Peaking on my Dylan obsession

I owned two albums by Bob just a short two months ago, now I own twenty. I still think my favorites are B on B, Bringing it Back, Hwy 61, Nashville Skyline, and Freewheelin. I own all except the first and the third from the sixties and it's all a lot to digest but I'm having fun. I need some tips for the 70's (besides Blood) and 80's. Hopefully all of this music will entertain and inform me for years. What I want to know is, how many people out there become obsessed with one artist at a time and listen to them exclusively until burnout. When I find an artist I like, no matter how present that artist is in our culture, I feel like I've discovered something special. I have to buy and listen to their entire catalog ( which in this case is unfortunate because Bob has a lot of albums). I do this with every new artist I "discover". Am I crazy? I know I'm a little OCD. Is there a support group for me? Am I just distracting myself until the next Wilco album? :monkey

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have most of the good stuff. I have always been partial to Street Legal myself from the 70s.

You may want to do a search for other Dylan threads. Lots of folks have given their faves on those.

I assume you have Another Side....

LouieB

You have most of the good stuff. I have always been partial to Street Legal myself from the 70s.

You may want to do a search for other Dylan threads. Lots of folks have given their faves on those.

I assume you have Another Side....

LouieB

Yeah I have it. I'm a little conflicted by Motorpsycho Nitemare

Good to hear your hooked! As far as recommendations go - the 1983 LP "Infidels" is one of my 5 favorite Dylan LPs. Not one bad song on there. Jokerman is a major work imo.

My main question was obsession.

At the end of the day, obsession with anything is not good. I was following up on LB's suggestion - plus, all these threads on the same topic will interrupt the time space continuum some day.

At the end of the day, obsession with anything is not good. I was following up on LB's suggestion - plus, all these threads on the same topic will interrupt the time space continuum some day.

Some of us haven't been here as long as you and discussion in the present is much better than obsession with the past.

What I want to know is, how many people out there become obsessed with one artist at a time and listen to them exclusively until burnout. When I find an artist I like, no matter how present that artist is in our culture, I feel like I've discovered something special. I have to buy and listen to their entire catalog ( which in this case is unfortunate because Bob has a lot of albums). I do this with every new artist I "discover". Am I crazy? I know I'm a little OCD. Is there a support group for me?

Perhaps we're brothers, I dunno but I do the exact same thing. I've always been like that, since I was 14 and discovered Weezer and bought all their albums, downloaded all their b-sides, bought all the albums by The Rentals, and went on their website every evening to download the latest demos they posted. Then when I was 16 I got really really into The Beatles for about 18 months %75 of what I listened to was probably Beatles or Beatles-related. I can't listen to the Beatles too much anymore due to that so I try to retain from listening to the same albums too much anymore. But I still will get really into one artist for awhile... I just try not to wear them out. Since The Beatles, I've gotten really into (but not for as long as them) Neil Young, Wilco of course, Songs: Ohia, and now actually, Dylan.

Some of us haven't been here as long as you and discussion in the present is much better than obsession with the past.

You're right from your side,

I'm right from mine.

We're both just one too many mornings

An' a thousand miles behind.

This wouldn't come off quite as annoying if there wasn't another a Dylan thread on the first PAGE of Someone Else's Song at the moment, you know the one that's three threads under this one. Subsequently, if you want to whine about Analogman's dedication to the search function, you can use the search function and I'm sure there's been a thread about that at some point ;).

--Mike

This wouldn't come off quite as annoying if there wasn't another a Dylan thread on the first PAGE of Someone Else's Song at the moment, you know the one that's three threads under this one. Subsequently, if you want to whine about Analogman's dedication to the search function, you can use the search function and I'm sure there's been a thread about that at some point ;).

--Mike

I'm not whining, the point of my discussion was obsession with an artist and the need to devour his/her entire catalog. No disrespect to A-man, he seems to be a genuine person.

Go out and get The Basement Tapes.

Do it now.

Report back Monday after repeated listenings.

Godspeed.

Roger. Will do

>Desire

Planet Waves

Blood on the Tracks

Street Legal

That's spot on. You could add Before the Flood to that, too. And what's great about Dylan is the diversity in sound of each record, so you could listen to him for months (and years) and not feel like your listening to the same thing repeatedly.

Go out and get The Basement Tapes.

Do it now.

Report back Monday after repeated listenings.

Godspeed.

In all seriousness, where would a technology challenged simpleton like myself procure these basement tapes?

Guest Moses

i'm not as big on Desire as others around here. it's alright.

but you must pick up

New Morning

Planet Waves

Blood on the Tracks

Before the Flood

The Basement Tapes