Atheist soldier sues Army for 'unconstitutional' discrimination

The Knights Templar, one of the major forces in the Crusades, were alleged to not be as pious as one would think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet

My other point is that for us, Iraq is about oil, but for many Muslims, it's about religion, specifically a resumption of the Crusades that started with Zionism.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You think the two are mutually exclusive?

good god no...i was merely commenting on how i found it funny that in one thread our military actions are unequivocably 100% ('don't kid yourself!') all about oil (which i actually agree is the biggest reason for our presence there) and then in another thread they are based on a religious agenda. that said, i really do like the concept melding the two into a holy army of mindless pawns being duped/controlled by an sinister 'upper 10%' illuminati comprised of old dudes that probably look and act exactly like lex luthor in a quest for oil. somebody call stan lee!

i agree w/ matt, there is a huge amount of grey here...however, to be fair, a lot of the statements comparing the us military to al qaeda are falling way outside said grey area. 'suicide missions that will take out large numbers of civilians' completely removes any shade of intent for the safety/survival of our soldiers and as few civilian casualties as possible. the level of disregard between one and the other makes the comparison extremely weak...and, much like the brouhaha last week w/ the hitler comparisons, the hyperbole adds a potential level of ire that can, IMO, shut down any level of intelligent debate and replace it w/ a fight instead.

that's what i personally find makes it reckless or, at least, irresponsible...no shread of any intention of 'worthy and honest debate'. most of these threads seem to be about a place of commiseration than a hopefulness of dialogue or for people who enjoy arguing (present company included).

good god no...i was merely commenting on how i found it funny that in one thread our military actions are unequivocably 100% ('don't kid yourself!') all about oil (which i actually agree is the biggest reason for our presence there) and then in another thread they are based on a religious agenda. that said, i really do like the concept melding the two into a holy army of mindless pawns being duped/controlled by an sinister 'upper 10%' illuminati comprised of old dudes that probably look and act exactly like lex luthor in a quest for oil. somebody call stan lee!

i agree w/ matt, there is a huge amount of grey here...however, to be fair, a lot of the statements comparing the us military to al qaeda are falling way outside said grey area. 'suicide missions that will take out large numbers of civilians' completely removes any shade of intent for the safety/survival of our soldiers and as few civilian casualties as possible. the level of disregard between one and the other makes the comparison extremely weak...and, much like the brouhaha last week w/ the hitler comparisons, the hyperbole adds a potential level of ire that can, IMO, shut down any level of intelligent debate and replace it w/ a fight instead.

that's what i personally find makes it reckless or, at least, irresponsible...no shread of any intention of 'worthy and honest debate'. most of these threads seem to be about a place of commiseration than a hopefulness of dialogue or for people who enjoy arguing (present company included).

Caliber,

Could you break this down to plain speakin' for an under-educated neocon?

Thanks,

JUDE

Caliber,

Could you break this down to plain speakin' for an under-educated neocon?

Thanks,

JUDE

Paragraph 1: jnickerson says on the one hand, the war is 100% about oil, then on the other, that it is also about religion. There cannot be more than 100%. That's science.

Paragraph 2: MrRain's assessment of Bush's motivations is inaccurate and leaves no room for intelligent debate.

Paragraph 3: JUDE smells like dysentery.

Paragraph 1: jnickerson says on the one hand, the war is 100% about oil, then on the other, that it is also about religion. There cannot be more than 100%. That's science.

Paragraph 2: MrRain's assessment of Bush's motivations is inaccurate and leaves no room for intelligent debate.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Guest Cousin Tupelo

Then the answer, of course is to be pre-emptively reckless and over the top so you can obfuscate anyone's point with attacks and banter and double-talk because that is truly the way we'll have a hopeful dialogue.

You are *so* altruistic. :worship

Guest Cousin Tupelo

What if one worships oil? ....

That

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I was merely distilling that other guy's argument.

Let me know when it's distilled enough to drink. Will it mix with Kool-aid?

What if one worships oil? ....

in the words of peak oil theorist, Mathew Savinar, we all do. don't let anybody tell you different.

as far as the whole altruistic obfuscating banter and double-talk thing...no, i will not make out with you.

No, by clearly stating what he said. Take it up with El Famous.

Easy for you to say hiding behind that alias, something about having enough sack...

P.S. thanks for that clarification earlier.

P.P.S. What does 'altruistic' mean?

Guest Cousin Tupelo
in the words of peak oil theorist, Mathew Savinar, we all do. don't let anybody tell you different.

as far as the whole altruistic obfuscating banter and double-talk thing...no, i will not make out with you.

... especially if you smell like JUDE.

Act 1: topic of thread.

Act 2: thread veers off course to discuss Hitler/Bush/God/Skygod

Act 3: reasonable efforts at maintaining level headed discourse

Act 4: reasonable efforts crash and burn

Act 5: thread veers off course to discuss naked women/irrelevant posts/general snarkiness

Act 6: thread dies or GoTo Act 3 and repeat.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Act 1: topic of thread.

Act 2: thread veers off course to discuss Hitler/Bush/God/Skygod

Act 3: reasonable efforts at maintaining level headed discourse

Act 4: reasonable efforts crash and burn

Act 5: thread veers off course to discuss naked women/irrelevant posts/general snarkiness

Act 6: thread dies or GoTo Act 3 and repeat.

This reads like the House Docket from the Federal Register