Anyone ever see these earlier musical legends in conert?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles

Early Rolling Stones

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

Early REM, U2 or The Cure

Woodstock

Elvis

Miles Davis

Others?

The Beatles and JImi didn't tour all that much. Nor did Elvis except if you want to Vegas or were seeing music in the 1950s. I did see MIles a couple times, but later in his career.

I have seen lots of legends, but many of whom are not as famous as these. There are plenty of others I wish I had seen.

LouieB

I have a friend from New York about 10 years older than me and he has, to me, an incredible concert resume.  in 1970, his older cousin took him to the Fillmore East when he was 16 or so to see the Allman Brothers with Duane Allman with the Grateful Dead on the bill, too  It was his first real rock concert, unfuckingbelievable to be so fortunate.  He saw Derek and the Dominoes there later that same year. He also saw The Band shows at the Academy of Music in 1971 when they recorded Rock of Ages and had Allen Toussaint arrange the horn section and Bob Dylan was the surprise guest for New Year's Eve.  Later he moved out to SF and had a buddy who worked for Bill Graham, so they all went to see the Last Waltz.  I am so jealous!

The musical director at my high school was a jazz player and had some connections.  In the mid 70s he brought the Count Basie Orchestra (when Basie was still alive and playing with them) to our high school gym in Escondido, California, so I got taken to that when I was just 7 or so.   Don't remember much of that one, but later when I was 16, I took my Mom up to see Ella Fitzgerald in Westwood at a little theater.  I was a rebellious stoner kid and my Mom a prim and proper Pollyana, so it was weird that we went to see a concert together.  We ended up with seats in the first few rows, the very first time I'd been that close at any concert.  Joe Pass Trio opened, and they were also her backing band.  She hobbled out on stage with a cane, stockings all saggy and bunched up around her ankles, glasses as thick as Coke bottles, looking very frail and weak.  And then she opened her mouth and started to sing and scat with power and sprightly dexterity, sounding decades younger than she looked.  It was incredible.  "Every honey bee fills with jealousy, when they see you walk with me.  I don't blame them goodness knows, honeysuckle rose"  I was blown away and feel so so fortunate to have been lucky enough to get to see her before she passed away.

The musical director at my high school was a jazz player and had some connections.  In the mid 70s he brought the Count Basie Orchestra (when Basie was still alive and playing with them) to our high school gym in Escondido, California, so I got taken to that when I was just 7 or so.   Don't remember much of that one, but later when I was 16, I took my Mom up to see Ella Fitzgerald in Westwood at a little theater.  I was a rebellious stoner kid and my Mom a prim and proper Pollyana, so it was weird that we went to see a concert together.  We ended up with seats in the first few rows, the very first time I'd been that close at any concert.  Joe Pass Trio opened, and they were also her backing band.  She hobbled out on stage with a cane, stockings all saggy and bunched up around her ankles, glasses as thick as Coke bottles, looking very frail and weak.  And then she opened her mouth and started to sing and scat with power and sprightly dexterity, sounding decades younger than she looked.  It was incredible.  "Every honey bee fills with jealousy, when they see you walk with me.  I don't blame them goodness knows, honeysuckle rose"  I was blown away and feel so so fortunate to have been lucky enough to get to see her before she passed away.

I do believe I saw this tour. It was the same configuration. It was not too long before both Basie and Ella passed. Joe Pass was amazing. I was in the balcony at either the Chicago Theater or somewhere else. It was part of Pablo records which was Norman Granz's later label in the 70s.

I was very lucky in the 70s to see a lot of jazz and blues figures like this before they died. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

LouieB

University in the UK in 1980-3, so there were a few of the likes of Elvs Costello and U2 doing the University circuit in those years - everyone who had broken through in the New Wave from '78 on. Suppose U2 might qualify as legends - though ever since Bono started wearing sunglasses they lost me. They came twice - first essentially a bar gig at the Student Union bar on a 'Boy' tour, second time the night 'War' went to number 1 in the UK album charts. They definitely had something right from the beginning, though they walked a fine line between charisma and twatishness.