Peaking on my Dylan obsession

I think Desire may be the one I listen to the most - at least in the last couple of years. When I was 15 or 16, it was Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde.

That's the great thing about his work - there is an album there for every age. Sometimes, I just listen to the beginning of Like a Rolling Stone - because it so moving. I mean - you hear that snare crack, and you always know what song it is. I have lived Dylan songs in real life - which is not always a good thing.

Yea, there is a reason Like a Rolling Stone is always mentioned as one of the greatest rock songs ever. Not only are the words beyond belief, but the entire sound of it is just so universal. I know this is something that has been spoken of before, but when it was a hit single, only the first half was played on the radio; so when you hear the entire song, the turn around at the beginning of the third verse is just like the most spine tingling thing ever. At the point that the song was released you couldn't play a 5 to 6 minute song on the radio. It was a shame, but it still blew every other single out of the water, even with only two verses.

LouieB

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the response Louie B. I think I'll give Slow Train a shot if only for Serve Somebody. I'm not a religious person, but my mom is and I learned to appreciate gospel through her. The gospel album The Troublemaker by Willie Nelson is one of my favorites so I'm sure Dylan can make a decent one as well.

I'm hyped about that 'Mississippi' outtake from the TOOM sessions. that song woulda fit in perfectly with TOOM but its a good thing that they saved if for L&T as it helped save that album from being a complete disaster. don't get me wrong, I still like L&T but it def. ain't the best Dylan album.

CD2 (1997–2006):

- Girl From The Red River Shore (outtake from “Time Out Of Mind”)

“Could be the strongest song Dylan has written in years.

The ghost ballad is an epic number where Duke Robillard’s guitar

and Jim Dickinsons piano are a contrast to Dylan’s hallucinatory

and ghostlike voice.”

Any reason why it didn't make TOOM in the first place? :unsure

I'm not sure he had anything to do with The Basement Tapes release - that was Robbie Robertson's deal. I have also read that he does not really have much to do with The Bootleg Series, either.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Robbie and his overdubs. One of my instructors in college was talking about how the only musician he was ever nervous about meeting was Robbie Robertson and said that he was a total prick to him. Which is kind of cool, since this guy was a total prick to me.

Like the time he left I'm Not There off the Basement Tapes and also left it off all The Bootleg Series.

They threw it on the I'm not There soundtrack though...better late than never...

LouieB

It's on The Genuine Basement Tapes (Volume 3).

Sign on the Cross

Next to Silent Weekend, this is the real reason to own this disc. Sign on the Cross is simply one of Dylan's very best performances ever. Everything about this seven minute gem is perfect, from Garth's organ swells right down to Bob's drunken monologue. I think it's interesting to note that the basic structure and melody of this song was recycled many years later for the Dylan/U2 collaboration Love Rescue Me. Even though a stereo mix exists, this track is in mono. Still worth it, as it sounds very loud and clear.

The other day, I was getting into Corrina, Corrina - never gave that song much thought before.

"Corrine, Corrina" is a 12 bar country blues song in the AAB form. "Corrine, Corrina" was first recorded by Bo Chatmon and the Mississippi Sheiks (Brunswick 7080, December 1928).

"Corrina, Corrina" has been considerably changed by Dylan. "I'm not one of those guys who goes around changing songs just for the sake of changing them. But I'd never heard Corrina, Corrina exactly the way it first was, so that this version is the way it came out of me." As he indicates here, Dylan can be tender without being sentimental and his lyricism is laced with unabashed passion. The accompaniment is Dick Wellstood (piano), Howie Collins (guitar), Bruce Langhorne (guitar), Leonard Gaskin (bass) and Herb Lovelle (drums).

Neil McCormick

Bob Dylan has a new album ready for release. This represents an almost unheard of turnaround for the legendary old curmudgeon in his latter period. There has been four or five years between each of his last four albums, the most recent being the much acclaimed
Speaking of Dylan cds - anyone ever bought all of those Hybrid-SACD re-masters?

I never did - as I own almost all the pre-re-master Dylan cds and I figured it would too costly to replace them all - I bought almost all of them new for $8.99 each.

I bought them all in a box set when they were released. (You saved a bit of money by doing so). The Stones put out the 60's and early 70's stuff out on SACD at the same time so during that whole SACD craze I bought a Denon player that played the SACD's.

To me it sounds really good, but I guess it depends on your sound system and your tastes. About 5 or 7 of the Dylan CD's were 5.1 and to me these really sound good, esp Blood on the Tracks, Another Side, and Slow Train Coming.

SACD is a dead medium now, yes? At least that is what some dude in a record store in Pittsburgh told me a few month ago.

I think some classical music companies are still putting out SACD's. But as far as Jazz and Rock I think it is dead.

This came about as I was about to buy one of those Who cd re-issues I don't own (Tommy 2 disc edition) and the guy at the counter pointed out the fact that I was about to buy an SACD - which was a nice thing of him to do - a I would not have been able to play it. All of the early Stones cds I bought a while back have an SACD layer.

My Dylan obsession is so deep I ordered all three albums by Jewels and Binoculars and they were even new. The two early ones came today so I haven't listened to them yet, but the newest one is pretty good I think.

LouieB

My Dylan obsession is so deep I ordered all three albums by Jewels and Binoculars and they were even new. The two early ones came today so I haven't listened to them yet, but the newest one is pretty good I think.

LouieB

Were you able to catch Jewels and Binoculars at the Hideout last April? It was the first time I seen or heard them play and I was definitely impressed. Michael Vatcher's drumming is fun to watch and his playing is great. I guess one can say I'm obsessed with Dylan and seeing Jewels and Binoculars interpretation of Dylan's music was both enjoyable and the music of course was well played. They were completely "into" the music and a thrill to watch. I haven't gotten around to purchase any of their albums, yet, but I definitely recommend any Dylan fan to see them play if they get a chance, (even if they are not necessarily into jazz).

you dont wanna see my list then. roughly nearly 2000 bootlegs. i've also stopped trading, otherwise i'll need to build another story on my house to fit them!. when you have a recording of every show he did in a particular year, then it has to be going a bit too far