Ghost Busters!

So, Columbia Pictures has been jerking us [Ghost Busters] fans around for years with rumors of a third movie. The long time rumor was that it would be an animation. Yuck. Well, the major news networks reported that Columbia is actually going to make another live action Ghost Busters movie, starting the original guys. However, instead of Ramis and Akroyd writing the script, two of the writers/EP of "The Office" will write it. Being a huge GB fan, I am, needless to say very excited about this and the upcoming video game. Anyone else?

B)

Ramis, Murray, Aykroyd, and Hudson are rumored to be attached, along with new additions Seth Rogen, Steve Carell, and Paul Rudd. But who knows? There isn't even a script yet. These kind of announcements tend to come and go.

The original Ghostbusters was one of the first movies I ever saw on the big screen. (It was also the first movie my dad took me to after my parents got divorced.)

Hell I even liked Ghostbusters II. There is every possibility that a new one could be good, since we now have gobs of CGI to throw at it, but somehow the chemistry of the movies was what made them work ultimately.

LouieB

Ramis, Murray, Aykroyd, and Hudson are rumored to be attached, along with new additions Seth Rogen, Steve Carell, and Paul Rudd. But who knows? There isn't even a script yet. These kind of announcements tend to come and go.

The original Ghostbusters was one of the first movies I ever saw on the big screen. (It was also the first movie my dad took me to after my parents got divorced.)

What's your take on making sequels to films 20 + years down the road? I think it is a bit odd - lack of new ideas, or as LB said, a sure money maker. Who is the target audience - people our age?

What's your take on making sequels to films 20 + years down the road? I think it is a bit odd - lack of new ideas, or as LB said, a sure money maker. Who is the target audience - people our age?
Anyone with money in their pocket and a few hours to kill, that's about it....Oh yea, let's throw the hottest young comedy stars at an old idea and hope for the best, also brilliant (insert sarcasim here...)

Ramis lives in the Chicago and could be making great pictures, Chicago has great locations, and employing lots of young film folks (like my soon to be graduated daughter), but instead he is talking about this kind of stuff. There are plenty of new scripts and talented actors right here too and with his money and influence he could be a film industry unto himself making smaller pictures (Once did pretty well with exactly this sort of philosophy) and puttng Chicago on the map cinema wise.

Not very articulalate this AM, but you catch my drift.

LouieB

I took it as Rogen, Rudd and the folks making the film loved the Ghostbusters films and wanted the opportunity to make the 3rd with the original cast and writers.

I took it as Rogen, Rudd and the folks making the film loved the Ghostbusters films and wanted the opportunity to make the 3rd with the original cast and writers.

It just seems odd to me. I suppose I am thinking of the recent Indiana Jones film - which I have not seen - but, as I recall, most people thought was junk.

Well, my reaction is always on a case-by-case basis. Usually the reasons for a return to an old property are cynical--as Lou said, it's typically about money, about cashing in on nostalgia--but sometimes the return is worthwhile or welcome. I guess I'm always hopeful that things will turn out well; occasionally a movie proves to be an exception to the crap rule.

My childhood memories of Star Wars and Indiana Jones were tarnished in part by terrible modern updates to the series.

I still have Ghostbusters and Back to the Future, though, and I'd rather those memories not get F'ed up.

My childhood memories of Star Wars and Indiana Jones were tarnished in part by terrible modern updates to the series.

I still have Ghostbusters and Back to the Future, though, and I'd rather those memories not get F'ed up.

Back to the Future - I think reading somewhere that film was going to be re-made.

Back to the Future - I think reading somewhere that film was going to be re-made.

I am trying to think of a recent remake (I don't think the batman reboot really counts as a remake...) that I thought was even remotely worth making...and the only thing i can come up with is the Departed. In general, remaking classic films is just setting yourself up to fail.

I think it ranks right down there with remakes of movies 20 years down the road, and remaking 20-40-year-old TV shows into movies. They're usually either cheap knock-offs to make money, misdirected nostalgia pieces that have no remnant to the original spark, or are new directions taken by someone completely unassociated with the original that rarely find the spark.

