Durango, Sara, Isis, all great songs.