New new election thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not offended by the cover. However, I'm not sure how much of this is the left losing their sense of humor. It could be the realization that this country is just stupid enough to be confused about the cover.

I'm not offended by the cover. However, I'm not sure how much of this is the left losing their sense of humor. It could be the realization that this country is just stupid enough to be confused about the cover.

I

Damn, folks on the left are losing their sense of humor.

Losing? Dude, you should come work here. My sympathies have always been leftist, but I DESPISE the dourness of many liberals around here and find myself moving rightward because they are so sancti-FUCKING-monious.

Which of that reason is all of the wrong ones?

Well, for it to work, what I said, you have to visualize it being spoken by the comedian Norm MacDonald doing his Burt Reynolds impression on SNL, the Will Ferrell fronted Jeopardy skit

I’m not going to argue that point – however, I won’t back down from my assertion that anyone who would allow a cartoon on magazine cover to unduly influence their decision in the voting booth probably would have come up with some other excuse not to vote for that particular candidate. On Election Day, I just can’t envision too many folks standing in the booth thinking, “ Hmmm, ok, well, I really want to vote for Obama, but damn, what about the cartoon on the cover of that magazine….?”

the effect, if there is one, would be subliminal, not literal. even then, the reason-challenged people who still today believe obama is a muslim and bites necks for blood in the night wouldn't be voting for him anyway; the cover would just be more confirmation for them. i can hardly believe this is a topic, but there's satire for you. sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not.

It's more like..."Hmmm, ok, the economy sucks and I don't want to vote for McCain, but damn, that one guy is a muslim, freedom hater and his wife hates whitey"..... it isn't all far from 2004 "Hmmm, ok, the economy isn't doing well and I lost my job, but damn, that lefty wants gay folks to get married"

Or "Hmmm, ok, the economy isn't doing well and I lost my job, but damn, look at that lefty queer windsailing!"

bodyb.jpg

Or "Hmmm, ok, the economy isn't doing well and I lost my job, but damn, look at that lefty queer windsailing!"

bodyb.jpg

:lol

they better keep Barrack away from parasailing/windsurfing/water skiing etc., hell, sports all together.

I think that this is July, and what happens now generally has little effect on what happens post convention. We'll all be wrapped up with the debates and the candidates' lastest gaffes to be concerned about this.

It's more like..."Hmmm, ok, the economy sucks and I don't want to vote for McCain, but damn, that one guy is a muslim, freedom hater and his wife hates whitey"..... it isn't all far from 2004 "Hmmm, ok, the economy isn't doing well and I lost my job, but damn, that lefty wants gay folks to get married"

I would be more willing to agree with you if same sex marriage played that large a role in Bush

Whoops, not true. It premiered two weeks later, according to Wikipedia.

:lol aren't you supposed to be in school?

Sure, there's the risk of a fence sitter being subliminally swayed, but I'd argue there's also the possibility that people will become more informed about this issue as a result of all the controversey.

didn't they have a whole seinfeld episode about people not getting the cartoons in the new yorker? whatever. it's perfectly fine satire, it just missed the mark on the objective if said objective was to point out the misconceptions about obama to a large amount of people.

even if someone doesn't look at it and think obama is a terrorist, (like my wife) they may think that the new yorker is unfairly trying to paint him as one...still making it uneffective.

even if someone doesn't look at it and think obama is a terrorist, (like my wife) they may think that the new yorker is unfairly trying to paint him as one...still making it uneffective.

Your wife is a terrorist? Black Panther? Weatherman?

I wish I could go back in time and change my high school yearbook picture to this:

hearst_p_tania.jpg

They kicked him out for being an extremist.

:lol :lol :lol

Two good pieces about Obama: One by conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer. His style usually rubs me the wrong way, even when I agree with him. I liked this column and agree that Obama has an overly healthy sense of self. I don't think, however, that it's an argument against his potential presidency. This other one from the Onion is a pretty good take on the media's love affair with BO.