Anyone ever see these earlier musical legends in conert?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R.E.M. in '86.

I should have seen them a year or two earlier, but I was out of town the week they played Kalamazoo. I did go and buy tickets for my brother and a bunch of his friends (because none of them were available to do so). It killed me buying tickets for that show, knowing I couldn't go, and killed me even more that the tickets were in the center of the third row.

I've seen a legend here and there, but few (if any) in their younger days. I was born in '68, so...

I've seen Bruce Springsteen twice, Paul McCartney once, Bob Dylan twice, Elvis Costello four times, and Wilco six times...

all of this and only 20 haha

don't laugh,

gary pucket and the union gap (first concert, i was a safety patrol in 6th grade, the school took us (just the safetys) on a trip to the steel pier in atlantic city i remember getting a brand new pair of bell bottoms just for the trip and i thought it was just the best and most exciting experience ever. haha)

then i think the next year or not long after i saw badfinger at the steel pier also, that was even better.

alice cooper was my first real concert. saw led zeppelin (2), david bowie, pink floyd, rolling stones, springsteen, neil young, peter gabriel a bunch of times (i used to love him) he put on an awesome show in the early 80's. bob dylan a bunch of times starting in the mid 80s, grateful dead a few times. more but can't remember at the moment.

Springsteen in the winter of '84. It was my first concert. I was ten, and went with my mom and my brother. It lasted 3+ hours, and was ridiculous. For many years, I thought all concerts were like that. I was very, very wrong.

U2 1987 Joshua Tree tour

LA Memorial Coliseum

Way the hell in the upper reaches by the stinkin' press box, on a cold, drizzly November night, with a bunch of high school girls sitting behind us screaming the whole time like it was 1958 and Elvis just walked on stage.

And it was STILL the best show I've ever seen! Yeah, Bono's kinda goofy, but when you're sitting where I was you need someone who can do the stadium-rock thing to get the people in the back into it. They ended with '40,' which they just sort of faded out while everyone sang the chorus, which we were still doing out into the parking lot. Literally. Never seen anything like it. It felt like a church service almost.

peter gabriel a bunch of times (i used to love him) he put on an awesome show in the early 80's.

i remember seeing gabriel right after his first solo record came out outdoors somewhere on the west side in NYC and it was just astoundingly great

i also remember the opening band, riff raff, who sucked but i learned years later included a very young billy bragg

Pearl Jam & Smashing Pumpkins opening for RHCP in '91.

Oh yeah, I saw that show. At the American Theater in St. Louis. Great bill.

Springsteen in the winter of '84. It was my first concert. I was ten, and went with my mom and my brother. It lasted 3+ hours, and was ridiculous. For many years, I thought all concerts were like that. I was very, very wrong.
I saw Springsteen in 76 on the Born to Run tour. A-fucking-mazing.

LouieB

I have seen quite a few "legends", but not in their prime. (example, the Beach Boys sans Brian on the boardwalk of Ocean City, MD with special guests the Fat Boys--aka The Fat Beach Boys--is an example of "not in their prime")

Here's what I want to know. Did anyone ever have the chance to see Duane Allman in any way, shape, or form? (ABB/Derek & the Dominoes/etc) Or primal-era Dead? (any lineup with Pigpen will do, really) Hendrix? The Stones when they were still The f'ing Stones, man? If so, I'd like to buy you a beer and hear about it.

I saw Prince, but is was later on -- 1996 or so.

Still, the man puts on a show like no other. Dude played every instrument on that stage -- better than the folks he was paying to play for him! And, on top of that, he dances better than anyone I've ever seen; and he does it in 4" heels!!!

Oh and I saw Ringo's All-Starr Band a couple of years back:

Ringo

Edgar Winter

Rod Argent (Argent/The Zombies)

and a couple of others I wouldn't call legends. But it was a fun show: I saw a BEATLE and, any rock fan really needs to experience Edgar Winter playing "Frankenstein" live before he dies. Seriously a f**k-all. Wow. Now, THAT is Rock!

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I knew a guy that saw Hendrix. He actually said the show was bad.. Hendrix was incredibly stoned, and the sound was terrible.. But still.. He saw Hendrix...

Why was he there to see the Monkees? :dancing

My mom won two tickets from a radio station to see the Beatles, back when they first came to the USA. It might have even been when their first album came out, I don't know the exact date. I do know it was around 1965/1966, maybe 1968 at the latest. She and a friend took a bus from VA Beach, VA to Baltimore, MD because that was where the concert was. They were 2nd row tickets. She has the ticket stubs preserved in a scrapbook.

My mom won two tickets from a radio station to see the Beatles, back when they first came to the USA. It might have even been when their first album came out, I don't know the exact date. I do know it was around 1965/1966, maybe 1968 at the latest. She and a friend took a bus from VA Beach, VA to Baltimore, MD because that was where the concert was. They were 2nd row tickets. She has the ticket stubs preserved in a scrapbook.

The Beatles performed their last concert before paying fans at Candlestick Park in San Francisco on 29 August 1966.

I think this is the only time they played in Baltimore - according to what I found online:

13 September 1964 - Civic Center, Baltimore
Yeah, the fact that he remembers the concert sounds a little fishy to me.. :lol

I saw the Monkees. They were great. Actually, it was one of the reunion tours, probably early 1990s?

Opening bands were Gary Puckett & the Union Gap and I think the Grassroots.

In an incredible coincidence, all three bands shared the same drummer, bass player and keyboard player!

I think this is the only time they played in Baltimore - according to what I found online:

that's awesome! thanks A-man for searching for the date! That was most likely the concert. That would have put my mom a few days past her 16th birthday. What a sweet 16 that must have been!

that's awesome! thanks A-man for searching for the date! That was most likely the concert. That would have put my mom a few days past her 16th birthday. What a sweet 16 that must have been!

It would have been @20 minutes of girls screaming - most likely.