Peaking on my Dylan obsession

Would anyone be kind enough to do a B&P or some other arrangement for The Genuine Basement Tapes? I've never heard these... Thanks in advance if anyone can help. Just shoot me a PM. I will be your best friend forever.

I second MattZ plea....purty please? I can get blanks out pronto.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know i'm in a minority here, but Under the red sky is worth getting. its has a unique sound for him. catchy songs (not "strong" ones), but it has a nice bluesy rock feel, with lots of special musicians playing with him.

Shot of love and Infidels are great too. Just steer clear of Empire Burlesque

This wouldn't come off quite as annoying if there wasn't another a Dylan thread on the first PAGE of Someone Else's Song at the moment, you know the one that's three threads under this one.

For what it's worth if you look at the time he posted this, this thread was posted before the last "what's your favorite Bob Dylan album" thread reappeared on the first page. Also he had two questions, one not covered as much as Bob Dylan records.

For what it's worth if you look at the time he posted this, this thread was posted before the last "what's your favorite Bob Dylan album" thread reappeared on the first page. Also he had two questions, one not covered as much as Bob Dylan records.
What I want to know is, how many people out there become obsessed with one artist at a time and listen to them exclusively until burnout. When I find an artist I like, no matter how present that artist is in our culture, I feel like I've discovered something special. I have to buy and listen to their entire catalog ( which in this case is unfortunate because Bob has a lot of albums). I do this with every new artist I "discover". Am I crazy? I know I'm a little OCD. Is there a support group for me? Am I just distracting myself until the next Wilco album?

Thanks brother. This was my main question. The stuff about Dylan was just an introduction. I knew if I mentioned Ol Bob people would come a runnin'

Step out of line, the man come and take you away.

This thread has became what Dylan to get, what Dylan I like, etc. Just as every Dylan thread does at some point. I was doing just what I said I was doing - following up on LB's post. And then I made a joke - and now I am sort of mad.

Anyhow - we are not talking like the last Dylan thread was 6 months ago - it was matter of weeks. Anyhow #2 - it does not much matter - if people want to talk about the same thing in two threads at the same time, so be it.

This thread has became what Dylan to get, what Dylan I like, etc. Just as every Dylan thread does at some point. I was doing just what I said I was doing - following up on LB's post. And then I made a joke - and now I am sort of mad.

Anyhow - we are not talking like the last Dylan thread was 6 months ago - it was matter of weeks. Anyhow #2 - it does not much matter - if people want to talk about the same thing in two threads at the same time, so be it.

Why are you mad?

i know i'm in a minority here, but Under the red sky is worth getting. its has a unique sound for him. catchy songs (not "strong" ones), but it has a nice bluesy rock feel, with lots of special musicians playing with him.

Shot of love and Infidels are great too. Just steer clear of Empire Burlesque

Now see I really dislike Red Sky (probably one of the lowest points of Dylan's career), but I do like Empire Burlesque. Then again Down in the Groove may be the complete low point.

So true so true...

LouieB

Well, that's a trumped up statement, to be sure. On one of my less civil days, I might say the same thing about Times They Are A-Changin', to which fans seem to have a similar love/hate relationship, but I probably wouldn't.

Seriously, there's a lot to dislike about Another Side. Start with the just plain ugly Ballad in Plain D and go from there...

I've never heard of people dissing Another Side of Bob Dylan before.
Me either...frankly not liking it is sort of bizarre...

If you don't like it, then, frankly, you don't like Dylan.
Done in one night, it is nothing short of a solo masterpiece.

LouieB

Well, that's a trumped up statement, to be sure. On one of my less civil days, I might say the same thing about Times They Are A-Changin', to which fans seem to have a similar love/hate relationship, but I probably wouldn't.

Seriously, there's a lot to dislike about Another Side. Start with the just plain ugly Ballad in Plain D and go from there...

Well - I am not all that fond of that song either. It is about his fights with Suze and her sister Carla Rotolo. But still, there are some great songs on that album.

Time out of Mind and Love & Theft are both top-notch.

Good as I Been to You is good too, kind of a deep cut album, if there is such a thing.

Also, all of the songs on the Rolling Thunder Revue minus Joan Baez are top-notch.

And Live 1966 is great.

What I said wasn't really directed at you. I get what you're doing and I think it's important but I think it's more important for the community that newer users feel welcomed. This board can be kind of intimidating with all the cliques and what not. I don't think it's fair that someone's topic gets called "annoying" because everyone decided to ignore the posters main question and talk about something that's been discussed recently. Not that I have a problem with anyone here or anything.

What I said wasn't really directed at you. I get what you're doing and I think it's important but I think it's more important for the community that newer users feel welcomed. This board can be kind of intimidating with all the cliques and what not. I don't think it's fair that someone's topic gets called "annoying" because everyone decided to ignore the posters main question and talk about something that's been discussed recently. Not that I have a problem with anyone here or anything.

