Ray LaMontagne "Gossip In The Grain" Sept. 9th

Sounds like it could be a bit of a departure. Looking forward to it:

RAY LAMONTAGNE TO RELEASE THIRD ALBUM,

'GOSSIP IN THE GRAIN' ON SEPTEMBER 9TH

Lauded singer/songwriter, Ray LaMontagne is set to release his much-anticipated third album, Gossip In The Grain, on September 9th on RCA Records. Recorded with returning producer, Ethan Johns in Box, England, and touching upon a range of styles and musical settings- spanning pastoral folk, railroad blues, front porch country, and plangent balladry - Gossip In The Grain proves to be his most creative and emotionally expansive collection to date.

Whereas LaMontagne's two previous albums, 'Trouble' and 'Till The Sun Turns Black', were largely solo affairs, with Johns serving as multi-tasking instrumentalist, Gossip In The Grain sees him joined by members of his touring band, bassist Jennifer Condos and guitarist Eric Heywood (with Johns largely handling drum duties). Along with his band members, LaMontagne is also joined on two tracks - "A Falling Through" and "I Still Care For You" - by singer/songwriter Leona Naess.

As LaMontagne explains "It was time to open up a little bit more, not be quite so reserved in my choice of songs that I wanted to record. I'm really very critical of myself and it's sort of a process of opening up. I felt like I was in the right space to show that side of myself." Recently called by Vanity Fair "a fresh reminder that the genuine artist is not yet an extinct species," Gossip In The Grain reconfirms Ray LaMontagne as an artist and a craftsman without limits, a songwriter who is able to work his melodic gifts and distinctive lyricism through any of the myriad musical traditions that catches his fancy.

Tracklisting:

1. Let It Be Me

2. Hey Me, Hey Mama

3. Sarah

4. I Still Care For You

5. Winter Birds

6. Meg White

7. Achin' All The Time

8. Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's A Shame)

9. A Falling Through

10. Gossip In The Grain

man, I really loved the 2nd one better than the first.

I'm pumped for this new release.

Same here, I dug the second one quite a bit more than the first. This should be good though.

Well truth be told I listened to the second one far more than the first partially just because I liked the first so much! The second one was definitely a grower for me, and those always end up as my favorite albums.

i loved the first one immediately. i think i listened to the second one 5 times & coudln't stand it.

the second one was just DULL city unfortunately for me... i tried and tried and tried... never clicked

really hope he hones his live show sometime too, would like to see him again some day

The second album was definitely a grower. And I think you really have to be in the mood for it. I too thought it was dull for a while. It's a late night by candlelight kind of record. I saw him back when he played half a tour with Guster. I think he had had a blow up in Nashville or something several nights before the show, so I was afraid he was going to wig out during the Wolf Trap show. He didn't, but he didn't exactly have much stage presence either. I still love listening to the albums though and look forward to the new one.

• 2 months later...

For some reason I didn't think was coming out until next month. I'm looking forward to picking it up. I bought both of his other albums at the same time and listened to them incessantly for a few months, then I kind of burned out on him. I was just thinking the other day as I was scrolling through my iTunes that I might be ready to listen to him again.

Jolene is such a gorgeous, haunting song. I was really hoping I Won't Be Around would be on the new album, but I guess it didn't make the cut. Hopefully he still performs it once in awhile.

you are correct. comes out Oct 14, according to his website.

going to see him Oct 3rd. can't wait

• 2 weeks later...
I'm seeing Ray LaMontagne for the 1st time on October 21st @ the Uptown Theater in Kansas City, a really small venue. New fan, so I have no idea what to expect. I hear he has crowd anxiety? Does everyone sit, stand..stay quiet?

I haven't seen him since the pre-Trouble/Trouble days when it was clear that he was very....fragile onstage...just felt painfully shy, like an open wound. I've heard that he's grown into a more detached performer and therefore, more standard. That said, you know crowds are always a roll of the dice and there's always the numbnut in any given crowd. Everyone stood at those shows.

So I know some on here have heard the new album and I'm curious what your thoughts are?

has the new album leaked? been released in a foreign country ? not out till oct 15th according to his site.

There are two songs that I would confidently say are good: "A Falling Through" and "Let It Be Me," the latter some of you have probably already heard already. After that..... "Winter Birds" is decent enough. I LOVED Trouble, one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years. I grew to like Till The Sun Turns Black, and I guess there's a possibility that I will grow to like this one as well. I feel this one just added too much. A Ray LaMontagne record doesn't need horns and tons of effects.