MLB 2008 Part 3, Take 2

What is factually incorrect about it? Better teams miss the playoffs all of the time, and it is happening right now.

There's no point in saying it, though.

He said it is bad system, right? That reminds me of the Churchill quote, "Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is factually incorrect about it? Better teams miss the playoffs all of the time, and it is happening right now.

It's his opinion that the Yankees are better than the Dodgers.

His entire judgment of a team's quality is its won-loss record. The Yankees play in the American League, the Dodgers in the National League. They do not play the same competition. He's comparing records of teams that don't play the same opponents, so like it or not, it's apples and oranges. It is his subjective opinion that the Yankees are better than the Dodgers. It can be fairly argued that this is true, but it cannot be established as a incontrovertible fact.

Ergo, he is factually incorrect.

It is a fact that the Yankees are a better team than the Dodgers?

No.

I was saying more that his statement that good teams often miss the playoffs while bad or mediocre teams sneak in is factually true. Whether this applies to the Yankees and Dodgers is opinion, though I would argue it is true.

In case you missed it the first time:

I have an idea! Why doesn't MLB employ a system that combines the opinions of sportswriters, the League's managers, computer rankings, records and strength of schedule to determine the two best teams at the end of the regular season. Those two teams then compete in the WS. Who could possibly have a problem with that!?!

Steinbrenner should shut his pie hole. The playoff system we have now was put in place by ownership to maximize profit. There is no perfect system and his opinion that "it isn't fair" is his opinion -- which he entitled to -- but you can't say it is "factually correct" unless you can produce a system that IS fair to everyone. If we go back to the pre-'70 system, you could argue, perhaps, that the Angles and Ray are better than the Cubs, but the WS would be Cubs/Angels.

I was saying more that his statement that good teams often miss the playoffs while bad or mediocre teams sneak in is factually true.

But this is not what Steinbrenner said. He never called the Dodgers or any other playoff team "bad" or "mediocre." He merely referenced the difference in records between the Yankees and Dodgers.

Hank Steinbrenner is perhaps the ugliest man ever seen regularly on TV. He really needs an iron mask treatment.

Hey Beltmann -- may the best team win the wildcard. I take comfort knowing that if (when?) the Mets blow it again this year, that (hopefully) will mean Milwaukee gets some playoff baseball for the first time in a lonnnng time.

Here's to a crazy 5 days of baseball. :cheers

Phils look pretty safe. Will have at least 1-game lead over Mets (div) and Milwaukee (wild) heading into final weekend. Play Washington, worst team in NL, at home - should be no prob. Brews have 1 game left vs. Bucs (good) and 3 vs. Cubs (not so much, but again the Cubs didn't look real interested tonight). Mets have another vs. Cubs (ugh, after tonight) and 3 at home vs. Fla. the team that killed 'em at Shea last season.

I've been pulling for the Mets to make it, just so Shea and not Yankee Stadium would get the Oct. love, but it's looking like Cubs-Dodgers and Phils-Brewers.

Also, do the ChiSox have a makeup vs. Tigers they might need to play?

I am all out of angry things to say about the Mets. They just don't have it. A lot of talent on that team, but very little grit.

Well, we were mathematically eliminated yesterday. Can't say I'm not dissapointed, though if we make some smart moves this offseason this team could take the division next year. We have the pitching now, and if our offense can avoid slumps (which would mean ridding ourselves of Jacobs, Uggla, and maybe Cantu which would also improve defense) we'll be a 90+ win team.

I'm still kicking myself over not putting any money on the marlins at +-68.5. That was easy money.

Speaking of new stadiums, there was a piece on ESPN last Sunday about how the mostly city/people-subsidized new Yankee Stadium is an unfair shake in many ways towards the people of NY and the denizens of the immediate area, let alone a sham in terms of how the money/loans were aquired and expected to be paid back. I think there is an investigation going on.

Anybody else see this/shed light on it? I didn't catch the whole piece.

Speaking of new stadiums, there was a piece on ESPN last Sunday about how the mostly city/people-subsidized new Yankee Stadium is an unfair shake in many ways towards the people of NY and the denizens of the immediate area, let alone a sham in terms of how the money/loans were aquired and expected to be paid back. I think there is an investigation going on.

Anybody else see this/shed light on it? I didn't catch the whole piece.

I did not see the article you're referencing, but I think this has been a problem for quite a while. The reason the Yankees were able to get so much taxpayer money is because so many other teams have gotten tax money for their stadiums in the last 10-15 years. It's become standard, even though in every single instance, it doesn't benefit the city in the way that was promised -- the only one really benefiting is team ownership.

In terms of taxpayer-funded parks, I think Baltimore was one instance that actually worked out pretty well for the city, mostly because it was part of a larger effort to revitalize an area of town. That stadium became the blueprint (sometimes literally) for a lot of the stadiums that followed, but I don't know how well most of them worked out for their neighborhoods on the whole. I don't know that dropping a new stadium anywhere will, by itself, necessarily work wonders for its surrounding area unless it is part of larger effort.