I don't know how many of you have gone through this...

I dropped of my daughter, my oldest child (Magic K) at Texas A&M yesterday. Actually, Downtown, D-man and I move her stuff into her dorm room.

It is certainly a gutcheck taking the first squid off to college. I am feeling sad, nostalgic, excited and proud.

She is very excited and seems more motivated and happy than she has been in a year or so. She had a tough time her senior year in high school. But everything has fallen into place for her perfectly from getting into school (rather easily), getting into a new student mentoring program, getting into her first choice for her dorm, getting into the parking garage right across from her dorm, getting a room mate the she really gets along with...

So Crow Daddy is having the proverbial mixed emotions today.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This frat at the school I went to put up a banner the day when folks drop their kids off:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR DAUGHTERS

:no I would put my daughter back in the car and turn around.

I don't know the feeling, YET, C-Daddy but I wish you luck!

And those frat guys sound like real jack asses. I'm no fan of frats, but most are harmless.

I can say that at FIU at least, the Pikes are the ones to tell your daughter to steer clear of, and that seems to hold true for almost every college in Florida. They seem to get in trouble for stuff every year.

And those frat guys sound like real jack asses. I'm no fan of frats, but most are harmless.

I can say that at FIU at least, the Pikes are the ones to tell your daughter to steer clear of, and that seems to hold true for almost every college in Florida. They seem to get in trouble for stuff every year.

I almost pledged the Pikes up north. That is apparently a national reputation ...

that holds true outside of florida...i think the chapter at my alma matter is on social probation every year and have come close to having thier charter revoked just as many times.

a bunch of my college friends who have just recently had kids were talking about the whole dropping kids of at college thing the other day...much different outlook on the dads of girls than guys. :lol i think i'll still be a little emotional even with the boys...that is if logan doesn't end up living on our couch until he's 45.

I have weapons and I know some very shady people.

What does it say that my parents didn't drop me off at school, and never, in the two years I lived in the dorms, see the inside of my room?

I'm pretty sure the PIKEs at UF were disbanded. Somethign about basements, frozen hot dogs, buttholes, and someone hanging themself.

Somethign about basements, frozen hot dogs, buttholes, and someone hanging themself.

yikes. it's bullshit like that makes me understand why people hate fraternities so much when the reality is, most of us ain't like that. the nagain, mine was founded on the principle of no hazing so theres that.

In high school, i had 5 friends who I basically hung out with every single day, and 3 of them went on to join frats. 2 of them were definitely hazed and aren't allowed to talk about it to me, which I think is kind of fucking stupid, but hey whatever. The other one wasn't hazed, and he's the only one who isn't crazy fanatical about it.

I've heard some horror stories about hazing, and I just don't get it. Friends don't do that to each other.

(Undeclared handled this topic pretty well. Very good 2 episode bit)

I almost pledged the Pikes up north. That is apparently a national reputation ...

at my school Pikes were dicks. TKEs were geeks, and Delta Sigs had all the money (and their own private mansion off campus). It is interesting reading sentiments of parents dropping their children off at college. i moved away for college and drove myself there, no accompanying parent. talk about a terrifying day. kudos to the supportive parents.

and i second bobbob, a kid with a good head on their shoulders will do fine.

college is great!

I've heard some horror stories about hazing, and I just don't get it. Friends don't do that to each other.

agreed. i'll just add that it's a two-way street though...why would you as an individual allow yourself to be subjected to that? there are options to join similar organizations on most campuses that will still allow you to slip rufies in girls drinks and play intramural football while stoned.

Best moment of moving in:

Accidentally slamming the front door of the building in my roommate's face. He hit it pretty hard.

agreed. i'll just add that it's a two-way street though...why would you as an individual allow yourself to be subjected to that? there are options to join similar organizations on most campuses that will still allow you to slip rufies in girls drinks and play intramural football while stoned.

Oh, for sure. I don't have sympathy for the people that allow them to be subjected to it. If you are that desperate for acceptance, you probably don't deserve to have good friends anyways.

my moving into college story:

after getting our room assignments and trading several calls w/ my soon-to-be roomie, deadhead pat, to go over who'd be bringing what...the last time i talked to him before move in day, he asked if i could be out of the room when he moved in the day after me. like, make myself scarce. when i asked why, he told me he'd have to fill me in later.

so, i move my stuff in on freshman move-in day and make myself scarce the next day for a few hours around the time he said he'd be getting there. turns out, he left EIU after his first semester to go into AA. he told his folks that the housing arranged for him to be given a roomate who was also in the program as well.

his folks might have fallen for it had i not already plastered my wall w/ posters of motley crue, metallica and surgically-altered nearly-nude girls practically bathing in beer/other beer paraphenelia after MY folks left the day before. :lol

I lucked out the first half of freshman year and had 3 really cool roommates. Our room was pretty much everyone on the floor's consensus pick for best room.

Then 2nd semester, one of the kids (the tall one that looked like napoleon dynamite and listened to nothing but Deltron and the Beastie Boys) left and was replaced by a douchebag drug dealer who proceeded to rob about 10 rooms, including mine, and threatened people with guns when they confronted him. That was fun.

I lucked out the first half of freshman year and had 3 really cool roommates. Our room was pretty much everyone on the floor's consensus pick for best room.

Then 2nd semester, one of the kids (the tall one that looked like napoleon dynamite and listened to nothing but Deltron and the Beastie Boys) left and was replaced by a douchebag drug dealer who proceeded to rob about 10 rooms, including mine, and threatened people with guns when they confronted him. That was fun.

i remember that! you should have hazed him w/ hot dogs, the bastard!

I'm pretty sure he got arrested last year, since he was living in my building for about a week and then disappeared.

I will say that before he robbed me he wasn't a bad roommate, and was even pretty generous, so I never had to pay for weed during that semester. That was a plus.

my moving into college story:

so, i move my stuff in on freshman move-in day and make myself scarce the next day for a few hours around the time he said he'd be getting there. turns out, he left EIU after his first semester to go into AA. he told his folks that the housing arranged for him to be given a roomate who was also in the program as well.

Eastern Illinois University? That's where everyone under 21 from U of I went to get served.

at my school Pikes were dicks. TKEs were geeks, and Delta Sigs had all the money (and their own private mansion off campus). It is interesting reading sentiments of parents dropping their children off at college. i moved away for college and drove myself there, no accompanying parent. talk about a terrifying day. kudos to the supportive parents.

and i second bobbob, a kid with a good head on their shoulders will do fine.

college is great!

About two out of 3 of those would have been my school. Pikes were the Animal House on campus. No hazings, other than having to spring for beers or stupid pranks that you'd do with you'd pull on your college roommates anyway. It just seemed like a lot of $$ to me for some post school business contacts and not much more benefits of just hanging out with decent folk.

The comments on being level headed and doing fine are well taken. But that first year/semester is often a case of getting your head screwed on by choice or by consequences.