I am not in any clique - let's get that straight.

I wasn't actually busting on the dude - as I have already said at least twice.

Just like there are certain threads that some people post all their discussion in - with regards to said topic, there should be one Dylan thread - and then we can all just post all of our Dylan posts in that. That is what I think anyway. It works quite well for GD, Phish, and Ryan Adams discussion anyhow.

I am not in any clique - let's get that straight.

I wasn't actually busting on the dude - as I have already said at least twice.

Just like there are certain threads that some people post all their discussion in - with regards to said topic, there should be one Dylan thread - and then we can all just post all of our Dylan posts in that. That is what I think anyway. It works quite well for GD, Phish, and Ryan Adams discussion anyhow.

I can certainly vouch for that....

Making new posters feel welcome is okay, but on the other hand directing a new poster to a thread that is still quite current and may contain information that will be helpful to them isn't such a bad thing either.

When I want to know about various albums I don't automatically post here, I usually check out comments on Amazon or maybe check out Wikipedia or some other site. I mean how many times have we patiently said sort of the same stuff about Dylan, Gram Parsons (see the other thread), the Kinks, or the Beatles or any number of other artists. These things don't change that much and frankly beyond a few essential albums by any artist, most of the rest are pretty much of a crap shoot. At this stage of Dylan's career, his best work is pretty obvious and has been for several decades. The rest, well you pay your money and take your chance. (the original poster here has 20 albums, no small sample of Dylan's work.) Once again if there is something specific someone is looking for we can better them, but otherwise giving the same answers to the same question gets kinda boring. One can understand how people here get a bit testy at times.

LouieB

Also he had two questions, one not covered as much as Bob Dylan records.
Thanks brother. This was my main question. The stuff about Dylan was just an introduction. I knew if I mentioned Ol Bob people would come a runnin'
Making new posters feel welcome is okay, but on the other hand directing a new poster to a thread that is still quite current and may contain information that will be helpful to them isn't such a bad thing either.

One can understand how people here get a bit testy at times.

Ok then, do me a favour and find me one other topic in the last 6 months or in the first 5 pages about musical obsession with just one artist.

Sorry but it just bothers me that there's a group of people on this forum who are all on a first name basis and sometimes it seems like they ignore posts written by newcomers... definitely not saying Analogman is one of those people and I'm not saying you are either but... well, I remember what it was like when I first started posting here regularly.

Ok then, do me a favour and find me one other topic in the last 6 months or in the first 5 pages about musical obsession with just one artist.

Sorry but it just bothers me that there's a group of people on this forum who are all on a first name basis and sometimes it seems like they ignore posts written by newcomers... definitely not saying Analogman is one of those people and I'm not saying you are either but... well, I remember what it was like when I first started posting here regularly.

I see your point - but do we need a Dylan thread for every Dylan thought that someone decides to post.

You know, I like reading this stuff - and if it is in one place, we can all read it and comment - instead of having a bunch of separate little side trips.

Everyone can do what they want - but I shall continue to try and keep my thoughts on a particular artist or topic in one place.

Plus - as LB said - people love to answer questions here, but answering them over and over again can get tedious. I am keen to share whatever knowledge I have - even over and over again - but in two places at the same time is a bit much.

i've got nothing against most of the songs on Another side. its just the sound of the recording that bugs me a bit

as for Good as i been to you, thats a great. its more upbeat than World gone wrong and hasd some of his best acoustic playing. check out Step it up and go - its claimned that the abum was recorded live, with no overdubs, but i'm convinced that song has a 2nd guitar. if not, Dylan sure can play his acoustic guitar

I see your point - but do we need a Dylan thread for every Dylan thought that someone decides to post.

You know, I like reading this stuff - and if it is in one place, we can all read it and comment - instead of having a bunch of separate little side trips.

Everyone can do what they want - but I shall continue to try and keep my thoughts on a particular artist or topic in one place.

Plus - as LB said - people love to answer questions here, but answering them over and over again can get tedious. I am keen to share whatever knowledge I have - even over and over again - but in two places at the same time is a bit much.

I'm sorry I mentioned Dylan. I could just have easily used Elliott Smith, Wilco, Willie Nelson, Buddy Holly, Merle Haggard, Tom Waits, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Andrew Bird, Okkervil River, Uncle tupelo, Spoon, blah, blah, blah, whatever, whatever, whatever. I've been obsessed with many artists and music in general all of my life. Dylan just happens to be my current obsession. It started with that Tweedy versus Dylan thread. I voted for Tweedy but was convinced by the thread to give Dylan a real chance. I didn't set out to annoy anyone, I just wanted to talk about music. That's why I visit this thread. I happen to think all of the guys and gals around here have great taste and we all have at least a few things in common. One of which is the fact that music is such a big part of our lives that we spend most of our free time pursuing, listening to, and talking about it. By the way, my wife and I are expecting a little girl in November and we're naming her Dylan. :wub