Top 5 Essential Alt-Country Albums

Guest Moses
and if i had to pick one Uncle Tupelo record for such a list, it would be Still Feel Gone & not Anodyne

love 'em both, but Still Feel Gone is iconic ... Anodyne is just a great record

agreed. totally. i actually figured No Depression would be 1, but i'd go with Still Feel Gone as well. doesn't get much more alt-country, or much better in general, than D. Boon & True to Life back to back...

Moses Posted Today, 01:10 PM

am i the only person that thinks Straightaways is far and away better than Trace?

Some guys were listening to Straightaways today at work and as I walked by I actually said "you know, that may very well be my favorite Sonvolt album". No shit. True story. Wow.

The Gear Daddies? Or is my soft Minnesota underbelly showing?

The Gear Daddies? Or is my soft Minnesota underbelly showing?

I am afraid so. Outside of Minnesota, does anyone really know the Gear Daddies. Hell, I lived there for 10 years, seen the Gear Daddies a bunch of times, but I am hard pressed to remember one of their albums.

No love for....mec-mec-cover.jpg??

i'm listening to it right this second. the live album is better but both are on par with any of the aforementioned cds. they just came a little later on when the alt-country fad had passed on so they don't get the notoriety they deserve.

Five are two few to do this well, top 10 would be easier. I'm ok with the five, but I'd add:

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on A Gravel Road

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

Neko Case - Furnace Room Lullaby

Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992

Tarkio- Omnibus