I always think it's kind of sad that the best U.S. political show and pretty much the only decent one that I've seen has to be dressed up as a comedy to get the majority of Americans to watch it so they can get their point across. Don't get me wrong, the John Daily Show is brilliant, but compared to some of the coverage you get on the BBC, Paxman in particular, it just pales in comparison.

I also love the way the best political commentator in the U.S. was in Jay and Silent Bob Stike Back

This is a weird thought -- which might mean it would be effective. They've placed the race card, gender card, age card, all manner of negative campaigning. Has anyone ever tried to play a humorous ad campaign for an elected office (other than Robin Williams, Pat Paulson and, unintentionally, Ross Perot)? I don't mean silly party silly, but using a sophisticated Daily Show to point out indescrepencies like these in a candidates bytes? A broad humored "c'mon!" to those who say such silliness. To a jaded public, such an approach, in limited fashion, might be quite effective.

This is a weird thought -- which might mean it would be effective. They've placed the race card, gender card, age card, all manner of negative campaigning. Has anyone ever tried to play a humorous ad campaign for an elected office (other than Robin Williams, Pat Paulson and, unintentionally, Ross Perot)? I don't mean silly party silly, but using a sophisticated Daily Show to point out indescrepencies like these in a candidates bytes? A broad humored "c'mon!" to those who say such silliness. To a jaded public, such an approach, in limited fashion, might be quite effective.

If that approach was ever used (a snowball's chance in hell that it would be), it would be used by the left, and therefore would be tarred and feathered as 'elitist' and 'smarmy.'

This is a weird thought -- which might mean it would be effective. They've placed the race card, gender card, age card, all manner of negative campaigning. Has anyone ever tried to play a humorous ad campaign for an elected office (other than Robin Williams, Pat Paulson and, unintentionally, Ross Perot)? I don't mean silly party silly, but using a sophisticated Daily Show to point out indescrepencies like these in a candidates bytes

Although not put out in candidate bytes, if I ever see a better political campaign message than this I will be an extremely happy man

Like I said last night, I love Stewart and Colbert and their shows, but the crowds are obnoxious. He could get laughs from them for doing his really terrible and unfunny Bush impression and for a while there about a year ago, that's all Jon did. I'm glad he's gotten away from it, but the interviews are unbearable. Anytime he makes a point against Bush or republicans or for Obama, the crowd goes wild and the person being interviewed has to wait 5-10 seconds to answer. Even if it's the most obvious point ever.

Like I said last night, I love Stewart and Colbert and their shows, but the crowds are obnoxious. He could get laughs from them for doing his really terrible and unfunny Bush impression and for a while there about a year ago, that's all Jon did. I'm glad he's gotten away from it, but the interviews are unbearable. Anytime he makes a point against Bush or republicans or for Obama, the crowd goes wild and the person being interviewed has to wait 5-10 seconds to answer. Even if it's the most obvious point ever.

There's one episode from a few months back where he takes a shot at Obama and it's like crickets in there. He says something like, "it IS okay to laugh at him sometimes." I like Stewart's interviews now, but he was a terrible interviewer when he first started. But I agree the crowd is full of left wing homers. I wish he'd push their buttons more with jabs at Obama and the Dems. They might rush the stage if he dared make fun of young voter darling Ron Paul.

There's one episode from a few months back where he takes a shot at Obama and it's like crickets in there. He says something like, "it IS okay to laugh at him sometimes." I like Stewart's interviews now, but he was a terrible interviewer when he first started. But I agree the crowd is full of left wing homers. I wish he'd push their buttons more with jabs at Obama and the Dems. They might rush the stage if he dared make fun of young voter darling Ron Paul.

I referenced that the other day and people wrote it off as one uptight audience, so who knows...

Well, you should know that Moe_Syzlak is a Republican, so you should probably write his opinion off as partisan, anyway. ;)

Well that's not really true. I would call myself an independent that votes Dem more often than GOP these days. But, in truth, my ideology falls most closely in line with that of Lincoln Republicans. Unfortunately, the GOP resembles this less than the Dems these days.

n142962.jpg

You can call me Terry!

Well that's not really true. I would call myself an independent that votes Dem more often than GOP these days. But, in truth, my ideology falls most closely in line with that of Lincoln Republicans. Unfortunately, the GOP resembles this less than the Dems these days.

I was just screwing with bobbob. :)

He's also more willing to set up his interviews, to let them swat out a few jokes. He gives them their space, and given the context, he does manage to get a good share of their message out along with the jokes.

Anytime he makes a point against Bush or republicans or for Obama, the crowd goes wild and the person being interviewed has to wait 5-10 seconds to answer. Even if it's the most obvious point ever.

I think that has much to do with major network interviewers often failing to ask even the most obvious questions. Example, the video responsible for this thread

so you're saying he should pander to the right a bit more to attract a bit more balanced audience? ;)

not saying i disagree with you (although like any live audience TV show, they have people who pump up the crowd before taping and during even sometimes), just don't think he's ever had that many right wing fans... irony and humor is often lost on them it seems when it comes to politics. i can't help but laugh about 90% of politics because it's mostly all bullshit at the end of the day.

so you're saying he should pander to the right a bit more to attract a bit more balanced audience? ;)

not saying i disagree with you (although like any live audience TV show, they have people who pump up the crowd before taping and during even sometimes), just don't think he's ever had that many right wing fans... irony and humor is often lost on them it seems when it comes to politics. i can't help but laugh about 90% of politics because it's mostly all bullshit at the end of the day.

So republicans get all of the morals and you guys get hip hop and jokes?

I don't want him to pander to anyone, least of all me. I just think his show would be that much more entertaining if the audience didn't suck.

I've been a fan of him in the past. Maybe it's just me, but it seems he's become more and more one-sided since Bush was elected and it's turned me off to him. It may also be the audience, like bobsquared mentioned. I don't mind the jokes so much as the 30 seconds of applause after every anti-Republican comment.

I've been a fan of him in the past. Maybe it's just me, but it seems he's become more and more one-sided since Bush was elected and it's turned me off to him. It may also be the audience, like bobsquared mentioned. I don't mind the jokes so much as the 30 seconds of applause after every anti-Republican comment.

Ikol/bobbob '24!