Wilco-The Wal-Mart band

Thanks Markosis, I was waiting for someone else to chime in. After that "You're ridiculous if you think Wilco is half as diverse as Beck or Ben Harper" remark I was wondering what alternate universe I had landed in. No offense to Mr. Hansen, I can't wait for his new album this summer.

As for flamenco, listen to More Like the Moon, it has a beautiful semi flamenco/Willie Nelson guitar part all the way through the song.

The one where ad hominem trumps argument, aka the internet. I could care less, but you asked if people agree that Wilco covers enough areas of music to be considered "the wal-mart of music," alas I did not realize that "no" was not an option. Silly moi! I shall retreat with my Hansen album clasped to chest, to go cry and wonder why the anonymous man is so mean.

You're ridiculous if you think

This is where the mean began. I don't mind people having their own opinions and I try never to tell them that they are worthy of ridicule when they express them. No is a fine answer to the question, a healthy back and forth is great, but my opinion is no more ridiculous than yours. Peace Golden Smoghead, I apologize for my part in this argument.

This is where the mean began. I don't mind people having their own opinions and I try never to tell them that they are worthy of ridicule when they express them. No is a fine answer to the question, a healthy back and forth is great, but my opinion is no more ridiculous than yours. Peace Golden Smoghead, I apologize for my part in this argument.

Methinks someone might be a little too sensitive for the interwebs?

It must be a slow day here....isn't it enough that Wilco plays a whole ton of songs that all sound pretty much different? There is very little of the blues in their music (none if the blues is considered the actual 12 bar blues), but Jeff has always mixed up the structure and sound of his songs so that unlike many other artists (most in fact) each song retains its individuality as a song, rather than as a genre of music; which in Wilco's case is your basic singersongwriterfolkrock.

LouieB

a genre of music; which in Wilco's case is your basic singersongwriterfolkrock.

Shouldn't there be an "alt" in there somewhere? Anyway, I think they're more the Dick's Sporting Goods of music with the above genre playing the part of sports. If you're into sports/singersongwriteretc, then there's something for men, women & even kids, and everybody I've recommended either entity to generally comes away happy with the experience. But if you need a big plasma screen/arena rock then Best Buy or Pearl Jam might be more your bag. I think somebody like U2 might be the Wal-Mart of rock: they're huge, they've got a little something for everybody, but if they're your favorite band/store then you're kind of settling for less and stupid.

if u2 is your favorite band, you are stupid?

Yeah, I probably should have left those last 2 words off. It strained the analogy a bit far. That said, I was trying to think of a band that was huge, useful on occasion for just about everybody (i.e. has a few songs that everyone likes), but in the end doesn't master one particular thing well. And I'm still not sure U2's not that band. Bono's activism probably eliminates them from the Wal-Mart of rock status, though.

As far as I know, Wilco has yet to put other bands out of business because of its cut-throat musical practices. I doubt Wilco locks recording techs in the loft at night to keep them from stealing anything, and I have to truly wonder whether Wilco encourages the employees it has to go on welfare so that they don't have to pay for their health insurance. Also, when was the last time you saw anyone from the band in a blue smock and a yellow smiley face?

I understand the idea that is trying to be conveyed here, but calling Wilco the Wal-Mart of the music world is pretty damn offensive.

Well said!

Wilco might have been Wal-Mart in the early days. Lately...well, frankly, they've upscaled their image somewhat, so they're probably at least a Target now. A target with a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's next door.

Oh for the love of Christ...Wilco is a rock and roll band. Any other labels are totally unnecessary. I've said this before and I'll say it again.

have I told you how much I love my Garmin navigation system? It is invaluable around here.