Record-book connections

Have you ever read a book at the same time as listening to an album and felt a real connection between the two? I'm listening too Bavarian Fruit Bread by Hope Sandoval and it always reminds me of when I read Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar back in '01(?) The way I feel about one has effected the other.

Anybody else felt the same?

I can't really do both at the same time so well either. If I do have music on while reading, it has to be something instrumental. If someone is singing, I just listen to their words and lose track of what's going on in the book.

Have you ever read a book at the same time as listening to an album and felt a real connection between the two? I'm listening too Bavarian Fruit Bread by Hope Sandoval and it always reminds me of when I read Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar back in '01(?) The way I feel about one has effected the other.

Anybody else felt the same?

Absolutely!

Especially when I was reading this:

0871132907.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And listening to this:

B000025558.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I can't really do both at the same time so well either. If I do have music on while reading, it has to be something instrumental. If someone is singing, I just listen to their words and lose track of what's going on in the book.

This is definitely true for me. If I'm listening and reading at the same time, either I'll be listening to the music and find after a few pages that I have to go back and re-read them, because I've got no idea what I just read; or else I'll stop at the end of a chapter and find that I have no idea what was coming out of my headphones for the past few songs.

After much practice and trial and error (and sweating), I have mastered the art of reading while exercising on a stationary bike (provided the book, unlike its owner, is slim enough to fit into the little book holder thingy attached to the

I have to have music on when I read, usually.

The biggest connection I've found was Love Is A Mixtape by Rob Sheffield and Boys & Girls In America by the Hold Steady. That combo kicked my ass one night.

Alright, we

I've always found that HST's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" and the Allman's "Live at Fillmore East" is a good combination.

I listened to some Dosh while reading The Devil in the White City some and those worked well enough together. The energy in his beats added to the whole intense pressure to get the buildings up, meet deadlines, and everything in the book.

Gabriel-era Genesis and early American literature. (An 11th-grade thing.)

i can't do artwork without listening to opera at the same time.