We're Financial Moguls!!!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. One day's up market does not a sustained increase make.

Of course, but anyone who sold last week locked in losses and has already missed 5% of the upside from today. I am not going to question your brother -- I am sure he knows what he is doing. But for purposes of this discussion, waiting for a sustained increase, after selling at a low point, only ensures that you've locked in your loss. You need to be in for the rally back to make up what you lost when you sold.

I think the fact that the Europe and Asia are now helping out along with the fact our near trillion dollars is coming is creating more more confidence. This will brings things back for the time being.

I guess if we go down in the future, we will bring Europe and Asia with us.

Who at AIG thinks this is ok?

New York state attorney general orders AIG to end 'extravagant' expenditures

Cash-strapped insurance giant's executives recently flew by private jet to a partridge hunting party in Britain

Andrew Clark in New York

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday October 15 2008 23.22 BST

larger | smaller

The cash-strapped American insurance company AIG has been ordered to "cease and desist" improper use of taxpayers' money after senior executives flew by private jet to a partridge hunting party at a 17th century English manor house.

New York state's attorney general, Andrew Cuomo, today accused AIG of breaking the law by bankrolling "unwarranted and outrageous" junkets in the wake of a $123bn bail-out by the US government to save the firm from bankruptcy.

"The party is over," said Cuomo at a press conference. "No more hunting trips. No more luxury resorts. They are not going to have the party and leave the hangover for taxpayers."

A Sunday newspaper revealed that a group of AIG's European bosses spent more than

Oil has dropped below $70. Right now, I'm paying around $2.50/gallon for gas. That's affecting my personal bottom line much more than the Dow. Especially since my wife's employer (Wells Fargo) went up yesterday despite the market's tank and their less than hoped for earnings report.

I wouldn't mind joining a credit union, but the closest branch is in Ann Arbor, which is 30 miles away. Plus, I'd have a fee any time I would use an ATM around here because none of them are credit union ATMs. At least with my bank, there's a branch and an ATM in town.

My credit union is part of 2 or 3 networks of banks that mutually offer free ATM withdrawals or deposits. It's saweet.

Edit: Said Ann Arbor CU also seems to part of one http://www.co-opfs.org/public/locators/atmlocator/index.cfm , check there to see if there are any nearby.

Where I am there are only 4 within a 15 mile radius, the closest being over 5 miles away. If I were closer to Ann Arbor, it would definitely be feasible.

I take that back, there are 2 within a 10 mile radius, once I get to 12.5 miles, there are a bunch of them, many in restricted areas like Ford plants and such. Still too far for me to use for my daily banking.

I have lived in Ann Arbor now for over nine years, but my account is still with my longtime credit union in Kalamazoo, over 100 miles away. I just never saw a need to move my account over here -- I use my debit card for most things, I get cash mostly at the grocery store (cash back on debit purchases with no fees), and there are enough "free" ATMs around that I never go wanting. I even took out a car loan through my CU using a local credit union service center over in Ypsilanti.

Plus, a year or two ago my CU struck an agreement with 5/3 Bank that allows me to use their ATMs for free, so that really opened up my ATM options. :dancing

And yes, I :wub my credit union.

So..... alot has happened.

Govt buying $250 billion in major bank stocks with requirements on certain practices with no choice given to the banks. = PURELY WRONG!!! I cant believe we are letting this happen. What is our country coming to?

Also can anyone explain to me what they mean when they say they will buy up bad mortgages and help the buyer refinance so they can make things work? Isnt too general of a statement? What if there is huge losses that cant be paid, where do they go?

Does the govt actually think that people will suddenly start saving now and pay everything back later after we bail them out of their bad risks? This whole thing is gonna make a bigger explosion.

But anyways, today Buffett publically announced he is buying up stocks with his personal funds and think we should. Stocks are rising.

• 2 weeks later...

To get back to our earlier discussion -- if you lost a lot in the market over the last month or two, you did NOT want to be on the sidelines today. Waiting for the rally often means missing the rally. Up 10% today.

(Who knows if it's not just down 9% again tomorrow, but still...)