Jenny Lewis - New album & Tour

This is weird. I went searching for info about the next Boy Least Likely To album, as I thought they were putting something out this summer. Anyhoo... I went to the TBLLT blog and found an entry about the new Jenny Lewis that pretty much sums up my feelings on a lot of subjects... like the new album, the last album, and even Bright Eyes:

i picked up the new j-lew album this week. by which i mean i went to the shops and bought a copy of the new album by jenny lewis on monday, just in case anyone wasn't familiar with her j-lo and li-lo style nickname.

i've given the album three or four listens, and i quite like it. i absolutely loved the first album, i think it was my second favourite of the year when it came out, but i haven't warmed to this new one as quickly. the production is a lot more grand, but it feels a little bit cold. it sounds more like a rilo kiley record. and i guess i liked rabbit fur coat because it didn't. not that i don't like rilo kiley, i do. but j-lew seemed more comfortable and natural doing country, and it seemed to suit the personal nature of the songs. my favourite song on acid tongue is the title track, probably because it could have fitted quite happily on rabbit fur coat. maybe it's something to do with the lyrical themes of this record, j-lew doesn't seem to cast herself in these new songs as much as she did in rabbit fur coat. it kind of reminds me of 'cassadaga' by bright eyes in that way, and also because the production seems a little bit more classic and refined. and weirdly, it was the album before 'cassadaga', 'i'm wide awake it's morning', when bright eyes seemed to have finally found a comfortable place for his songs and his subjects too. and then it was only really 'lime tree' off 'cassadaga' that carried it on. maybe i just want everything to stay the same and nothing to ever change or move on, and maybe it just didn't move in the direction i wanted it to, and it isn't up to me which direction someone takes their songs. but i wish acid tongue was more like rabbit fur coat, because i was so excited about it coming out. saying all that, i love 'carpetbaggers' and 'see fernando' off the new j-lew album. i just wish it was full of songs like that. perhaps i'll make it into a little ep on my ipod.

and perhaps it should be spelt j-loo not j-lew just because it looks nicer, but i suppose she would have to spell her name jenny loowis for that to make sense.

I'm not kidding, I could've totally written that. Perhaps that makes me The Girl Least Likely To...

And I'm now even more in love with The Boy Least Likely To... :wub

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think this album is really really bad? Like no where close to Rabbit Fur Coat, "The Next Messiah" is easily the best tune on the album but "See Fernando" is embarrassingly bad.

The album is good, bordering on great. RFC is better, no doubt IMO. However, the title track is [more] easily the best tune on the album, and 'Fernando' is just plain fun.

I saw Jenny last night in New Haven. She sounded fantastic, but my experience was ruined by the obnoxious, stinking, drunk asshole sitting next to me and his 3 obnoxious, stinking, drunk asshole friends. And Jenny only played for about an hour and ten minutes, which kind of sucked. I think I would have been more bummed about that if I didn't want to get away from my next seat neighbor so badly. She pretty much split the set half and half between Rabbit Fur Coat and Acid Tongue. "Fernando" was the closer and it rocked. It was a good show, but in comparison to the other time I saw her, which was in New York at an old church performing RFC with The Watson Twins, Jim James, M. Ward, and Conor Oberst, it just wasn't the same. That was a "total package experience", this was just a good show.

I was thinking the other day that I bet this song could be a minor country hit if they made a cheesy video and put it on CMT.

I definitely like this song better with the arrangement on the album vs. the way she played it live a couple years ago. I kinda despised it back then.

I must say the new one isn't grabbing me at all. Not like RFC did anyway. Hoping that maybe more plays will sink it in for me.

I guess that's the beauty of music. Acid Tongue grabbed me immediately and I wasn't really looking for it to do so. I approached it more as an obligation because many folks here were raving about it. It has quickly become one of my favorite albums of the year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...