I got two of those in one pack. True story.

And I am laughing since you say it "will only rise." I seem to remember thinking that card was worth "$100" back in the old days. You know, before everyone relalized these cards weren't worth crap... :)

I cant believe you got 2 in one pack, I dont think i ever got a double in a pack, but I believe you.

Yeah, it was worth more back then, then people realized so much was out there that prices dropped big time. I meant from now on, I dont see Griffey's price going down cause prices are more realistic now. Unless griffey jr gets caught up in some steriod case, he's headed for HOF and a good reputatation to boot. His injuries prevented him from being one of the best to ever play. Although I dont expect to rise in price to be much, it will slowly rise as the years pass by. Nothing to invest in.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cant believe you got 2 in one pack, I dont think i ever got a double in a pack, but I believe you.

If I remember right, that was Upper Deck's first year of production, right? I seem to remember there were a lot of glitches, and I got doubles fairly frequently that year. But just in Upper Deck and just that year.

Man, those Upper Deck cards were beautiful when they first came out. So shiny. So much better.

If I remember right, that was Upper Deck's first year of production, right? I seem to remember there were a lot of glitches, and I got doubles fairly frequently that year. But just in Upper Deck and just that year.

Man, those Upper Deck cards were beautiful when they first came out. So shiny. So much better.

You're right, Upper Deck first year. It was the new brand that I thought was so much better than the rest. It costed a $1 a pack which was expensive at that time, but worth it. It blew away Topps and Donruss.

I fell in love with a different brand of shiny: Fleer Ultra. They were new when I started really getting into cards and I thought they would be huge. I'm guessing that they're worthless now.

I got two of those in one pack. True story.

A friend of mine and I split a box the week they came out. I took the left half. I also got two Griffey's in one pack. I had a total of four Griffey's in my half and he didn't have one in his half.

A friend of mine and I split a box the week they came out. I took the left half. I also got two Griffey's in one pack. I had a total of four Griffey's in my half and he didn't have one in his half.

hahahaha!!!! he musta felt so let down, you shouldve given him 1 of them to be nice.

Guest Jules
I have the Upper Deck Griffey rookie.
That UD Griffey rookie is your best card of that generation, its worth about $40 and will only rise. He just hit #600 and headed up the short list to beat Sosa.

I have this one as well. I paid $25 at a card show and thought I made a great investment. It went down to almost nothing for a while.

I used to have the 87 Fleer Jordan. In 1990 I went through this 87 Fleer phase. I was buying them for $15 a pack. It was such a small set you almost always got something good. I had most of the 86 set minus the Jordan.

One kid's dad that I carpooled with in elementary school was a distributor for a candy company and he gave me 3 full countertop boxes of 1977 Topps cards. Had I realized what I had I would have just left them alone, unopened.

My favorite card that I own is the '69 Aurileo Rodriguez rookie card. The photographer knew he was the Mexican kid on the Angels, so he grabbed the first Mexican-looking kid he saw and snapped a pic. Turns out it was the batboy. Too bad the card is in crap shape.

Awesome!! My two in one pack was a cool story too, I think. I saved and saved and saved my money to buy a box of packs. I didnt have the money or any interest in saving up to buy the Griffey a la carte, but I thought it was a better idea to spend less on the box, with the hope that I'd get one Griffey as all the other good cards from that year.

So anyway, like I said, I saved and saved. I finally had enough money and I made the purchase. I ran home and started ripping open packs. I was getting good cards, but with 3 packs left, I hadn't gotten a Griffey. If I remember right, even then, that was the most sought after card in the set. I opened the 3rd to last pack -- nothing. I opened the second to last pack, got one Griffey, got a second Griffey.

That was the craziest emotional ordeal of my life to that point... Maybe you had to be there. I went from looking at a big nothing, to two in one pack. :)

Awesome!! My two in one pack was a cool story too, I think. I saved and saved and saved my money to buy a box of packs. I didnt have the money or any interest in saving up to buy the Griffey a la carte, but I thought it was a better idea to spend less on the box, with the hope that I'd get one Griffey as all the other good cards from that year.

So anyway, like I said, I saved and saved. I finally had enough money and I made the purchase. I ran home and started ripping open packs. I was getting good cards, but with 3 packs left, I hadn't gotten a Griffey. If I remember right, even then, that was the most sought after card in the set. I opened the 3rd to last pack -- nothing. I opened the second to last pack, got one Griffey, got a second Griffey.

That was the craziest emotional ordeal of my life to that point... Maybe you had to be there. I went from looking at a big nothing, to two in one pack. :)

The anticipation of what I was going to get in pack was great. What a great memory of childhood.

I can understand. that was a lot of money for a box of cards. especially new ones.

You can bring back memories with this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1989-89-UPPER-DECK-UD-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Did any of you mail cards to players to be signed? Most veterans wouldn't mess with it, so the trick was finding young players with potential. My best autograph score through this method was Gary Sheffield on his 89 Topps rookie, wearing a Brewers uni and braces.

Did any of you mail cards to players to be signed? Most veterans wouldn't mess with it, so the trick was finding young players with potential. My best autograph score through this method was Gary Sheffield on his 89 Topps rookie, wearing a Brewers uni and braces.

Sweet!

gary.jpg

I still have a bunch of Baseball cards from the late 70s, early 80s. Unfortunately I didn't collect them as avidly as hockey cards so I don't have any complete sets like I do with Hockey.

When I was a kid we would line up a row of cards along a wall like bowling pins and flick other cards at them. The kid that knocked over the most cards got to keep them. If we only knew how much those cards would be worth someday we probably wouldn't have treated them so badly.

I think the most valuable card I have is a Wayne Gretzky rookie card. Not sure what's it worth these days, but years ago it was about $850...

Holy crap, I see that one of these sold for $80,000 back in 2006. Geez, I'll have to get mine appraised and see if I'm sitting on a goldmine.