I am trying to think of a recent remake (I don't think the batman reboot really counts as a remake...) that I thought was even remotely worth making...and the only thing i can come up with is the Departed. In general, remaking classic films is just setting yourself up to fail.

I've been reading that The Highlander (the first movie) is going to be redone - I don't much like that.

I've been reading that The Highlander (the first movie) is going to be redone - I don't much like that.

:realmad

I heard something about a remake of Escape from New York without Kurt Russell. No thanks!

Ghost Busters was the single greatest movie experience of my life (albeit I was 10 years old).

I have my doubts about a new one. I was dissappointed by Indy 4 and all Star Wars Manekin Skywalker Prequels (both franchises also ranked high on my early film life, obviously).

I'm actually a huge Ghosthead. A member of Ghostbuster message boards, and an owner of 7 Ghostbusters t-shirts hahaha.

So, yes, I'm excited. Although, it's a long way off. Columbia did order the script, after finding out how popular it still was (WTF), but it's a long way from a green light. Paul Rudd is rumored.

www.protoncharging.com for all news

yes, columbia is developing a script for GB3 with my year one writing partners, gene stupnitsky and lee eisenberg. judd apatow is co-producing year one and has made several other films for sony, so of course the studio is hoping to tap into some of the same acting talent. aykroyd, ivan reitman and i are consulting at this point, and according to dan, bill murray is willing to be involved on some level. he did record his dialogue for the new ghostbusters video game, as did danny and i, and ernie hudson. the concept is that the old ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity. not much else to say at this point. everyone is confident a decent script can be written and i guess we

Well I would hope the old stars put their voices on the video game; why the hell wouldn't they?? That is an entirely different issue and pure money for all concerned. There is the occasional good remake or sequel (The Dark Night for instance,) so we shall see.

Hey what's the deal on the Watchmen movie?? I am rereading the book in preparation. I have high hopes for this IF they keep it in the time period when it was originally set. Otherwise they could fuck that up royaly.

LouieB

Well I would hope the old stars put their voices on the video game; why the hell wouldn't they?? That is an entirely different issue and pure money for all concerned. There is the occasional good remake or sequel (The Dark Night for instance,) so we shall see.

Hey what's the deal on the Watchmen movie?? I am rereading the book in preparation. I have high hopes for this IF they keep it in the time period when it was originally set. Otherwise they could fuck that up royaly.

LouieB

It might never see the light of day:

On February 8, 2008 (as filming was finishing), Fox launched a lawsuit against Warner Bros., as producer Lawrence Gordon never paid out the studio as he sought a new studio to develop the project. In August, a judge denied Warner Bros.' motion to dismiss the lawsuit, meaning some of the film's gross might have to go to Fox. However, Fox has stated their goal is to see the movie's release blocked.

At the very least, there is going to be a delay.

Play It Again, Eddie Murphy

Tuesday September 9 9:49 AM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - There are two things most people remember about the Beverly Hills Cop movies: Eddie Murphy as Detective Axel Foley and the flick's Grammy-winning theme song.

Well, when Beverly Hills Cop IV goes into production, director Brett Ratner promises both will be back.

"It's a whole new interpretation," Ratner tells me.

Composer-producer Harold Faltermeyer's synth-pop theme will get an update, but not too much. "Why change that song?" Ratner says.

He goes so far as to say that one of the "biggest problems" with director Michael Mann's movie adaptation of Miami Vice with Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx in 2006 was the missing iconic theme song.

"I said to [Mann], 'Why didn't you have it?' " Ratner says. "He said, 'We're doing something new.' That's like doing Mission Impossible without the theme song."

Production on BHC IV will reportedly begin next year with a 2010 release date, or 25 years after the first installment of the franchise.

Ratner is also busy putting together a DVD about the music videos he's directed for people like Madonna, Jessica Simpson and Miley Cyrus, to name a few. "They're interviewing all the singers I've worked with," Ratner says. "I'm worried."

For me this news is eh... I thought ghost busters I was OK, nothing great, nothing horrible. GBII - total shite. I don't know why they do this other than $$. Of course every picture is made to make $$ otherwise no invests in it, but to me that appears to be the sole reason and it's not good enough.