I used to collect baseball cards growing up in the mid 80's to early 90's. Now I have a renewed interest now. I am learning alot cause things have changed so much. Not just cards anymore. Autographs, Game Used materials, Grading services, and all kinds of new editions. Really cool stuff but you do have to pay for it.

Anybody else here collect baseball cards? What cool cards do you have?

rs.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I have some Tops cards from the early 70's

a Clemente is my fav

likewise, I collected pretty serious Topps 1970-1977 -- best year was 71 with the black borders.

I got back into it in the late 80s and wasted a lot of money. The game had passed Topps by.

I have complete Topps sets from 1983 through at least 1991. I was really into collecting baseball cards back in the day... I even loved those sticker books.

mlb-1990-topps-sticker-year.jpg

I (along with 4 brothers) collected tons of Topps baseball cards throughout the 70s. I wish I knew where they were today. I still have a handful from the 70s/80s (Glenn Hoffman, Rich Gedman, Lee Smith, Mike Hargrove, Mike Torrez, Thurman Munson, Bob Montgomery, Dave Parker, Bobby Bonds, Rollie Fingers, etc.).

I picked up a Daisuke Matsuzaka Rookie card last year, as well as a Jim Rice card with a snippet of game-worn jersey in it. I also picked up the Topps entire 1986 Red Sox roster set.

I think so - I have not looked at it in a long time. I gave all the rest away to some friend's kids a long time ago. I wish I had kept them - I had the whole 77 Yankees and Lou Brock, Rollie Fingers, Vida Blue, etc. They were 25 cents a pack - as I recall.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
And came with that slab of bubble gum with the powdery shit all over it.

For chits and giggles the other day, I bought a 99-cent pack of Topps cards at the convenience store counter. The gum is now wrapped in plastic and or 99 cents you get a whopping seven cards.

One of my old friends has a kid who just graduated from elementary school (5th grade). He's a big baseball fan and collects cards so I recently gave him a shoebox full of cards I still had lying around here as a present. I hadn't looked at these things since I moved away from my folks' house. Mostly '69 - '74 stuff. Most of the players from the Orioles and A's super teams from that time were in there. Plus a few of the "3D" cards you used to get from a cereal box (Sugar Crisp?).

Interesting trip down memory lane for me.

When I was a kid, I suspected my local card shop was opening the Topps wax packs, taking out the good cards, replacing them with commons and resealing. I haven't collected cards in a long time, but I hope they are making them tamper-proof now.

Guest Jules
I don't think so.

I didn't think so. So, why the renewed interest, ZenLunatic? Just for the fun of it? I used to enjoy the collecting process, but part of it was watching the value and finding rare, undervalued cards, etc. What am I missing?

Mine's in much better shape than this, but this is my fave card I own

04F.jpg

I used to collect back in the 80s and 90s. It's too expensive and not as fun anymore. There's a couple of older cards I look for on ebay that I've always wanted... ie 1971 Nolan Ryan. I love that card.

I was a big Will Clark collector back in the day.

I didn't think so. So, why the renewed interest, ZenLunatic? Just for the fun of it? I used to enjoy the collecting process, but part of it was watching the value and finding rare, undervalued cards, etc. What am I missing?

For those of you who have pre 80's cards, they could be worth something. I would check ebay to see what the stars are selling at. Around the 80's is when the people really started saving cards for value so thats when value takes a dip. Funny it works that way but 70's and older are much harder to find cause people just threw the cards away.

I have a renewed interest because my kid is starting to get into them and it brings back memories of myself collecting them. I am into collecting things in general so it is just natural for me to startup again. Things have completely changed now in baseball cards. They have a place for serious collectors who are willing to spend hundreds and thousands on the hobby, which I am not a part of but it does exists now. Super Rare cards come out every year that are worth hundreds from the get-go. I am trying to keep things simple like before and just make complete sets from packs and collect cool rare cards of all my favorite Cubs stars. I like keeping up with the price changes but not in it for the money, just like having cool cards of my fav players. Also, now that I am older, I can afford to buy more of what I want.

I just bought a 1988 Score Traded Mark Grace rookie PSA graded 10 for $22. :)

scan0026.jpg

Guest Jules
For those of you who have pre 80's cards, they could be worth something. I would check ebay to see what the stars are selling at. Around the 80's is when the people really started saving cards for value so thats when value takes a dip. Funny it works that way but 70's and older are much harder to find cause people just threw the cards away.

I have a renewed interest because my kid is starting to get into them and it brings back memories of myself collecting them. I am into collecting things in general so it is just natural for me to startup again. Things have completely changed now in baseball cards. They have a place for serious collectors who are willing to spend hundreds and thousands on the hobby, which I am not a part of but it does exists now. Super Rare cards come out every year that are worth hundreds from the get-go. I am trying to keep things simple like before and just make complete sets from packs and collect cool rare cards of all my favorite Cubs stars. I like keeping up with the price changes but not in it for the money, just like having cool cards of my fav players. Also, now that I am older, I can afford to buy more of what I want.

I just bought a 1988 Score Traded Mark Grace rookie PSA graded 10 for $22. :)

Fair enough. Maybe I'll dig out some of the oldies and check em out.

A few years ago, I went back, and looked at all of my cards. I probably have more than 10k of them. It was a blast just revisiting them.

I have 3 complete sets of '88 Donruss I collected just from buying packs. Last I looked, they were worth about thirteen bucks/set. I have the Upper Deck Griffey rookie. I still laugh at the Billy Ripken "fuck face" card after all of these years. Also, I found 2 complete sets of those Topps baseball coin things they made. I wish I could remember all of the cool stuff I found out I have.

Anyone remember when they thought Greg Jefferies was going to be the next Jesus, and his 88 Donruss rookie card was supposed to be THE card to have. Turns out he sucked.

A few years ago, I went back, and looked at all of my cards. I probably have more than 10k of them. It was a blast just revisiting them.

I have 3 complete sets of '88 Donruss I collected just from buying packs. Last I looked, they were worth about thirteen bucks/set. I have the Upper Deck Griffey rookie. I still laugh at the Billy Ripken "fuck face" card after all of these years. Also, I found 2 complete sets of those Topps baseball coin things they made. I wish I could remember all of the cool stuff I found out I have.

Anyone remember when they thought Greg Jefferies was going to be the next Jesus, and his 88 Donruss rookie card was supposed to be THE card to have. Turns out he sucked.

You must have collected cards exactly when I was cause I remember all that. Yeah, Gregg Jefferies. I had him too and was so proud of it then. In the 88 donruss, you have more Griffey Jr. rookies.

That UD Griffey rookie is your best card of that generation, its worth about $40 and will only rise. He just hit #600 and headed up the short list to beat Sosa.

If you have the fuckface card, thats worth alot.

That UD Griffey rookie is your best card of that generation, its worth about $40 and will only rise. He just hit #600 and headed up the short list to beat Sosa.

I got two of those in one pack. True story.

And I am laughing since you say it "will only rise." I seem to remember thinking that card was worth "$100" back in the old days. You know, before everyone relalized these cards weren't worth crap... :)