I've been to quite a few Wilco shows and I must say that this was an altogether excellent show in my opinion. I went to the Residency while my fiance was unable to and feel like this was a good consolidation of those shows (discounting the fact that there was nothing off of AM) for her. The Total Pros really added to the Residency and I was glad that they were present in Brooklyn; they really add something special to the live performance. Nels was right on with so many of his licks as was Tweedy. Jeff's voice was in excellent form. Pat and Mikael's flourishes were integral and illuminating to the material. And naturally, as always, undisputedly Glenn rocked. As far as outdoor venues goes I feel that McCarren Pool is one of the best sounding I have ever been to. That being said I don't want to be attacked by those who are going to compare it to fine indoor sound systems. I think you have to recognize that the sound at an outdoor venue is never going to be as good as a small theater. I feel that of all the outdoor venues that New York has to offer the Pool is definitely the best. I have seen a ton of shows there and have always been satisfied with the sound where as quite a few other outdoor venues not so much. That being said this is the first time I've seen Wilco play outdoors and I think they really played to the outdoor venues limitations. And in doing so they put on a terrific and memorable show (the weather also played a tremendous role in making this such a great night plus the timing of sunset and the cloudy misty murky moon). I will really miss shows at this great venue and feel really lucy to have seen my favorite band there.

I must add that while I really enjoy McCarren I will admit that there are plenty of downsides. The free afternoon shows are often full of people who don't care about the music. The afternoon shows are also often brutally hot with not a speck of shade to be found. The beer situation generally sucks at pay shows (not as much at the free shows I guess because the free shows draw all the cheap ass people that don't want to shell out $5 to $6 for a beer). In fact it's sad to say that the beer situation was so bad last night that I didn't even bother to get one (and me likes me some good beer while listening to some great tunes, particularly Brooklyn Brewery beer). Budweiser has been sponsoring some shows and have done a slightly better job but not by much plus the selection was kind of crappy. And of course it would be nice to be standing on some grass with some trees around.

But with all that being said I will sorely miss this great sounding venue where you can pretty much see from any spot in the pool where plenty of excellent bands have played, many of which were free. I am happy to say that I'm going to see Sonic Youth there for the (supposedly) final concert in the Pool.

we came from barcelona, spain to see that show. It was really amazing to see wilco in usa... with many songs they usually doesnt' play in europe and long encores.

it was a pleasure to meet paul, ben, emely, toni... everybody.

here there is one of the photos i took it. I will post more in the next days....

DSC_0139.jpg

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Nice pics, Flick! I especially like the one of Nels.

thanks! my husband took most of the pictures and he is very proud of the one of Nels.