Atheist soldier sues Army for 'unconstitutional' discrimination

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules
The evangelical commander in chief is happy to send people on suicide missions that will take out large numbers of civilians. It's pretty much our middle east policy.

wow

Well shit, had I known this whole Iraq thing was a Crusade, I'd have been all over joining up.

I must have missed the Pope's proclimation.

Well sure, it's different because we are the U.S. and that everything we do is good.

yes. that's exactly what i said.

jnick, what jude said...are we god's army on a crusade to convert those who don't believe or are we there for absolutely no other reason than oil?

jnick, what jude said...are we god's army on a crusade to convert those who don't believe or are we there for absolutely no other reason than oil?

Go back and read what I wrote - I

Guest Jules
Go back and read what I wrote - I'm not claiming our military has been transformed into a bunch of Christian soldiers, but there are elements within the military who would like to move in that direction. Are we there yet, no
Well, Bush did say that the War Againt Terrorism is a "crusade", and later said that the War on Terrorism (of which Bush claims the war in Iraq to be a part of) is part of a "Third Awakening" of Christianity in the United States.

I'd be interested to read a response to this post from the folks who dismissed MrRain's earlier post as hyperbolic. It may be a matter of degrees, but fewer degrees than most would admit, and everything is a matter of degrees.

but...

God told Bush, the Vicar of Christ on earth to invade Iraq and take the pagans oil.

Pretty easy to see. IMO.

I'd be interested to read a response to this post from the folks who dismissed MrRain's earlier post as hyperbolic. It may be a matter of degrees, but fewer degrees than most would admit, and everything is a matter of degrees.

As far as the "crusade" comment goes, that word has taken on a non-religious connotation over the years, and though it was an extremely poor choice of words, I don't believe he meant it in the sense the post would attach to it. It is an example of Bush not thinking before speaking, not of him hating Muslims.

As far as the second link, the article itself says "religious devotion," not "Christian zeal".

I agree it's a matter of degrees. Also, it's easy for us to say to what degree this war is religiously motivated. I think it's more important to convince the "hearts & minds" of terrorist fucks that it's not. Some of the things Bush has said relatiing this war to religion appear purposefully procovative and ill-advised.

I don't think it's religiously motivated... Muslim nations just happen to be sitting on the oil we want and need. The neocon core as a matter of principle are generally disdainful of religious belief, but they find the American religious right a convenient core of support.