Biking

Guest Muncle Douchey

Current Ride:

rm50dx.jpg

I'm so glad I brought it with me on my move to New Mexico. Have some nice mountains five minutes away that I'm just starting to explore. What would a good affordable road bike be? I've been riding back and forth to work and have thought about getting a lighter road bike for the trip.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current Ride:

rm50dx.jpg

I'm so glad I brought it with me on my move to New Mexico. Have some nice mountains five minutes away that I'm just starting to explore. What would a good affordable road bike be? I've been riding back and forth to work and have thought about getting a lighter road bike for the trip.

Where in New Mexico are you? My family lives in Albuquerque.

One of the big appeals of a fixed gear is it keeps your legs supple, and also develops a very efficient, fluid pedalling style (which is something sought by all cyclists). And as you develop strenth in your legs, you can actually tackle hills faster than you could before on a derailer.

The other appeal I find is that the maintenance is virtually nill. The ride is almost silent, and you don't have to worry about costly repairs (keeping the chain clean and oiled is about it). Fixies also allow you to have great control in rain or snow, because the braking power originates from your legs rather than friction on the wheel rims. They give you a great connection with the road.

you'd be surprised at how fast the human legs can turn. I've scraped 200 rpms. if you clipped out and let the pedals spin one would surely crash.

Thats why I've always been somewhat shocked at those who wear clipless pedals in a fixie...with no front brake.

My ex husband loved his fixed gear - though he had one of those hubs you could reverse it into a single speed if you wanted to. He was very zen about his bikes and he loved his fixed gear because he said it made him feel closer and more in tune with the movement and the machine - felt like one with it - etc.

I remember my first ride on a fixed gear - it really throws you when you naturally go to coast and your legs keep moving and you almost get thrown off of the bike. I learned not to make that mistake again rather quickly. Stopping was also a challenge to get the hang of - but once you get it - it's a lot of fun. I was never confident enough to ride one regularly.

My ex husband loved his fixed gear - though he had one of those hubs you could reverse it into a single speed if you wanted to. He was very zen about his bikes and he loved his fixed gear because he said it made him feel closer and more in tune with the movement and the machine - felt like one with it - etc.

That's exactly how Joshua describes it. He messengered in NYC on one.

So apparently パンケーキ is not a pussy anymore.

More fun than I ever had on a bike. I did not quite crush souls, but I did handily win the third race which was a 9 lap snowball. By virtue of that I got to race the 20 lap A main feature and took third. I needed more gear. Live and learn. Fun as hell, though I may not be able to walk for a while. I think my lungs hemorrhaged.

Where in New Mexico are you? My family lives in Albuquerque.

just moved to alamogordo in april from connecticut. it's about three and half hours south of albuquerque. You'd better believe I made the trip to see wilco in may though! Unfortunately a freakin recording hasn't surfaced yet.

just moved to alamogordo in april from connecticut. it's about three and half hours south of albuquerque. You'd better believe I made the trip to see wilco in may though! Unfortunately a freakin recording hasn't surfaced yet.

Hmm. That's one of the two or three places in that state I haven't been yet. I too hope a 5/9 recording pops up soon, as my sister was going to go to that show, but didn't make it.

you'd be surprised at how fast the human legs can turn. I've scraped 200 rpms. if you clipped out and let the pedals spin one would surely crash.

Unless you figure somethin out. A friend of mine put pegs on a fixie. I've seen him hit 35 while propped on the pegs.

Hmm. That's one of the two or three places in that state I haven't been yet. I too hope a 5/9 recording pops up soon, as my sister was going to go to that show, but didn't make it.

You're not missing much except Walmart and a decent mexican restaurant, but I'm liking it. It's so much more relaxed and easy going than connecticut was.

• 1 month later...

So someone who knows a lot about bikes or the bike industry enlighten me -- what is the main reason that such a large chunk of bikes sold here have big, knobby tires? Is it comfort? Is it cheaper to make durable knobby tires than durable tires with just a little tread? Or is there no good reason?

My wife, who loves biking, broke an arm earlier this week in a biking accident. She hit a gravel patch and did an endo, flipping over the handlebars. Thankfully, she was wearing a helmet-which she cracked on impact. My point of sharing this....wear a helmet when biking, please!

So someone who knows a lot about bikes or the bike industry enlighten me -- what is the main reason that such a large chunk of bikes sold here have big, knobby tires? Is it comfort? Is it cheaper to make durable knobby tires than durable tires with just a little tread? Or is there no good reason?

Reasons for a mountain bike:

- ride off road, singletrack trails

Reasons there are so many on the market:

- perceived to be more comfortable than road bike

- cheap to spec the components (shifter, brakes, derailleurs)

- more durable

- looks cooler than a roadie (majority believe so)

- no good reason really cuz either a hybrid or road bike can do everything (except singletrack) and if they made more of the road or hybrid they would be a little cheaper. The price points are mt bikes are way cheaper than road and most hybrids.

