I don't know how many of you have gone through this...

oh the nostalgia. the first time my parents dropped me off, and they were sad, i spent a lot of time sitting in a dry abandoned bathtub in the dorm's spooky old basement, writing bad poetry. lasted there just two months. the next time my parents dropped me off, the next year at another college, they couldn't wait to get rid of me. that second school was perfect, a whole new scruffy great world. in fact, it's pretty close to where bjorn survives, i believe.

good luck, crow daddy, and be glad if she does well enough and has enough good times that she doesn't end up back home in the near future.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 28, 500 students here you can have.

And they say the unexamined life is not worth living...

I'd never been outside of California until my mom and I took a trip all the way across the country to look at the college that I ended up attending. And then a year later, she and my younger sister flew back with me and stayed for a few days while I moved in. All three of us still have very sharp memories of the moment that the cab pulled away from the main building on campus, and they waved out of the back window like on the credits of Leave It to Beaver, while we all sobbed.

I was an insanely shy kid, from a very close family, and I still don't know what made me think it was a good idea to go so far away. But dorm living was good for me, and 20+ years later, I'm still friends with a bunch of the people who lived on my floor freshman year.

She'll have a great time, and it's a great way for kids to get a chance to grow up and take a little bit of responsibility for their lives, while still being in a semi-controlled environment.

She'll be just fine. I'm 6 years older than my younger sister. It was crazy to be recently graduated from college and coming home at the same time she was going out. I was right in the middle of recapping my whole college experience. All the good and bad -- a lot of both. It was odd to see someone -- especially a loved one -- going right into what I had just come out of. Kind of like, "wow, I guess I survived it..."

Seriously, your daughter will be great. She'll listen to music, see places and learn things that will make her an even more awesome person for the rest of her life.

:brow

I was thinking Bard, but I could be wrong. There is also now-closed Bennett College in Millbrook and Marist.

If trash was worth money, we would all be rich here.

Trash.

Hmmm...

Are we talking

trash.jpg

or

White%20Trash%20Survival%20Kit-772407.JPG

If trash was worth money, we would all be rich here.

some trash is great to use in artwork. of course, i'm not rich either.

I was thinking Bard, but I could be wrong. There is also now-closed Bennett College in Millbrook and Marist.

bard. good guess (you mean i don't sound like vassar material? :yawn ). and i need to correct something from the earlier post: only one parent dropped me off at bard. my mother refused to set foot on that campus because of too many long-haired and barefoot students for her taste. that was then, of course.

fast food waste

yuck. unless it's been run over by thousands of cars in a parking lot for several months; that might have potential.

I'll mail it to you - I'll even throw in some burned couches, and used underwear.

aw, never mind. i don't want you to go to all that trouble.

bard. good guess (you mean i don't sound like vassar material? :yawn ). and i need to correct something from the earlier post: only one parent dropped me off at bard. my mother refused to set foot on that campus because of too many long-haired and barefoot students for her taste. that was then, of course.

Mildly psychic, I am, I think sometimes. Maybe, I predict.

Mildly psychic, I am, I think sometimes. Maybe, I predict.

with that kind of confidence, you will go far in the psychic field.

with that kind of confidence, you will go far in the psychic field.

This may be why I ended up as a newspaper editor.

This may be why I ended up as a newspaper editor.

i'm sure it's never too late to go to psychic school.

but personally i'd prefer the newspaper editor job. say, is the p. journal still the main paper around there?

i'm sure it's never too late to go to psychic school.

but personally i'd prefer the newspaper editor job. say, is the p. journal still the main paper around there?

Yes, but it is a piece of shit. Detestable. Humorless. Nannying. An example of everything that is lame about modern journalism. I cannot wait to dance a jig on its grave.

Yes, but it is a piece of shit. Detestable. Humorless. Nannying. An example of everything that is lame about modern journalism. I cannot wait to dance a jig on its grave.

so it's like most newspapers, not to mention mainstream news shows! that's a pity. i hope you got lucky with where you landed your job.