I just heard a copy of The Walkmen's new record You & Me and boy oh boy is it great. I really recommend it once it is released on August 19th. It's kind of dark and moody but it still sounds like The Walkmen.

I enjoyed the last Walkmen Cd

Another One Goes By, Lost in Boston and Louisana are some of my favorite tracks by them! Can't wait for the new album! :dancing

those are about all i enjoyed off the last one. it was by far their weakest.

i still prefer the vibe/sound of the first one more than anything honestly, but they've definitely progressed quite a bit.

I was fortunate to catch the Walkmen when they toured behind their first album. I saw them open for Firewater in May 2001? They were a total different band back then. I also saw them maybe 3 times on the Bow's and Arrows tour which was awesome. I saw them at the Kintting Factory (holds only 200!) the night they did 3 shows I row when they previewed that album. I don't know how he screams like that night after night. :dancing

I was fortunate to catch the Walkmen when they toured behind their first album. I saw them open for Firewater in May 2001? They were a total different band back then. I also saw them maybe 3 times on the Bow's and Arrows tour which was awesome. I saw them at the Kintting Factory (holds only 200!) the night they did 3 shows I row when they previewed that album. I don't know how he screams like that night after night. :dancing

saw them on that tour w/ Firewater as well (who are amazing too btw)

and yeah, Hamilton's scream hurts my throat :lol

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't really check up on A Hundred Miles Off (wikipedia, reviews, other's opinions) like I normally do when I really really get into an album so I was surprised by the general feeling I ran into when I did so a couple of weeks ago. I don't know why so many people rag on A Hundred Miles Off. That's the album I listen to the most (at least before the new one came out). Sure there are a few songs I skip with some regularity (namely This Job Is Killing Me, Brandy Alexander), but disregarding these two songs I think the rest of it is KILLER. Danny's At the Wedding, Lost in Boston, and All Hands and the Cook are just so... awesome for lack of a better word.

http://amiestreet.com/artist/the-walkmen/

The Walkmen just released their highly anticipated new album exclusively on AmieStreet.com. You & Me will be sold at the special price of $5. For each album purchased AmieStreet.com will donate $5 to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

Just did this. Nice thing they are doing. So far thought the album doesn't grab me like A Hundred Miles Off did. I like Four Provinces though...need to listen to it again!

http://amiestreet.com/artist/the-walkmen/

The Walkmen just released their highly anticipated new album exclusively on AmieStreet.com. You & Me will be sold at the special price of $5. For each album purchased AmieStreet.com will donate $5 to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

if you've got a leaked version, toss it and fork out $5 for a good cause... it's worth it...

Which last one? Pussy Cats or A Hundred Miles Off?

Hundred Miles Off

just found that one meandering and dull. not a fan of that whole calypso vibe.

White Rabbits do that way better than the Walkmen.

this new one is definitely growing on me, but i just wish it had a rocker or two to pick up the pace on occasion. no real standout hooks for me, just a lilting vibe throughout. it's kinda like what Boxer would be like without Mistaken For Strangers, Brainy, and Squalor Victoria.

• 1 month later...

i liked In the New Year from the video i saw on Pitchfork and saw the pretty much unanimous positive reviews, so i picked up the record.

they also did Juan's Basement for pitchfork.tv and sonically In the New Year sounds just like the record - i actually wonder if they're not using the same mics and setup as when the recorded the album version.

i haven't got to listen to You and Me enough to judge yet.

one thing i have noticed - sonically all the songs are very similiar as if they set up the recording studio one way and kept that for every track.

this was the first stuff of there's i've heard.

at times his voice reminds me of nasally Blonde Dylan and the Strokes' singer.

The Walkmen opened for Spoon earlier this year @ The Vic..........I wasn't impressed. :hmm

Something about the lead singer going to the well a little too often on the scream (if that's what it's called). First couple of songs were great, but then they all started sounding the same. Until now, I hadn't given this band a second thought, but by the looks of the posts here, maybe I should give them another listen.

The Walkmen opened for Spoon earlier this year @ The Vic..........I wasn't impressed. :hmm

Something about the lead singer going to the well a little too often on the scream (if that's what it's called). First couple of songs were great, but then they all started sounding the same. Until now, I hadn't given this band a second thought, but by the looks of the posts here, maybe I should give them another listen.

Couldn't agree more. I nearly walked out on their show at the 9:30 club in D.C....and I think "Another One Goes By" is a great song. It's a cover of the band Mazarin, though isn't it? However, I trust the ears here and I'll give the new one an open-minded listen. :)