Cline and Kotche - Hungry Brain

Talk about awesome, I already have tickets to ravi shankar at 3, then glenn and nels at 10, SWEET!

Anyone know what the cover is? I've tried calling the bar without any luck.

Talk about awesome, I already have tickets to ravi shankar at 3, then glenn and nels at 10, SWEET!

Anyone know what the cover is? I've tried calling the bar without any luck.

Usually it is a suggested donation on Sunday nights. Normally Josh Berman, one of the curators, walks around with a hat and you chip in what you want for for the most part. This Sunday may be different or it the suggested donation may be a bit more than the usual $6 to $10 range.

You probably can throw an email to contact@emergingimprovisers.org. and someone will let you know.

I am pretty pissed off that I am not in Chicago right now (at college, but I am from the suburbs of the windy city) because this should be a great show since it's not only Nels and Glenn but Jim Baker and Fred Longberg-Holm.

But I am still thinking about contemplating a drive maybe?

Are you going Lou?

I got to see Jim Baker with Thurston Moore and Avreeyal Ra a couple years back, he's awesome. I'm really looking forward to this show.
Jim Baker is an unsung and highly unusual Chicago keyboard player. It is good to see someone from the Chicago improvisors community playing with some big names. This should be a weird and very fun show.

(When are we finally going to see Jim's group at Hotti Biscotti??? We have only been planning this for about 2 years... :lol )

lou? you going?
If at all possible...I certainly would not miss it.... I plan to be there....

LouieB

Kris, I'd forgotten Jim Baker was part of that Sun Ra tribute with Thurston and Avreeyal Ra. That was a great show, and I'm sure this will be too.
I have seen Jim Baker many times (Fred also) and he is amazing in any context. He is a long time collaborator with Ken Vandermark and that whole crowd. Strange guy though. Often wears heavy coats on hot days....

LouieB

This gig was such a gas....not your usual indie rock extravaganza, but a true inprovisational summit to be sure, with four master musicians sharing a stage for the sheer joy of trying to do the craziest shit imaginable. (As mentioned 2/3 of Wilco was in the house, although an Autumn Defense show did NOT break out...)

The first mini-set was Fred Lonberg-Holm and Glenn. Glenn played in Fred's trio prior to Wilco so they know each other. They played two "pieces", both with Fred going nuts on cello and Glenn using his prepared snare, tom tom and an array of small percussion instruments. It took a while for thing to get moving and I found the second of their improvs to be more convincing and frankly moving.

The second mini set was Nels and Jim Baker, both of whom wrenched the most incredible sounds out of their instruments and really blended well I thought, with the crazy noisy shit first and the more melodic and integrated stuff second. (Improvs tend to be fast and loud or soft and slow...) Considering they are not regular collaborators what they did was stunning as far as I was concerned.

The third mini set, which was longer than the others, was all four of them going nuts; an incredible sight and aural sensation. Again I thought the chemistry between Jim and Nels was significant, whereas Glenn at times was drowned out by the volume of the proceedings. By the end even the musicians themselves appeared genuinely moved by their creation. It was a strange and magical night, the Hungry Brain being packed out and everyone attentive in the audience.

I had a few minutes with Glenn at the end to let him know how much I enjoyed his peformance of Anomaly at Ravinia and I asked if it was going to be recorded. Glenn said he sure hoped so for either one of his solo albums or the Kronos Quartet, since he had worked so hard on it. I concurred that it needed to be waxed. Glenn was also nice enough to say that I had perfect attendance since I have shown up at all sorts of little shows he has played around Chicago over the years. It was nice that he noticed.

As Wilco fans we are terribly lucky that we get to see the various members shine in other situations. Earlier in the evening Glenn was very self effacing about the fact that this was just improv and they hadn't done anything like this for awhile, but ultimately each improvisor gave their all to great effect. Nels rocking back and forth and pulling notes from every concievable part of the guitar and the pedels and Jim Baker playing analog synth and electric piano like the master he is. Not to slight Fred or Glenn, but Baker is a strange and amazing musician who is virtually unknown and deserving of more notority.

LouieB

due to my location at the bar, I couldn't get any shots of the stage, but here's some "video" I shot. You can't see shit, but at least you can hear what was going on.

EDIT: these are all from the 3rd set

Edited by Just for Mund
This gig was such a gas....not your usual indie rock extravaganza, but a true inprovisational summit to be sure, with four master musicians sharing a stage for the sheer joy of trying to do the craziest shit imaginable. (As mentioned 2/3 of Wilco was in the house, although an Autumn Defense show did NOT break out...)

The first mini-set was Fred Lonberg-Holm and Glenn. Glenn played in Fred's trio prior to Wilco so they know each other. They played two "pieces", both with Fred going nuts on cello and Glenn using his prepared snare, tom tom and an array of small percussion instruments. It took a while for thing to get moving and I found the second of their improvs to be more convincing and frankly moving.

The second mini set was Nels and Jim Baker, both of whom wrenched the most incredible sounds out of their instruments and really blended well I thought, with the crazy noisy shit first and the more melodic and integrated stuff second. (Improvs tend to be fast and loud or soft and slow...) Considering they are not regular collaborators what they did was stunning as far as I was concerned.

The third mini set, which was longer than the others, was all four of them going nuts; an incredible sight and aural sensation. Again I thought the chemistry between Jim and Nels was significant, whereas Glenn at times was drowned out by the volume of the proceedings. By the end even the musicians themselves appeared genuinely moved by their creation. It was a strange and magical night, the Hungry Brain being packed out and everyone attentive in the audience.

I had a few minutes with Glenn at the end to let him know how much I enjoyed his peformance of Anomaly at Ravinia and I asked if it was going to be recorded. Glenn said he sure hoped so for either one of his solo albums or the Kronos Quartet, since he had worked so hard on it. I concurred that it needed to be waxed. Glenn was also nice enough to say that I had perfect attendance since I have shown up at all sorts of little shows he has played around Chicago over the years. It was nice that he noticed.

As Wilco fans we are terribly lucky that we get to see the various members shine in other situations. Earlier in the evening Glenn was very self effacing about the fact that this was just improv and they hadn't done anything like this for awhile, but ultimately each improvisor gave their all to great effect. Nels rocking back and forth and pulling notes from every concievable part of the guitar and the pedels and Jim Baker playing analog synth and electric piano like the master he is. Not to slight Fred or Glenn, but Baker is a strange and amazing musician who is virtually unknown and deserving of more notority.

LouieB

Great review. I wish I could have been there, but I am thinking about going to see the Vandermark 5 on Oct 14th since I am going to be back in Chicago that day. I'll send you a pm tomorrow if your interested in going.

Phil

You guys are so lucky. Nothing like this ever happens here. They don't call it "Nap Town" for nothing, you know. :P

You guys are so lucky. Nothing like this ever happens here. They don't call it "Nap Town" for nothing, you know. :P
I know...sickening isn't it?? But we put up with plenty of crap living here, so this offsets that....

nice review Lou. One of these times I will make it downtown for these shows.
The Hungry Brain is not downtown, it is off in the middle of nowhere actually. This and the series at the Hideout and a bunch of other crazy stuff (Baker plays every week with his own group and I have never made it to one of the gigs) can keep you running and this is just the improv/jazz scene (not mentioning the Velvet Lounge...etc.)

LouieB