The best of Nick Drake...

I think I may have mentioned this once before on this site, but my fiance and I were thinking of using Drake's "Pink Moon" for our wedding as the first dance with our folks. It seemed like a good choice because it is short and has no specific sexual references. But ....that was when we thought the "pink moon" was allegory for love. The a friend told us it is meant to represent the apocalypse. Ha! :lol I guess I can see it in the lyrics now knowing that and knowing Drake's history of depression. Can anyone confirm or refute that? Might not be the best song to kick off a marriage if that's the case! :lol

Hmm... I hadn't heard of the apocalypse interpretation. I always just saw it as a really beautiful tune. Thanks to that Volkwagen commercial (how non-hipster of me) I became obsessed with it when I was 14, and subsequently got into Nick Drake. I listen to his three albums probably as much or more than anything else in my collection. With the possible exception of the Velvet Underground (if you ignore Squeeze and please do so), I can't think of any artist with a discography as consistently brilliant (much as I love the Beatles, it's not to often I reach for Please Please Me), though I suppose only releasing three albums helps.

--Mike

Other great autumn music...

The Beatles: Rubber Soul and the acoustic songs from the White Album

The Rolling Stones: Between the Buttons and subsequently the entire Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack

The Velvet Underground: self-titled third album.

Both the Bill Fay albums.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

John Cale: Vintage Violence

George Harrison: All Things Must Pass

Galaxie 500: On Fire

Van Morrison: Astral Weeks

Fran

To me, The Creek Drank the Cradle will always be the ultimate autumn album. Reminds me of walking my old dog in the forest when I was 17, when the leaves were all golden and red... :( Good memories.

I also think Magnolia Electric Co - What Comes After The Blues would be good in the fall.

Maybe, just maybe, Nirvana's Unplugged...... but you didn't hear that from me!

I always liked Matt Sharp's Puckett's vs the County Boy EP in the fall, but that might be a bit too slow for a lot of people.

Oh maybe some old Will Oldham (Palace) when it was just him and his guitar.... the "You Will Miss Me When I Burn" style stuff.

This was my spring album also, it's awesome in any context. Why aren't these guys more popular?

--Mike

Lots of news on them in old posts....why not??

Maybe because Kevin Junior dropped out (due to a bad drug problem) just when they had a chance to make it big and they are still (still) trying to recover. It ain't easy coming back with all the competition one has in the music biz....

LouieB

Lots of news on them in old posts....why not??

Maybe because Kevin Junior dropped out (due to a bad drug problem) just when they had a chance to make it big and they are still (still) trying to recover. It ain't easy coming back with all the competition one has in the music biz....

LouieB

Yeah, the fact that their record label kind of went kaput didn't help them either. If not for Glorious Noise I don't think I'd have ever heard of these guys. It's just a little baffling to me that they have such a small presence even in the indie scene when they have an album as good Month of Sundays. It's one of the great undiscovered gems of the era, maybe 30 years from now people we'll be talking about them like we talk about the equally obscure in his day, Nick Drake.

Any update on their new album, Lou? You said awhile back they were having problems getting a label to pick them up? If it's half as good as Month of Sundays, you'd figure Drag City or someone would be all over it.

--Mike