And a roadie or hybrid is way faster and smoother on street.

Guest Speed Racer

I just bought a fancy new road bike (Specialized Allez Base). And then I bought those fancy pedals and shoes. And then I bought Neosporin, ice packs, ibuprofen and a hell of a lot of gauze, and I think I have gravel stuck in my knee. Clip out dudes, always remember to clip out.

I have started cycling more places, though, to the point where I'm only filling up my Honda every eight weeks instead of every four. I commute to work, go out with friends, grocery shop, and run other errands on my other bike, a Trek hybrid. In addition to saving on gas, I'm finding I'm saving a lot on food, too. Only so much you can bring home in a back pack, and I only buy foods I know I'll eat in the next 2-3 days.

Took me a while to get used to downhills on the road bike, but now it's really easy for me to just go with the flow. I was really surprised at how my neck and shoulders hurt initially, but I was using those muscles to do a lot of things that I've never really had them do before, for three to four hour stretches. I had thought that my legs would really hurt afterward, but it's definitely more of a full-body ache/exhaustion. Then again, that might be from all the falling I've done with the new pedals and shoes. :D

• 1 year later...

I just bought a fancy new road bike (Specialized Allez Base). And then I bought those fancy pedals and shoes. And then I bought Neosporin, ice packs, ibuprofen and a hell of a lot of gauze, and I think I have gravel stuck in my knee. Clip out dudes, always remember to clip out.

I have started cycling more places, though, to the point where I'm only filling up my Honda every eight weeks instead of every four. I commute to work, go out with friends, grocery shop, and run other errands on my other bike, a Trek hybrid. In addition to saving on gas, I'm finding I'm saving a lot on food, too. Only so much you can bring home in a back pack, and I only buy foods I know I'll eat in the next 2-3 days.

Took me a while to get used to downhills on the road bike, but now it's really easy for me to just go with the flow. I was really surprised at how my neck and shoulders hurt initially, but I was using those muscles to do a lot of things that I've never really had them do before, for three to four hour stretches. I had thought that my legs would really hurt afterward, but it's definitely more of a full-body ache/exhaustion. Then again, that might be from all the falling I've done with the new pedals and shoes. :D

*resurrects thread*

I just started road biking this year. It killlls your shoulders and neck at first! I think they actually have hurt more than my legs at some points. Have you adjusted to your clipless pedals okay? I managed to only fall once in mine, and that was clipping out dead stop at a stop light! I just like to think I made a lot of people laugh :)

Guest Speed Racer

Does anyone have good suggestions for energy gels/drinks for longer rides?

I'm a huge fan of Clif Shots Expresso flavor (nevermind the fact that I HATE they're called "ex"presso). They have 100mg of caffeine and 100 calories each. Clif Shot Blocks are also really great (love the Strawberry flavor), but they don't have caffeine. And Clif Bars. Not to imply that I'm brand-loyal. :blush

Honestly, most of my experience with the gels are on 20+ mile runs, but they digest really well. You do need a fair amount of water with each packet, though. You don't have to worry about that as much with biking, which is why I ride with the blocks or bars, too.

If your longer rides are on particularly hot days, then I would suggest one bottle of watery Gatorade (I use the powder, and dilute it - out of the bottle Gatorade is WAY more sugary than the original recipe, and way more sugary than what you need). Otherwise, the gels/blocks should give you the salt and sugar you need.

And, if you're into going old-school, bananas and other small fruits fit handily in a jersey pouch.

I'm a huge fan of Clif Shots Expresso flavor (nevermind the fact that I HATE they're called "ex"presso). They have 100mg of caffeine and 100 calories each. Clif Shot Blocks are also really great (love the Strawberry flavor), but they don't have caffeine. And Clif Bars. Not to imply that I'm brand-loyal. :blush

Honestly, most of my experience with the gels are on 20+ mile runs, but they digest really well. You do need a fair amount of water with each packet, though. You don't have to worry about that as much with biking, which is why I ride with the blocks or bars, too.

If your longer rides are on particularly hot days, then I would suggest one bottle of watery Gatorade (I use the powder, and dilute it - out of the bottle Gatorade is WAY more sugary than the original recipe, and way more sugary than what you need). Otherwise, the gels/blocks should give you the salt and sugar you need.

And, if you're into going old-school, bananas and other small fruits fit handily in a jersey pouch.

Haha, should i get Clif™ bananas? :) I was actually looking at the shot blocks. I'll give those a shot. I also have 2 water cages so I was thinking of doing one regular water & one something w/ some value, so maybe i'll try the watery gatorade. This is for a 55 mile race next sunday, in Connecticut, so I'm not counting on it being terribly hot.

I can't imagine doing a 20+ mile run!