Worst Member of Great Bands

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roger Daltrey. He's done some great vocal work, but he's a cheeseball and The Who (or whatever band Pete and the boys would've formed without him) would be one of my favorite bands if he didn't exist.

Completely agree, but I wasn't gonna be the one to take this bullet.

I may ruffle a few feathers here, but Garth Hudson of the Band sucked. He was a technically great player and when he played piano, came up with some great lines. However, his cheesy, out of tune synth sounds nearly ruin the entire catalog of The Band. I can't believe no one ever called him out on it. Really, just watch the Last Waltz and listen to him vomit all over Mannish Boy, Helpless, and well... pretty much everything.

I can't believe how many people disagree with this one. The man was awful, the band was subsequently intolerable for me.

Roger Daltrey. He's done some great vocal work, but he's a cheeseball and The Who (or whatever band Pete and the boys would've formed without him) would be one of my favorite bands if he didn't exist.

I hate these threads.

Freshman year of high school I used to say, "The Who have my favorite drummer, guitarist, and bassist in rock. But they'll never be my favorite band because of Roger Daltry". Nowadays only the last part is true.

Freshman year of high school I used to say, "The Who have my favorite drummer, guitarist, and bassist in rock. But they'll never be my favorite band because of Roger Daltry". Nowadays only the last part is true.

Great - the dude who called Ringo 'mediocre' is backing me up. Maybe I should rethink my position on Roger. :lol

Bono

I would say that the talent line of U2 from worst to best (to be used as a guide for who would be easiest to replace) would be

Adam Clayton

Larry Mullen Jr.

The Edge

Bono

Clayton could be replaced by someone who has been playing bass for 1 year or less, versus there's not many people who have the range to sing The Unforgettable Fire.

Anyone who says Ringo was the weakest link in the Beatles deserves to burn in the fiery pits of Hell. There is no weak link in the Beatles, only the four strongest fucking links ever made in the history of music.

Thank you. Basically the point I've been trying to make: a good band is made up of good parts. A band with one weak part is not a good band.

Clayton could be replaced by someone who has been playing bass for 1 year or less

Then why wasn't he? He obviously brought something tangible to the band or else he wouldn't be in the band. I could say the same thing about Daltrey/Talbot/Hudson/etc. If they were truly weak links the bands themselves would be unlistenable.

I hate these threads.

Thank you, too. Shit makes no sense.

It's a valid thread - I mean, I've thought about how much I don't like Daltrey at least as much as I've thought about how much I do like say - The Ramones for instance.

Oh, I know. It just does not make any sense to me though. All of these bands had these dudes when they became famous (for lack of a better term) - so I generally look at them as they are - all the dudes playing their part (no matter how small) to make the song.

Mahavishnu Orchestra would be so great if it weren't for that damned Jan Hammer.

Damn. Busting on the good Captain and Jan in a single day?

::takes blood pressure meds, counts to 10:: :lol

Because they're good friends?

Hey, that may not seem like a big deal, but they could have gotten some hot-shot bass player that wasn't a friend and it could have ruined the band. Personal chemistry trumps virtuosity any day of the week.

So if Adam Clayton's not the worst member of U2, who is?

Stuart. He played bass for U2 when Adam Clayton was too hungover to go onstage in Australia. I know what you're thinking, and yes, supermodels were involved.