Walken (total pros)

I'm the man who loves you (total pros)

Heavy metal drummer

Late greats (total pros)

Kingpin (total pros)

Monday (total pros)

Outtasite (total pros)

I'm a wheel

yeah no One Wing????? I was super pumped to hear that one...

very pleased to hear jeff say "we'll see you when we finish our record." my mouth is watering already.

also, the crowd full of lame, dime-a-dozen greenpoint hipsters was certainly forgettable.

so while i am sitting, doing some work here (australia) on thursday ... i keep getting interrupted by text messages from my older brother ho is at the show. he says that its going off!!!

here are some of the songs that he's said they played (on their encores right now) - these arent in any order or complete at all.

shot in the arm

misunderstood

california stars

impossible germany

hsd

poor places (he realllllly wanted to hear that one)

spiders

jesus etc.

side with the seeds

he also said jeff called the nyc audience 'adorable'

Any comments as to how the show was last night? Any surprises?

a fantastic show and a bizarre experience for me.

it was pretty funny when Jeff said "Summerteeth, makes me feel fine..."

I thought it was funny anyway.

Incidentally, Jeff thanked the Total Pros after Outtasite and said it was their last night with the band (this time around). So it doesn't look like they'll be heading out west... :(

I think they definitely add a lot to some of the songs, especially like Walken and I'm The Man Who Loves You, that have been played a lot. And they enable the band to do rarer stuff like Pieholden Suite, Blood of the Lamb, Can't Stand It, etc. Plus, it seemed like the TPs were continuing to work out arrangements for different songs as the tour went on, like with Kingpin and California Stars (the latter of which they didn't play on during the Residency). So it's too bad that they won't be playing more shows with Wilco for awhile because it would have been interesting to see what else might have developed.

The tradeoff with having the TPs on tour, I think, is that the setlists become a little more predictable from night to night because the band naturally wanted to take full advantage of having the Total Pros out there and doing the songs where they really stand out. So it's a good thing for some songs that people might want to hear and bad for some others (I guess like those on A.M., although they did sound check Should've Been In Love yesterday).

A few other notes from last night:

*Jeff introduced Pieholden as being from the album Summerteeth and then proceeded to sing the first line of Seals and Crofts' "Summer Breeze," substituting Summerteeth for Summer Breeze of course. "Summerteeth makes me feel fine..." That was pretty funny. :lol

*Glenn didn't have the gongs from Tanglewood for I'm The Man Who Loves You and Jeff said he missed them and could Glenn do something...gong-like. He tried his best, but ultimately settled for getting up on his stool and doing his Todd Trainer tribute. I think Jeff played an extra riff or two just to torture Glenn a bit.

*This was a first: During Spiders, the crowd somehow changed the beat to the clap. Instead of just being on the 2s and 4s, it became two short claps and a long one. Not sure if that makes any sense, but it definitely weird. I thought it actually kind of worked, but Jeff called it out when he came back out for the encore, saying that they had played that song all over the world and that was the first time any crowd had actually changed the beat. He attributed that to the crowd being free thinkers -- "Like my dad said of Bob Dylan, I don't know what he's smoking, but he's a free thinker." -- and jokingly encouraged people to change the lyrics to the next song (Jesus, etc.) if they wanted.

*After Heavy Metal Drummer, Jeff made a comment to the effect that their guitar tech Matrix has "heard that song we just played (hundreds) of times, and he said we never played it that well. Actually I think Matrix said, 'I cant wait to get out of here.' Just kidding. He said it was magnificent." Maybe you sort of had to be there for that one. :pirate

*I'm sure there were probably a ton of people there who were just hanging out and getting blitzed and whatever, but the crowd up front seemed generally pretty good and respectful, at least around me.

*Spotted Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon afterward. I also saw them at a Flight of the Conchords show earlier this year, so I have to give them some credit for their musical taste! :thumbup

amazing! i pretty much could have died happy after poor places > spiders, and that was before both of the encores! i thought the crowd was fine, and really enjoyed the venue and having space to dance and whatnot. Also, there is a lot to be said for seeing a show basically in your backyard, and being able to stumble four blocks home afterwards.

It was also nice to see Jess and Paul there (and Susan and Tim :cheers ). I got to meet Glenn, Mikael, and Nels at the after party, and they are just really super nice guys.

The show was awesome.

One particular highlight was during Spiders when the crowd, reportedly for the first time ever, changed the clapping beat from 1 2, to 1 and, 2, 1 and 2. (sorry for this super rough notation of rhythm)

Poor places was a highlight as was Kingpin, which I think stole the show: "Living in... brooklyn."

The crowd seemed respectful up front where I was. Although the place was huge and I would definitely not get caught all the way in the back.

He wore it in Charleston and Cary, too. At least, it looked green from my seats.

And Lawrence and StL last year. And Pat wears that blue vest combo every night. They should pay Pat a few more clams so he can buys some new clothes. I think Jeff is too lazy to buy clothes.

What song did Nels pull the banjo out for?

I visit that page oftent and the majority of the posters are annoying frat boy hipsters! :stunned Great content on the page though.

Yeah like this one below (ummm, don't go to a show if you tired of a band, maybe?)

In general, the crowd was pretty tame aside from a select handful in the front. I'm included in the tame category and feel that Tweedy should learn to chill and not chastise the audiences that don't go apeshit over a Wilco set. I say this because I've seen ten times now after tonight and I am honestly Wilco-ed out (for now). They are great and are one of my favorites, but they're not that riveting on repeated shows (sorry to all the diehards on that one). They're sets are great or decent until the encore(s) where they're always the same upbeat numbers (see entire encore 2 above). So we New Yorkers and faithful Wilco fans that get to see them a good deal more than say other towns/cities thus become more accustomed to these routine sets and songs. I find "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" a very annoying song. It's too long and monotonous so towards the end of it, the last thing I want to do is clap along and participate. I love them, I do, but they should really mix up their sets more. We're not in Tanglewood, we're free-thinkers as you've tagged us Tweedy so make a setlist more accomodating to us won't ya...

edit: there are like 12,000 comments on that thing and such a fight it is.

What song did Nels pull the banjo out for?

He plays the banjo on Pieholden Suite (or Pieholden Sweet, as I saw it referred to on someone's blog today...I hope that was an intentional misspelling :ninja).