Who's a better songwriter (Let's make it interesting):

JUST THE SONG, ITSELF...who's best?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Think about the songs, alone with an acoustic guitar. Who writes the ones that hold up best?

• Paul McCartney
    • John Lennon
    • Ray Davies
    • George Harrison

I was thinking this on the way in to work as I listened to the Sticky Fingers outtakes: they are the best at it, imo. Save for Dylan, perhaps.

There might be no better song than "Get Off My Cloud."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was quite difficult, but it's McCartney by a hair for me. While he has some songs that flat out suck, McCartney at his best is pretty tough to beat. I'd have Lennon, Davies and Harrison in that order just under him. Paul Simon would be in between Davies and Harrison for me, by the way, though his appearance in Annie Hall might be worth him getting the nod over Ray.

--Mike

"Things We Said Today", "I've Just Seen A Face", "Fixing A Hole", "She's Leaving Home", "Rocky Raccoon", "And I Love Her", The middle bit of "A Day In The Life", which is definitely the best part of the song, "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Drive My Car".

Ray Davies is like, last.

:dontgetit One day, one day my friend you will eat those words. :cheers

I was talking to M Chris about how long it would take to listen to every Kinks album excluding live one's. I thought a drive from NY to LA back to NY and alot of camping along the way back to LA.

Without getting into a discussion about how it's not all that great a song, it's half Lennon.

The McCartney bits are the best ones, and it is quite possibly the best song the Beatles ever did.